It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are the odds that society will still be intact next year?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Fair enough but name one year when they happened all in the very same year!?

They all happen every year without exception. Just because it’s not outside your door or on the 6 o’clock news doesn’t mean it’s not happening.

Ocean storms by year and geographic area.

storms

Earthquakes by year back to 1970 with death tolls.

earthquake

Wars with death tolls. Remember not all wars are classified as a ‘war’. Korea was just a police action for many years. Genocide should be called a war but it’s not. Terrorism should be called a war but it’s not.

wars

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Student X

We have big problems ahead that's for sure. What are they? Pretty much everything. Check out halfpasthuman for likely Earth changes. Check out bestmetalresearch for the best info on Gold and Silver.
If you have Garden space get some plastic and be ready to cover it if you get a high rad reading (you should already have a counter)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I think this decade will be a very trying period for humanity. I foresee economic ruin, WW3, and the beginning of devastating ecosystem collapses to take place.

Collapse of civilization by:

2012: less than 2%

2013: less than 4%

2014: less than 8%

2015: less than 15%

2020: less than 30%

2040: greater than 50%

I do think that the majority are too slow to keep up with all the changes, and act accordingly. I don't give much hope that we get our act together in time to take care of all our baggage before the problems pile up, and natural/man-made systems start really breaking down. I'm not sure that I will see it happen, but think it's quite possible.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I really don't see that big of a change coming. Sure maybe a few more natural disasters, and maybe an economic collapse. But I don't think it will be the end of society. We will all find a way to survive. You know, I just spent two weeks in mexico, and I wasn't on this site all that much. I find that if I get off the internet, and don't watch the news much, everything in the world is just fine. Nothing seems amiss. People go about their daily lives, and nothing else matters outside of where they live. I am currently getting ready to start my lawn care business back up for the season here in vancouver, bc. People are waiting for me to come back to work, and everything is the exact same as every other year. I think the problem with society today, is that we dwell on other peoples problems. For example, we all feel bad about japan.... but we don't just feel bad, we dwell, and watch japan like a hawk and worry about it. But then we hear about the middle east, and then we hear about some other country in trouble and so on. It gets to the point where we get overloaded, and it feels like the sky is falling, when really it isnt. Society will continue, this year, next year, and for the next decade. Even if there is a world war 3, it won't be much different than world war 2, because we won't use nukes. Because no one can win if nukes are involved. Nukes are just scare tactics, or a dangerous bluff. So chances of society ending in the next couple of years is about 1%.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by xxshadowfaxx

Excellant post.

This place is filled with Chicken Littles, Suspious Sallys, Armchair Experts.

Don't use this site for your daily news unless you always go straight for the comics.

Enjoy your life because you only get one.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Yes things are getting worse in the world. But will the world go into global meltdown? Thats a tough question because I feel it will not.

But this society is getting spoiled. All people care about anymore is money and apps. The hard worker is becoming extinct. And the hard workers are looked at as lowlifes in most of these spoiled people in this generation.

I suppose if natural disasters were to hit places like New York and L.A. and other places where the population is on a ratio of nearly slim to none when it comes to survival skills and resolve certain areas would be in meltdown.

But us as humans as a whole are resiliant. We live on, we will find a way through the dust and smoke and water. We will continue to live on, i believe that.

Once the 2012 dates passes and nothing happens, people will become a little more at ease and understand life is just what it is, life!

Have faith, live for the day instead of fearing the '' what if ''.

But to answer the question, I give global meltdown by next year a 3/97 percent chance.

The day the oil REALLY does peak out though, then you will really know what global meltdown is.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxshadowfaxx
I really don't see that big of a change coming.

These following prophecies will be fulfilled soon after I'm killed. I've been preaching the gospel to the world as a testimony of the God who is controlling my body to write this. This first prophecy has nothing to do with the false gospels of Christianity. They've been preaching those lies for over 1600 years so don't even think about their gospels when reading this.

Matthew 24
14: And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached throughout the whole world, as a testimony to all nations; and then the end will come.

Isaiah 24:
18: He who flees at the sound of the terror shall fall into the pit; and he who climbs out of the pit shall be caught in the snare. For the windows of heaven are opened, and the foundations of the earth tremble.
19: The earth is utterly broken, the earth is rent asunder, the earth is violently shaken.
20: The earth staggers like a drunken man, it sways like a hut;
its transgression lies heavy upon it, and it falls, and will not rise again.

Zephaniah 1
18: Neither their silver nor their gold shall be able to deliver them on the day of the wrath of the LORD. In the fire of his jealous wrath, all the earth shall be consumed; for a full, yea, sudden end he will make of all the inhabitants of the earth.

2 Peter 3
10: But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away with a loud noise, and the elements will be dissolved with fire, and the earth and the works that are upon it will be burned up.

Nahum 1:
4: He rebukes the sea and makes it dry, he dries up all the rivers; Bashan and Carmel wither, the bloom of Lebanon fades.
5: The mountains quake before him, the hills melt; the earth is laid waste before him, the world and all that dwell there in.

Psalm 46:
6: The nations rage, the kingdoms totter; he utters his voice, the earth melts.

Amos 9:
5: The Lord, GOD of hosts, he who touches the earth and it melts, and all who dwell in it mourn, and all of it rises like the Nile, and sinks again, like the Nile of Egypt;

Micah 1:
3: For behold, the LORD is coming forth out of his place, and will come down and tread upon the high places of the earth.
4: And the mountains will melt under him and the valleys will be cleft, like wax before the fire, like waters poured down a steep place.

Psalm 97
3: Fire goes before him, and burns up his adversaries round about.
4: His lightnings lighten the world; the earth sees and trembles.
5: The mountains melt like wax before the LORD, before the Lord of all the earth.

Isaiah 40
3: A voice cries: "In the wilderness prepare the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God.
4: Every valley shall be lifted up, and every mountain and hill be made low; the uneven ground shall become level, and the rough places a plain.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Once the 2012 dates passes and nothing happens, people will become a little more at ease and understand life is just what it is, life!

Sorry they’ll just move the year again. Here’s a link to 220 end of the world predictions.

end of the world

Oops the next one is 2016! What ever should I do?? As to any religious aspects to any of this … They have been wrong 100% of the time. So why anyone would ever believe anything they say is beyond me.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxshadowfaxx
I really don't see that big of a change coming. Sure maybe a few more natural disasters, and maybe an economic collapse. But I don't think it will be the end of society.

Then I guess we are dealing with words that can mean different things to different people. I think that economic collapse will mean the end of society as we know it today. Then would come a liminal period of 'communitas', followed by a new society with a new economic system - if humanity survives the chaos of liminality.

In which case society would not be intact. That is not to say it would never rise again.

edit on 17-3-2011 by Student X because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
The odds are around 1,000,000,000,000 : 1

You guys are doom degenerates.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I think we will all be here more or less by 2014. Yes, we are having hard times now. My grandmother did in the 1930s. She got out of college and couldn't get a job and moved back home post poned marriage. She went to work as a maid. The rest of her life she was very thrifty and frugal. She saved her money and went to church imploring good ideals in everyone around her. Life is not a picnic. My neighbor was just standing out in her back yard singing loudly Baptist church songs. I wasn't sure to ask her if she was okay or observe her privacy. I waved on my way to the mail box instead. That was the first time I had her her sing in six years. Her son is in the army in Afganistan. She reads all the Edgar Cayce stuff and is in her late 50s. So she has her opinions on current events. She thought she would give up if things got bad in 2012. I told her "Oh no, you Never Ever Give Up." You have to continue on and improve.
The pioneers of America faced worse than what is going on currently. The moral of the story is you don't live on fault lines, or near volcanos, and maybe Nuclear Power Plants are not eco friendly ideas. Lets learn and get creative from our mistakes.... Yes! Society will be stronger and smarter next year! Be Positive....Never Ever Give Up!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by NearPerfect

I'm 100 % sure that the earth's crust is going to melt by the hot molten lava when the magma explodes soon.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by godspeaker

Originally posted by NearPerfect

I'm 100 % sure that the earth's crust is going to melt by the hot molten lava when the magma explodes soon.

So do you still fund your retirement plan?
Do you still pay your mortgage?
Do you let your kids plan for college?

If so why? If you are so certain about the end of days why bother doing anything that requires future thinking?
What makes you different than those people we see under the bridge? Or the ones we lock away when we find them babbling?

Or are you one of those who indirectly make a living through blatantly fear mongering?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by samkent
Name one year in history without earthquakes.
Name one year in history without storms.
Name one year in history without a war.
Name one year in history without an uprising.
Name one year in history without diseases.
Name one year in history when the poor got richer.
Name one year in history when the rich were not in a position of power.

This is called life on Earth. Get used to it.

It may be blunt but it’s accurate.

In the US, the entire 1780's through the like 1800's.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
20 years in one country?
Are you saying we had no hurricanes hit US territory in 20 years?

Here is a list of just US wars from 1775 to 1800.
1775–1783 – American Revolutionary War That’s a big one!
1776–1777 – Second Cherokee War
1776–1794 – Chickamauga Wars
1785–1795 – Northwest Indian War
1786–1787 – Shays' Rebellion
1794 – Whiskey Rebellion
1798–1800 A navel war with France.
The point is there’s always a war somewhere because we are human, that’s what we do.
There’s always a natural disaster somewhere.

Life on Earth is not a bed of roses.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

20 years in one country?
Are you saying we had no hurricanes hit US territory in 20 years?

Here is a list of just US wars from 1775 to 1800.
1775–1783 – American Revolutionary War That’s a big one!
1776–1777 – Second Cherokee War
1776–1794 – Chickamauga Wars
1785–1795 – Northwest Indian War
1786–1787 – Shays' Rebellion
1794 – Whiskey Rebellion
1798–1800 A navel war with France.
The point is there’s always a war somewhere because we are human, that’s what we do.
There’s always a natural disaster somewhere.

Life on Earth is not a bed of roses.

You're in blatant denial if you think the current situation of the world is not unique in comparison to the problems of the past.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

You're in blatant denial if you think the current situation of the world is not unique in comparison to the problems of the past.

Ask you grandparents about the great depression. Where you couldn’t afford to buy some of the most basic items for daily life. My mother had to drop out of 8th grade to help support her 5 younger brothers and sisters and widowed mother. There were no government checks to help tide things over.

Are things that bad now?

Ask your grandparents about the war following the depression. Where you couldn’t even buy tires for your car if you had one. If you wanted meat from the store you had better have coupons in your ration book. If father went off to war you might get a letter every couple of months never mind Skype twice a week. And if the worst happened you got a letter and maybe a hand shake. You could forget the body.

Are things that bad now?

Read your history books about the middle ages when summer never came. Years of cold rainy dark days. You lived (if you called it that) on someone else’s land. You couldn’t own land! Never mind a government appeal process to keep a house you knew you could never afford when you bought it. If you wanted a change in the leaders at the top you didn’t get a ballot in November you got the cold edge of a blade. You think the medical system is bad now you try the men wearing bird masks with beaks to treat your plague. The proper method of sewage treatment was throwing it out the window.

Are things that bad now?

Grow up people we live in some of the best times in mankind’s history. You go to bed at night knowing you will wake up warm and safe.
It’s only those keyboard warriors that feel the world is going to end in a few months. You know the ones where their brothers are in the next room playing Xbox and their parents are down the hall watching cable on their plasma tv.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
This is not the first time similar events have occurred, and they have occurred in my lifetime. I was too young to remember Chernobyl, but that happened and we survived. I remember massive earthquakes and volcanoes on the news, I remember watching the UK protests against Maggie on the TV, and not understanding what was going on it just looked like people being bundled into police vans to me.

But its all happening again. This proves we have not learned our lesson from the previous warnings. How can we progress as a species if we fail to learn from the most demanding tests we face? Yes its one hell (literally) of a mess we have got ourselves into, but we have the capacity to get ourselves out of it and prosper. But greed and ego unfortunately means some people think they are individually more deserving than all other life on this planet and do whatever it takes to survive. While those people rule us, we are doomed whatever the intention and actions of those who do care.

One day, we will either go too far or whoever is warning us will give up and hit the reset button.

edited to add: Most of, if not all great civilisations in the past have fallen at their peak, due to the corruption and violence of people. It is evident we are on the same path.
edit on 19-3-2011 by Firefly_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pastafarian
99.99% that it will be business as usual. I haven't seen anything happen this year so far that hasn't happened at some point in my life so far. Only the names and places change.

And I think if most of you really believed that society was going to crumble that you'd be out there living/partying doing whatever you want, not posting on ATS

Yeah man that's what I don't understand. There are so many people on here who are absolutely sure the world is going to end in 2012, yet they just go about their lives as usual? What sense does that make? I think it's just exciting for them to try and believe in this stuff, but deep down they think the odds are slim.

It's not like they are doing anything about it, so why not quit your job, sell everything you own and live out your last few years the way YOU want? Don't see too many people (if any) doing this, which is pretty odd considering so many believe the end is nigh.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Ask you grandparents about the great depression. Where you couldn’t afford to buy some of the most basic items for daily life. My mother had to drop out of 8th grade to help support her 5 younger brothers and sisters and widowed mother. There were no government checks to help tide things over.

Are things that bad now?

Ask your grandparents about the war following the depression. Where you couldn’t even buy tires for your car if you had one. If you wanted meat from the store you had better have coupons in your ration book. If father went off to war you might get a letter every couple of months never mind Skype twice a week. And if the worst happened you got a letter and maybe a hand shake. You could forget the body.

Are things that bad now?

Read your history books about the middle ages when summer never came. Years of cold rainy dark days. You lived (if you called it that) on someone else’s land. You couldn’t own land! Never mind a government appeal process to keep a house you knew you could never afford when you bought it. If you wanted a change in the leaders at the top you didn’t get a ballot in November you got the cold edge of a blade. You think the medical system is bad now you try the men wearing bird masks with beaks to treat your plague. The proper method of sewage treatment was throwing it out the window.

Are things that bad now?

Grow up people we live in some of the best times in mankind’s history. You go to bed at night knowing you will wake up warm and safe.
It’s only those keyboard warriors that feel the world is going to end in a few months. You know the ones where their brothers are in the next room playing Xbox and their parents are down the hall watching cable on their plasma tv.

Thank you very much for your post.

I think one of the reasons for all this doomsday stuff is because most people today, even those who have it "bad" by today's standards, are still living a MUCH better life than those alive in the periods you mentioned. People are so damn spoiled today they think the world is in shambles.

I'm sure people in the depression or the dark ages would GLADLY do anything they could to switch places with your average person alive today.

But people will gloss over your post and ignore it. Because they have no idea what it meant to live in the dark ages, or during the depression. THOSE times I would absolutely understand doomsayers. Today? I think is a matter of being spoiled rotten, information overload, and overactive imaginations.

What is unique about our time in history is that instead of pretty much only knowing what's going on outside our front door, we have the Internet, means of detecting an exponentially larger number of disasters, other forms of global communication, and the largest population density and largest area of the globe covered in people. So when something bad happens, not only do we hear about it almost instantly, but it also effects more people.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join