It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

The Sun just went into overdrive! 17-3-11

page: 6
46
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chance321
reply to post by PureET
 



Wow! Not to be a doomer or such, but just how long can we keep dodgeing the bullet? The Sun's been kicking off some pretty big blasts it seems lately.

It only seems like that is the case since we have been in a grand solar minimum and are now finally entering solar maximum again. Even if this seems like strong activity this is still the weakest maximum in nearly a century.




posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage
 


Thank you very much for this explanation!



posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by PureET
 

We do not "dodge" a solar flare.

A flare is electromagnetic radiation which is omnidirectional. A CME is material and particles ejected by the Sun. It is directional. A CME can miss us, a flare anywhere on our side of the Sun will "hit" us.

Flares and CMEs are usually but not always associated with each other. A strong flare does not necessarily indicate a strong CME.

Flares are classified by the level of x-ray flux. CMEs are not classified (other than things like, "that's a bigun")



posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
What do you think about this?

www.abovetopsecret.com...



posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by PureET
 

We do not "dodge" a solar flare.



Figure of speech.

Going to make this a scientific discussion, are we?


Ok, I'll go specific.

We dodged the solar energy ejected by the large full halo CME that came with a X-class solar flare.


Happy now Phage?
edit on 17-3-2011 by PureET because: Phage needs specifics..

edit on 17-3-2011 by PureET because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by PureET
 

Yes, I think using the proper terminology is important. It helps avoid confusion. Excuse me for trying to clarify things.

Do you mean the X2.2 that happened in February? Actually the CME hit us straight on. It was just not very strong.
www.abovetopsecret.com...



posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by PureET
 

Do you mean the X2.2 that happened in February? Actually the CME hit us straight on. It was just not very strong.
www.abovetopsecret.com...


I don't think it was spot on, since we had fairly more violent readings on ACE with slower and less stronger events.

And by the way, you are correcting me in using dodging terminology while that thread title of yours is named "Dodged a solar bullet.,"

I only used the term to describe what's going on, as were you.



posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by PureET
 

Nah.
I used that in the title to catch attention, a time honored tradition here.
The text makes it clear that nothing was "dodged". As you said, it was a full halo CME meaning it was directly "aimed" at Earth. It was a wimpy CME.

edit on 3/17/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by PureET
 

Yes, I think using the proper terminology is important. It helps avoid confusion. Excuse me for trying to clarify things.



Originally posted by Phage
Nah.
I used that in the title to catch attention, a time honored tradition here.


You are contradicting yourself here... I guess were even.
edit on 17-3-2011 by PureET because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by PureET
 

If you say so.

By terminology I was referring to the difference between CMEs and solar flares. The title of my thread simply used a colorful colloquialism to garner interest. "Something Almost Happened But Didn't" probably would not have done so.

Sort of like the title to this tread. "Interesting LDE Profile" may have been more accurate but would anyone have looked?
edit on 3/17/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by PureET
 

If you say so.

By terminology I was referring to the difference between CMEs and solar flares. The title of my thread simply used a colorful colloquialism to garner interest. "Something Almost Happened But Didn't" probably would not have done so.

Sort of like the title to this tread.
edit on 3/17/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)



As stated before, people who don't have a degree in this stuff want to know what we are talking about, and so we try to break it down for them. It isn't always scientifically correct.

As you are not always scientifically correct in your thread titles.

We can go on and on, about this, but you can also stop being a science nazi.

edit on 17-3-2011 by PureET because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf
 


Ah, yes I have heard of the hitchikers guide, and even saw bits of it as a kid on telly, but never really paid much attention past that point, perhaps I may enjoy it more now

Thanks for the heads up Badwolf, which by the way I love doctor who (now your going to say thats not where your name is from aren't you ? lol)

Just to make this tie in with the thread, badwolf was from the 1st series of new doctor who, where the doctor *find themselves on a spacestation, which interestingly enough spends a lot of its time beaming game shows to earth, but have to factor in solar flares, which every time they occur cut the transmission to earth, and in turn, allow the doctor to find the location of the Dalek fleet (I'm not a whoie ... much lol)

* with Rose (sorry my puter went funny, and wouldn't let me make the correction)



posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by PureET
 
If is is so, I suggest that you place your head firmly between your knees and ...



posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Hmmm,.
to look at the sun now would tell me just the opposite,.
The sun is rather calm



posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by yrwehere1
reply to post by PureET
 
If is is so, I suggest that you place your head firmly between your knees and ...



If it is what? A CME?

No biggie, guy.



posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I will attempt to attach a picture of a diagram that explains the OP's original link:




I don't think I've ever seen this type of activity before. If the mass ejection is not headed towards Earth, then it won't be anything to worry about. But if this energy is directed at us, it would be like wrapping earth in tin foil and evaporating our ozone poking a hole through our magnetosphere to check and see if we're done.
edit on 17-3-2011 by mozeyonover because: added note



posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by mozeyonover
 

A C class flare is minor. There is nothing dangerous about it to anyone.

Look at this plot. This is something to think about. On January 15 (2005) C-M class flaring continued for 24 hours before climbing to X2 levels then continuing at "high" levels for 20 hours. Then up again


I found an example which more closely matches the onset/decay profile. This one got to M-class levels.

They are interesting but there is nothing particularly dangerous about them. They are referred to as slow LDEs. The one above is discussed here:
www.astro.uni.wroc.pl...


edit on 3/17/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
PureET, nice thread. I can see why you were concerned and I for one appreciate the information.

But don`t be upset that Phage came along and told it like it is.
You should be happy unless you actually are disappointed that this event won`t contribute to the destruction of planet Earth.

Phage is very well versed in most things scientific and adds both a logical and rational degree of reasoning on every thread he contributes to. I`ve been on this site for a long time. I don`t post all that often and haven`t half the brain that you do PureET when it comes to this stuff, but when Phage puts a concern to rest, it`s usually because he is on the money. I can see where your concern was and I can also understand Phage is right on this. I`m not saying Phage is always right either, because no one is perfect, but he is right on this one, it makes sense.

No need to argue petty terminology issues, that was not fun to read.
I`m more impressed with your interpretation of the graphs, I`d have no clue.

Don`t let it deter you from posting information you think needs to be posted. Just don`t be upset if someone a little more knowledgeable comes along and puts your concerns to rest.
Peace.



posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf
 

Then we're losing. Because telephone sanitizers are a dying breed.



posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by csulli456
PureET, nice thread. I can see why you were concerned and I for one appreciate the information.

But don`t be upset that Phage came along and told it like it is.
You should be happy unless you actually are disappointed that this event won`t contribute to the destruction of planet Earth.

Phage is very well versed in most things scientific and adds both a logical and rational degree of reasoning on every thread he contributes to. I`ve been on this site for a long time. I don`t post all that often and haven`t half the brain that you do PureET when it comes to this stuff, but when Phage puts a concern to rest, it`s usually because he is on the money. I can see where your concern was and I can also understand Phage is right on this. I`m not saying Phage is always right either, because no one is perfect, but he is right on this one, it makes sense.

No need to argue petty terminology issues, that was not fun to read.
I`m more impressed with your interpretation of the graphs, I`d have no clue.

Don`t let it deter you from posting information you think needs to be posted. Just don`t be upset if someone a little more knowledgeable comes along and puts your concerns to rest.
Peace.



Hello csulli456,

Thanks for your reply,

Don't get me wrong, I really like Phage, his threads, and his brain!

Only when people are in the dark as to what all this might mean, I try to break down the science part for them.
That doesn't mean I don't have real knowledge of the matter.

If we would be having a scientific discussion, I applaud Phage to come in and correct the bunch.

That is simply not the case here. As I stated before :-)


Phage knows what he is talking about, no doubt about it. That's why I always enjoy reading his threads.

I just don't need him correcting my figure of speech ;-)
edit on 18-3-2011 by PureET because: (no reason given)




top topics



 
46
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

log in

join