It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First radiation alert for US Midwest, Ontario, Quebec. More to come on Thurs and Fri for West coast.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
just to clarify my stance:

I am NOT saying there is no danger from a radiation plume.
All I'm saying is that this image looks fake to me.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

The Bakersfield cloud moved generally towards Denver and then over to the Great Lakes. Lots of weather systems follow that path. Since the radiation monitoring sites only cover the US, no one knows if any reached BC, as far as I know. I just wanted to send a heads up though that some has apparently been spotted.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
if there are any venture capitalist out there
reading this, let me make you rich.

If you can create a portable cell phone sized
geiger counter that attaches to your belt
with a clip holder that is programmable
and when the device reads a certain level
of radiation (say 500 uR or higher) then it
sets off an alarm or rings like a cell phone
and manufacture it to the public, you just
might get rich with those things as they
would sell like hotcakes, just like the
Potassium Iodide pills.

Or maybe there is an iPhone App
which connects with a radiation
reporting station and pings all
cell phones in an area code with
a text message alert based on
your location.

I don't know, maybe there is already
such a device invented. But if not,
please share your riches with me
when you make ur first million, lol
I really do need to pay off some bills.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

1-You are NEVER gonna get rich giving out ideas like that.

---------------------------
And 2-folks, relax. The chances of you receiving a deadly dose of radiation from the Fukushima meltdown are not very high.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

1-You are NEVER gonna get rich giving out ideas like that.

lol
maybe that's why I am still poor
cuz I think of mankind first over money.
Even if poor, I do have my priorities straight

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Yeah, but with that attitude I'd love for you to get rich.

I will say that the idea of a smart phone app that is tied into radiation stations around the country would be a valuable precautionary piece of software.

I'd like to see something like that someday. Also that warning system the Japanese have that alerted them of the earthquake a few seconds before it hit via cell phone would be immensely useful on our more active faults.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Is this the start of a mass slaughter of humans?
HAARP...hmmmmm

Makes one wonder eh............

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   

HAHA. I wouldn`t be surprised but that someone is already working on it.

I do hope your doubts turn out to be true though.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by shauny

No it isn't.

It's a massive geological event coupled with human tragedy that could not have been foreseen.

Christ

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by lcbjr1979
So let me get this straight. The radiation from these nuclear plants are supposed to make it all the way across the ocean, yet when we dropped two atomic bombs on them (which i am guessing had more radiation in them than what has leaked from the plants) wouldnt the radiation from them have followed the same jet stream and made it over here and make some headlines about mass deaths.

While I hope most of this is hype and needless worry, I will correct you on something. We have no idea how much has leaked from the Japan reactors. Based on the reactor design schematics that the media has shown, the spent fuel rods were fully exposed/expelled with the explosions of the outer containment chambers. The half-life of the radiation released in a fision bomb is vastly different than the half life of radiation released in a meltdown or even a containment breach. This is why Hiroshima and Nagasaki were rebuilt and resettled just years after the bombings while Chernobyl (and the nearby ghost town of Prypat) sits inside a virtual dead zone where nobody is allowed without radiation suits, breathers, and personal geiger counters.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   
well after some research, it seems my ideas
have already been implemented.

Personal Radiation Detection Devices
polimaster.com...

I have no clue how much these things costs
but an iPhone App that does the same thing
would be more viable since you are already
carrying a cell phone anyway

Maybe Steve Jobs will send me a nice
royalty check for the idea

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

Yeah, but with that attitude I'd love for you to get rich.

to be quite honest, I don't think I
could live rich. After paying off my bills
and taking care of my folks, I'd probably
give the rest to charity anyway

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   

How nice! Here`s another star.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
i too, am suspicious that the 5, then 4, are too close to the edge of the orange circles

forgive my ignorance & doubts - but, even though san fran is miles away from the area with elevated readings, couldn't we expect at least a slightly higher rating there than the 11 & 10 given?

i dunno what else to think of...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by pattonisit

I don`t think anyone is sure of anything. On the one hand, you get ocean breezes whipping things through, and on the other, you get ocean breezes whipping things at you. I`m getting conflicting opinions on TV at the moment. Quebec us going to supply the tablets free to its citizens, so someone there believes we`re in danger.

The fact is that Japan is in one hell of a messy situation. I sure wish they could all evacuate.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

indeed... i think they're definitely trying to hold back a mass panic - understandably - yet being prepared for potential outcomes (as you stated, quebec is) is a very reasonable consideration at this moment in time

i'm currently reading boondock's thread about zhirinovsky's suggestion that all the japanese relocate to russia, permanently...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
I don't know, but erring on the side of caution won't do any harm on this one, where erring on the side of disbelief very well might land you with cancer.

First evidence is presented of elevated readings in the US and so many people jump on the 'looks hoaxed' and 'radiation won't make it here' bandwagons.

Fact: There is a very large amount of radioactive substance potentially in a state of exposure to the air.
Fact: Explosions have happened at the sites, and we can certainly agree that the details aren't forthcoming.
Fact: This is all happening upwind of the US, and there's NOTHING to divert the jet stream between here and there.

How can anyone be so sure that there won't be any ill effects from this? It is unprecedented in both size and geographical scales.
Why aren't more folks saying, "looks like a fake, but I'm already prepared for worst-case?"

I don't want to subsidize the cancer treatment boom in 2021. If there is a 2021.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Another thing that has crossed my mind and kept me tossing and turning all night.... the radiation thats leaking into the atmosphere isnt going to just stop over night, so HOW MANY DAYS or WEEKS is this radiation going to flow over the US? Sure its going to be low levels but days and days of low levels is still a bad thing. This might be known as the YEAR that we all stay indoors living off canned food. Until Japan can some how magically seal off all 4 reactors I think everyone is in trouble.
edit on 17-3-2011 by lostsock because: Had to fix my typos

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I was going to write a post about how many things would have to combine for any heath affecting radiation product to reach the USA.

But there have been so many bad coincidences so far, EQ, tsunami, freeezing weather I would be talking my self into a corner.

So I will do it the other way and say exactly what will have to happen for health to be affected (short and long term)

1) There will a criticality event coupled with a huge explosion and fire to cause a convection current of air to lift microscopic radioactive particles/dust into the jet stream.

2) There would have to be favorable weather across the entire pacific ocean;

There are so many other variables that I believe it would be impossible to make a prediction until after an event at the plant.

As far as the the 'map' produced on this thread I havent really looked at it but what units are the numbers in? when was it taken?

A little on radiation. The sun radiates electromagnetic radiation on and through you every day: UV, IR, Gamma radiation etc. Hell there are even neutrinos produced millions of light years away flowing through you right now. So what and the level of radiation is important.
If you traveled back in time with a Geiger counter and measured the radiation of the stone age men building Stonehenge, guess what, they would be radioactive! (that bloody radioactive Welsh stone they used, wait Wales is radioactive? Quick quarantine Wales!!!)

So if someone says there is radiation in the U.S they are right. There is, always has been and always will be.

Hell I bet some people who turn into headless chicken mode at the mention of radiation regularly go sun bathing or use sun beds without a second thought.

Go back to the historical henge builders and measure their air quality then measure yours - there are roughly 600 chemical pollutants you breathe with every breath that the henge builders didn't. I would be more worried about that.... (Source for that was an Open University technology course I attended 20 years ago)

Now heres a little miracle. Your blood is red right? Because of the iron right? Where did iron originate in the universe? (assuming you follow the current mainstream big bang, evolutionary universe model) Well at the very start there were only the simplest elements - helium, hydrogen, oxygen etc. They eventually formed into stars where powerful nuclear reactions started. Eventually some stars had super dense cores of ......yep Iron. Then those stars went nova and scattered their corpses through huge amounts of surrounding space.
So your blood is made from a material produced in the largest nuclear explosions in the known universe...

Edit: The Radiohead album named "We are all made of stars" has obvious origins now
edit on 17-3-2011 by UltraMind because: Radiohead

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
radiation is now really on the minds of every one with this current catastrophe reaching its zenith point, however it should be pointed out and remembered the extent of how much radiation has already been released over the u.s. population for over nearly 40 years with little to no awareness and very little effective dissent from the public.

nuclearweaponarchive.org...

Between 16 July 1945 and 23 September 1992 the United States of America conducted (by official count) 1054 nuclear tests, and two nuclear attacks.

The number of actual nuclear devices (aka "bombs") tested, and nuclear explosions is larger than this, but harder to establish precisely. Some devices that were tested failed to produce any noticeable explosion (some by design, some not), other "tests" (by official definition) were actually multiple device detonations. It is not clear whether all multiple device tests have yet been identified, and enumerated.

Ever since nuclear testing began it has been very difficult to get a useful accounting of human exposures to the fallout from these tests. Partly this was motivated by military secrecy, partly by a desire to allay public fears (i.e public relations reasons), and partly by a fear of possible legal action by actual of potential victims. Some exposure related incidents have been revealed due to the impossibility of hiding them: namely the high radiation exposures of the Marshallese and the Japanese aboard the Fifth Lucky Dragon after the Castle Bravo disaster. But most information on this subject has been withheld, deliberated buried in obscure reports, or never collected (this is the principle of being careful not to learn what you don't want to know). This information has slowly come to light in bits and pieces over the last 20 years.

What is probably the most important study of the health effects of testing were announced by the National Cancer Institute in August of 1997, and released in October. The study report is now available on line: National Cancer Institute Study Estimating Thyroid Doses of I-131 Received by Americans From Nevada Atmospheric Nuclear Bomb Test.

The basic finding of the report is that internal exposures to radioiodine (I-131) in fallout from continental nucelar testing was the most serious health consequence. Radioiodine concentrates in milk when consumed by cows when grazing, and then concentrates in human thyroid glands when contaminated milk is ingested. This concentration effect is especially strong in children. The NCI study estimates that the average American alive at the time received a thyroid radiation exposure of 2 rads, with some people receiving up to 300 rads. The effect of these exposures is to boost the chance of contracting thyroid cancer some time during a lifetime. This cancer is normally not very rare, and is highly treatable (as cancers go). It is possible to estimate the overall effect of the total radiation exposure of the American population. From the 380 million person-rads of total exposure roughly 120,000 extra cases of thyroid cancer can be expected to develop, resulting in some 6,000 deaths [See note]. For comparison, the worst industrial disaster in history (Bhopal, India; 3 December 1984) killed about 3000 people and injured 150,000.

No effort was made to systematically study the nationwide effects of atmospheric nuclear testing until congress ordered the study -- which was finally released 15 years later. In hearing held in September 1998, Bruce Wachholz, chief of the radiation effects branch of the National Cancer Institute, told a Senate hearing that the basic results were known as early as 1989 and a final draft report was completed in 1992 yet none of the information was made public for five more years.

link to: National Cancer Institute Study Estimating Thyroid Doses of I-131 Received by Americans From Nevada Atmospheric Nuclear Bomb Test.

www.cancer.gov...

Scientists estimate that about 25 percent of the radioactive materials released during atomic bomb testing in Nevada reached the ground somewhere in the United States. But information about where the wind carried these materials is not precise. In addition, most adults cannot remember exact details of their milk-drinking habits in childhood.

www.cancer.gov...

edit on 3/17/2011 by bladdersweat because: wrong link

this really stands out for me from the above article:

The basic finding of the report is that internal exposures to radioiodine (I-131) in fallout from continental nucelar testing was the most serious health consequence. Radioiodine concentrates in milk when consumed by cows when grazing, and then concentrates in human thyroid glands when contaminated milk is ingested. This concentration effect is especially strong in children.

so milk really does NOT do a body good!

edit on 3/17/2011 by bladdersweat because: (no reason given)

or cheese, ice cream, butter and well...all bovine milk poducts. hmm.
edit on 3/17/2011 by bladdersweat because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join