It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9/11 Threads Never Stay On Topic!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
My first rant upon finding this forum, and I do need to blow some steam. For a little background, I've been going to this site for some time and frequent the 9/11 forums. I tend to support the official side of events, though I only do that for the planes vs buildings, not personally having an opinion totally formed about the other stuff.

So, something I've noticed is that no matter how ridiculously focused a thread is on a topic, NO ONE can stay on topic!

This is how every thread progresses:
Post 1: What's up with this detail?
Post 2: 9/11 is a conspiracy!
Post 3: That detail can be explained.
Post 4: No, that detail can't be explained! Try to explain this other detail!
Post 5: Fine, I can try to explain that as well.
Post 6: Uh oh, disinfo agents are here!
Post 7: Building 7, pentagon, razzlefraz!
Post 8: RAAAAAAAWR

I mean, every now and then one person will actually respond to the OP, but EVERY SINGLE THREAD devolves into this bullcrap.

Can't anyone just stick to the topic description and not make every thread about everything that comes to their mind? And can't we stop having all these people that don't even respond to the OP, just talking about how the government is playing everyone for a fool? That's not on topic!!!!

It annoys me, that's all. I don't rant much, but when I do, it's about the crazy 9/11 forum.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Varemia

Look, I got NIST to investigate your theory and it was found to be false so unless you can come up with real evidence and not just links from ATS I will have to call you out on this lie.

And your the one who brought up seven, stop taking your own thread off-topic.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Varemia

I know this is going to come across as a standardized "cardboard cut out" reply, but it bears saying - and it is coming from a 911 forum moderator...

When you see off topic posts - ALERT THEM!

Staff will happily remove all off topic and trolling posts! We just have a heck of a time keeping up with them all. We truly do rely upon the awesome members of this community, people such as yourself OP, to let us know when things aren't on the up and up!

~Heff
ATS Member and moderator.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I always get uncertain. When I press alert, it says that I shouldn't use it for off-topic or spam posts because they are like minor infractions or something.

We encourage members to alert us to posts that might be a potential problem. However, please be aware that this feature is intended for flagrant violations of our Terms & Conditions such as trouble makers, insults, inappropriate content, and potential copyright violations. This feature is not intended to alert staff to minor issues like 1-liner or off-topic posts.

see? That makes me hesitant.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by yyyyyyyyyy
reply to post by Varemia

Look, I got NIST to investigate your theory and it was found to be false so unless you can come up with real evidence and not just links from ATS I will have to call you out on this lie.

And your the one who brought up seven, stop taking your own thread off-topic.

I'm guessing they spent a million dollars running simulations of posters just to conclude that they couldn't accurately predict what people would say?

((Trust me, I've been a part of a group that does research and comes up with a detailed presentation on something, and when you have money, you go crazy with it. I actually wouldn't say that NIST is as accurate as it could be because of this. It really depends on exactly who did what work and whether they actually did their work properly.))

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Varemia

((Trust me, I've been a part of a group that does research and comes up with a detailed presentation on something, and when you have money, you go crazy with it. I actually wouldn't say that NIST is as accurate as it could be because of this. It really depends on exactly who did what work and whether they actually did their work properly.))

I don't want to know the details but could you explain this a bit more to me. For what I get it sounds like when you throw money at a problem it does not mean improved performance or results but rather the opposite and results get worse. This feels like something I heard the other day on a RSA graphic presentation.

www.youtube.com...

The video is worth watching just for the design and drawing.

I get the point about moderation, its like when a poster says others are getting their info from damn fool conspiracy sites, I mean its a good point, in many cases its true but as a style of debating its horrible and a direct attack on ATS and the whole idea of conspiracies in general, and a conspiracy is just a lie and people have been known to lie.

But that is the thing about ATS, it's sold out to money, we all know it and ATS is comfortable letting people point this out while still allowing posts about almost anything with no editorial imposition.

Now I'm ranting

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by yyyyyyyyyy

That's a pretty neat video. But yeah, the idea is that when you're working in a group, if the group is too small, everyone is overwhelmed and everything is undercut in quality. If the group is too large, then there are problems with people not coordinating right to get information to each other. Then, when the group has a budget of millions, well then they feel compelled to spend it, so they do as much as possible to blow the money since they have basically no restrictions.

If the group was more restricted, they may have come up with more efficient ways to calculate stuff, but in the end, you really have to analyze every individual person's contribution to the report, since most of the time, they really aren't a hive mind as they are treated. The report was probably divided among people for responsibility, meaning that some parts may be better researched than others.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

see? That makes me hesitant.

That's a fair point. Another suggestion, U2U one of the 911 mods to take a look at it, vs. an alert seen by all mods.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

That's a better idea, thanks ^^. I'll do that the next time I see a thread beginning. Afraid the current ones are too far diluted to be saved.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Varemia

Thanks for the reply, I don't have to work in groups so I've not had to think about this. The video style is awesome, I wish I could draw like that, to borrow a soccer line, its square pegs in round holes in many of these type of situations.

top topics

join