It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First radiation alert for US Midwest, Ontario, Quebec. More to come on Thurs and Fri for West coast.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
three mile island is usually the most common reference that come to mind when thinking of a nuclear disaster occurring on u.s.soil, yet there have been numerous accounts of radioactive contamination and a dangerous level of safety violations occurring on a regular basis.

Tritium found in two storm drains at Salem nuclear power plant

www.pressofatlanticcity.com...

Posted: Friday, April 9, 2010 4:00 am | Updated: 5:56 am, Fri Apr 9, 2010. By MICHAEL MILLER, Staff Writer |

A radioactive isotope was found this week in two storm drain catch basins at the Salem 2 nuclear power plant in Lower Alloways Creek Township. Tritium, a carcinogen and byproduct of nuclear fission, was detected Tuesday at 1.1 million picocuries per liter in two catch basins. The federal safety standard for drinking water is 20,000 picocuries per liter.

Indian Point nuclear plant officials say amount of radioactive steam released was 'Insignificant' BY ABBY LUBY Read more: www.nydailynews.com...

www.nydailynews.com...

That cloud spewing out of the Indian Point nuclear plant last month wasn't a smoke signal - it was radioactive steam. For two days starting Nov. 2, an estimated 600,000 gallons of boiling, radioactive water escaped through a valve that was stuck open in the Unit 2 reactor of the nuclear power plant in Westchester. The superheated water instantly turned to steam and spread out over the lower Hudson Valley in a cloud containing tritium, a cancer-causing radioactive isotope. Read more: www.nydailynews.com...

www.beyondnuclear.org...

www.beyondnuclear.org...

Radioactivity leaks from U.S. waste storage pools A new Beyond Nuclear fact sheet documents leaks of radioactivity from five U.S. nuclear facilities' radioactive waste storage and handling pools. Nuclear power plants suffering such leaks have thus far included Indian Point, NY; CT Yankee; and Salem, NJ. In addition, a research reactor irradiated nuclear fuel storage pool has leaked at Brookhaven National Lab on Long Island, NY, as has the irradiated nuclear fuel handling pool at BWXT (Babcock and Wilcox Technologies, Inc.) in Lynchburg, VA. Highlights ("lowlights") include: multiple storage pools leaking such radioactive poisons as Strontium-90 at Indian Point, which has been detected in fish in the Hudson River; a leak that had been underway for an undetermined length of time from CT Yankee's storage pool; a leak of 100 gallons per day of radioactive water from the Salem Unit 1 storage pool that had been ongoing for at least five years; but Brookhaven's tritium leak outdid even this, having been underway, undetected, for a dozen years, into the aquifer that serves as the sole source of drinking water for over a million Long Island residents; and BWXT's leak of 250 gallons per day took place just 500 yards from the James River. The risks of such leaks grow worse as the pools' concrete walls and steel liners degrade, crack and corrode with age. Obviously, industry monitoring systems and regulatory agency enforcement measures are dismally failing to protect public health and the environment. August 20, 2010 | Print Article | Share Article | Email Article

the fact sheet ' Leak First, Fix Later' - Executive Summary:

www.beyondnuclear.org...

The highly-publicized leaks of radioactive hydrogen – or tritium – from buried pipes at the Braidwood, Oyster Creek and Vermont Yankee nuclear power plants have drawn attention to a more widespread and longstanding problem analyzed by a new report from Beyond Nuclear. Leak First, Fix Later: Uncontrolled and Unmonitored Radioactive Releases from Nuclear Power Plants finds leaking U.S. reactors are now ubiquitous. There is evidence of 15 radioactive leaks from March 2009 through April 16, 2010 from buried pipe systems at 13 different reactor sites. At least 102 reactor units are now documented to have had recurring radioactive leaks into groundwater from 1963 through February 2009.

The report finds that the federal regulator – the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) – has replaced its own oversight responsibilities in favor of industry self-regulation. Instead of mandating compliance with established license requirements for the control and monitoring of buried pipe systems carrying radioactive effluent, the NRC cedes responsibility to industry voluntary initiatives that will add years onto the resolution of a decades-old environmental and public health issue. Of further concern, the agency and the industry continue to downplay and trivialize the health risks of prolonged exposure to tritium which is shown to cause cancer, genetic mutations and birth defects. The delinquency of the NRC is made more alarming by

edit on 3/17/2011 by bladdersweat because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/17/2011 by bladdersweat because: you know i wrote something then started to believe less and less of what i wrote...hence you don't have to believe everything you think...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
if you are interested in reading up on all the effects and complications from ionized radiation exposure, read up here at the Open Source Radiation Safety Training Module presented by Princeton university

web.princeton.edu...

This module provides information about the following topics: Mechanisms of Damage, Tissue Sensitivity Prompt vs. Delayed Effects Prompt Effects Table, Partial Body Exposure Delayed Effects, Process of Determining Cancer Risk, Cancer Risk Estimates, Risk Perspectives, Genetic Effects, & Prenatal Radiation Exposure

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

You forgot this:

Health and nuclear experts emphasize that radiation in the plume will be diluted as it travels and, at worst, would have extremely minor health consequences in the United States, even if hints of it are ultimately detectable.

and also it's a projection, and also no levels of radiation out of the norm have been detected on the west coast and there are threads with links to sites you can monitor for yourself.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

i'm interested in those radiological monitor feeds, do you have any links?

like everyone, i have been doing an amount of webvestigation on this radiation topic and found this site selling 'Self-Cooling Armor That Provides Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear Protection'

www.radshield.com...

The Demron™ coverall is constructed with an integrated hood, heat sealed seams, and seam seal tape for added protection.

Tailored for evacuation in a dispersed low energy environment. The Demron™ Radiation Protection Suit is a full body suit complete with an integrated hood, heat-sealed seams, and seam seal tape for added protection. The suit was engineered to provide protection during the evacuation of a dirty bomb. Due to advanced molecular design, the Demron™ coverall allows for better heat dissipation than other impermeable protective fabrics, providing the user with a cooler core environment. The suit is an excellent shield of high-energy beta particles, such as those emitted from Strontium-90, and provides at least 50% shielding of gamma rays up to 130 Kev.

$1699.00
edit on 3/17/2011 by bladdersweat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by bladdersweat

This one has been going up and down
Radiation Network

Here's another, note it uses different measurements than the other map
Another

Those are the two I'm flipping back and forth between

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by eyeseer

I made no mention of it making its way to Canada. I will say this 2.1 pounds of plutonium on a satellite called snap nine disintegrated in our atmosphere and the radiation is still detectable anywhere on the planet today. And has been linked to an increase globally of lung cancer. here is some info on it.
www.lightparty.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by eyeseer

And no i did not get this from a simulation. Its just inevitable we will be breathing this stuff in. harmful or non harmful levels I don't know I'm not the amazing creskin.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

Not sure if this is related... I am new to this site. I reside in Denver, about 10 mins west of Denver International Airport. This morning, about 30 or so regular police officers were headed east on a road called Pena Blvd. It's the only way into the airport. There was nothing on the news about it. I was taking my son to school and we saw it. They had lights on, but no sirens. Looked as if they were headed to DIA.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I have family that lives in Nevada just a few hours from the old test sites. When I asked them if they were the slightest bit concerned about radiation from Japan I was laughed at, was told and I quote "We live with radiation daily, we are in nevada for christsake".

It is true we have plenty of it in small amounts already, especially in Nevada. The long terms affects can be very damaging as we have seen over years but cancer can come from so many other sources it is really tough to pinpoint all the causes.

I do not anticipate US or Canda will see huge amounts of it from fallout or enough to cause immeditate radiation poisonings and death but many will in Japan. If the worst case scenario does come to pass, no doubt the reprecussions will be huge globally in more ways than just people's health.
edit on 17-3-2011 by of the Ether because: typos galore!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by lcbjr1979
So let me get this straight. The radiation from these nuclear plants are supposed to make it all the way across the ocean, yet when we dropped two atomic bombs on them (which i am guessing had more radiation in them than what has leaked from the plants) wouldnt the radiation from them have followed the same jet stream and made it over here and make some headlines about mass deaths.

Would they, in 1945, even know to monitor the west coast for fallout from the bombs? And if they did, would they actually have admitted to a bit of backfire effect from the bombings?

I think not.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
well this is a lie. I work in a facility that can monitor radiation levels for most of midwest. There isn't one indication that there is radiation here. BUT, I can say that the facility did go on lockdown and is monitoring the situation. But nothing unusual, they would do this to any threat of a radioactive leak anywhere in the world.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by bladdersweat

This one has been going up and down
Radiation Network

Here's another, note it uses different measurements than the other map
Another

Those are the two I'm flipping back and forth between

my facility is not even on your map. Nor the 144 sensors that my facility gets data from.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by lcbjr1979
So let me get this straight. The radiation from these nuclear plants are supposed to make it all the way across the ocean, yet when we dropped two atomic bombs on them (which i am guessing had more radiation in them than what has leaked from the plants) wouldnt the radiation from them have followed the same jet stream and made it over here and make some headlines about mass deaths.

this

second line

third line

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by THEDUDE86

So is there a link to it or what?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by aboutface

First radiation alert for US Midwest, Ontario, Quebec. More to come on Thurs and Fri for West coast.

www.youtube.com

Radiation cloud tracked already over the US. with main cloud to come. Officials are protecting us how?
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nytimes.com
:

You obviously didn't even read the linked article...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by THEDUDE86

Not disputing your claim………I talked to the guys who own the Radiation Network Site yesterday. Most of their data comes from private citizens using hand held’s………..That is what their network is all about……
edit on 17-3-2011 by Cloudsinthesky because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I already posted the bbc alert here's the screen shot.

img151.imageshack.us... someone embed please?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Go to the sixth post down posted by organelle.

I have registered and I'm seeing some high readings in Las Vegas (155 cpm). Anything above 130 cpm is unusual and high.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
OMG, it was nice knowing you guys. Drink some beer for me this St Patricks day.
I guess this is it. The end of the world.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by theghosthunter
I already posted the bbc alert here's the screen shot.

img151.imageshack.us... someone embed please?

Done!

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join