Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

First radiation alert for US Midwest, Ontario, Quebec. More to come on Thurs and Fri for West coast.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by triplescorpio

Don't get me wrong everyone. I think the reactors in Japan are an issue, they have the potential to be a major health issue for the people of Japan and have a toxic impact on the rest of the world, plus this issue will be used by the Neo-ludites to try and get everyone to stop using nuclear.

That said what I was trying to get across is that at this point in time I'm not seeing any rises in radiation where I am, and I think that most people don't realize how the detectors on those sites work/report. I'd rather people understood the issues rather than panicing because a sensor somewhere had a short spike. Since we can't see the detector we have no idea where or how they are set up and since they are set up and run by volunteers I'd take them with a grain of salt.

A few years back a coworker paniced when there detector gave a really high reading. Turns out they had it set to counts per hour but though it was set to counts per minute so when they read the reading they were getting a reading 60 times higher then it really was, which caused about 30 seconds of panic. Our old machine has a needle gage on top that shows "counts per unit" and a three position switch on the end that sets, "per second, per minute or per hour scale".

I once left the storage case for mine in front of the sensor, the storage case has a small cesium "pellet" in it for calibrating the detector, which artificially made my readings higher. I've also seen mine spike when the radiography tech walked right in front of it.

The point being that lots of things cause short spikes and most of those are not dangerous.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by exile1981

dont worry dude i wast getting you worng i kind of agreed i think :puz ?????? im losing track within all these threads of late but it makes for good viewin here at ATS......

Be Well
Triple:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by lcbjr1979

With all due respect, i think you should read some of the other threads before you make that statement,

The nuclear bombs that were dropped during the war did NOT contain the same deadly ingredients that have been released at the Japan reactor sites.

These include, Plutonium, Uranium and Mox fuels AND Radiation.

Hear is a very informative one:
abovetopsecret...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

if there are any venture capitalist out there reading this, let me make you rich. If you can create a portable cell phone sized geiger counter that attaches to your belt with a clip holder that is programmable and when the device reads a certain level of radiation (say 500 uR or higher) then it sets off an alarm or rings like a cell phone and manufacture it to the public, you just might get rich with those things as they would sell like hotcakes, just like the Potassium Iodide pills. Or maybe there is an iPhone App which connects with a radiation reporting station and pings all cell phones in an area code with a text message alert based on your location. I don't know, maybe there is already such a device invented. But if not, please share your riches with me when you make ur first million, lol I really do need to pay off some bills.

Putting them into production now.
edit on 17-3-2011 by ImmortalIntegrity because: quote

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Oh man, a three legged, three breasted chick. I'm totally for nuclear power. GO FALLOUT!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

Originally posted by aboutface
reply to post by alchemist2012

Here`s a different screenshot. Screenshot

ummm, it may just be me
but that image looks faked.

if you will take a look at the number
in the gold box, the last digit of 4 looks
like a different font and is touching the
side of the circle. if the number had been 3
digits in length, wouldn't it format in the middle
of the box like the 16 is ??? the 4 at the end
looks like it has been added after the screenshot
was taken. it appears fake to me, you judge for
yourself.

the 4 in the 164 circle IS infact a different font when you compare it to the 4 in the circle of 14 to my eye the 4 in the 164 circle is a slightly wider font, close enough to MOST people's eyes but when you really examine it there is a difference.

i like how some people think that just because something bad is published it is true but anything positive published is a complete lie. What happened to taking both sides with a grain of salt?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by onyx718

The image does look like it may have been tampered with but, regardless, the page clearly states:

Do not panic because you see a high reading. Someone could be getting invalid readings.

Looks like someone missed that.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I dont know what to believe! If they wont tell the french guy in Japan the truth they sure wont be tellin us the truth. Panic will do no good so ive got some water stores and see what happens next.
edit on 17-3-2011 by Thunder heart woman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
The radar site in Las Vegas has now been turned off. It was showing 155 cpm and later 145 cpm all day. Either it was a malfunction or they turned it off to hide it from the public....

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by lcbjr1979
So let me get this straight. The radiation from these nuclear plants are supposed to make it all the way across the ocean, yet when we dropped two atomic bombs on them (which i am guessing had more radiation in them than what has leaked from the plants) wouldnt the radiation from them have followed the same jet stream and made it over here and make some headlines about mass deaths.

Exactly.

A nuclear explosion kicks up a hell of a lot of dirt into the atmosphere. The radiation clings to this dirt and creates nuclear fallout. These atomic 'shrooms' extend upwards of 20-30,000ft. I can understand the physics of this entering the jet-stream.

I do not understand how people expect a local explosion, maybe 1000ft high, to propel debris high and far enough to reach the jet-stream and consequently the US.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TETRA.X
The radar site in Las Vegas has now been turned off. It was showing 155 cpm and later 145 cpm all day. Either it was a malfunction or they turned it off to hide it from the public....

...haven't heard anything about it anywhere on local news and wouldn't the readings for CA or AZ be higher if it was spiking here in Vegas?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by OzGuy

I imagine you light your homes with light bulbs? If you had a reptile as a pet, say an iguana, you would also use a bulb for his tank. But you would use a bulb designed to give off more heat than light. Our light bulbs give off more light than heat (though they do get hot). The bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki were just that: BOMBS. While nuclear, they were designed to have an explosive payload. The radiation following was just fluff.

The nuclear reactors give off more radiation over a longer time. The half life of materials found in nuclear weapons is far shorter lived.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
This video shows a screen grab of the 235 reading in Bakersfield, CA

edit on 17-3-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

Why doesn't it bother you that someone is posting a scary number on a vid that is selling trinket "nukealerts" for $160.

And are these microroentgens? 235 microroentgens?

Can we maybe get some perspective and decide what is an acceptable and safe level? If we decide a cutoff between acceptable level and a dangerous level *before* it happens, then we can get worried if it ever does. In the mean time we can save ourselves the bother of reading though hundreds of pages of threads that are based on people trying to scam money.

This reminds me of that famous onion news video with a reporter raving about the dangerous "red concentric circles" flashing on a map. No one actually knows what the red concentric circles mean, but they must be bad because they're red and circular.
edit on 17-3-2011 by XtraTL because: Removed something I realised was not correct about 30s after I posted it

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by kittendaydreamer

I hope so! That's what I'm thinking. There are some areas like Denver that usually show higher readings, but that can be caused by higher altitude, etc.

I'm going to keep checking the stations on the west coast and keep an eye on them closely starting tomorrow.

If anything comes up, I will post it.

Also, I'm searching news threads all over....there seems to be less and less info coming out of Japan. The MSM is kind of holding back recently regarding the situation there..... Libya seems to be the big distraction now.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I think its time to panic..

complete and illogical panic. hoard food, buy ammo, take to the streets and burn down walmarts, shoot your neighbor and steal his daughters for breeding and food, then of course grab a shovel and dig 2 miles down and start your morlock existance.

something happened in japan...of course this means america is on the front lines!

wait...why are you even on the net? you are cutting into some serious panic time! You could have already duct taped your windows and wrapped yourself in plastic by now, but nooo, your sitting here reading..since when has reading and education ever helped anyone, now get out there and start your panic already.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by kylioneXsushi
reply to post by OzGuy

The bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki were just that: BOMBS. While nuclear, they were designed to have an explosive payload. The radiation following was just fluff.

The nuclear reactors give off more radiation over a longer time. The half life of materials found in nuclear weapons is far shorter lived.

Nope, the Hiroshima bomb was Uranium 235, half-life 700 million years.

The fissile material in reactor 1 at Fukushima is artificially enriched uranium. Enriched with what you ask? Uranium 235 of course. Half-life 700 million years.

Moreover, most of the Uranium in the Hiroshima bomb was not converted to energy, but vaporised into the atmosphere.

So I'm totally unconvinced by this oft-repeated argument.

I don't deny, however, that a nuclear reactor *can* spread more radiation than a nuclear bomb. But you've got an uphill battle to prove that this has happened or could happen at Fukushima.

What explosion do you think is going to cause it to spread? And where is the energy for that explosion going to come from? Figures please.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImmortalIntegrity
Putting them into production now.

Great !!!
I'll expect a royalty check
within the next 1,000 yrs

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TETRA.X

There was testing on it causing the spike
community environmental montiering plan
www.cemp.dri.edu...

Monthly calibration tests of the ion chambers located at the CEMP stations in Overton and Mesquite are scheduled to occur on March 17th, and at Las Vegas, Henderson, and Boulder City on March 18th. These calibration checks will result in brief spikes in gamma radiation readings which are not related to actual increases in background radiation.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
complete and illogical panic. hoard food, buy ammo, take to the streets and burn down walmarts, shoot your neighbor and steal his daughters for breeding and food, then of course grab a shovel and dig 2 miles down and start your morlock existence.

HEY !!! How'd u do that ???
Are you reading my computer files ???
lmao

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by kittendaydreamer

That's the best news I've received in days! Thanks! (time for me to take a deep breath and take a break from looking at the monitors.....)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join

Help ATS Recover with your Donation.
read more: Help ATS Recover With Your Contribution