It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sun just went into overdrive! 17-3-11

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
And it's still going!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

I believe it is indeed a LDE event,

But one I have not seen before,

We are going to have to wait until someone explains us why it is taking so long to finish.... And why it's stabilizing..

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by PureET

Yep , look at the previous records -

lasp.colorado.edu...

We have a sudden increase on the graph, however the decrease curve is not symmetrical, it always takes some time to level down..i suspect the same pattern happens with this last event too.. so give it another 2 hours I would say , maybe 3 hours.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Romanian

This is how the Sun looks right now:
stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov...

UT = London time (Universal Time)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by PureET
reply to post by westcoast

I believe it is indeed a LDE event,

But one I have not seen before,

We are going to have to wait until someone explains us why it is taking so long to finish.... And why it's stabilizing..

soi.stanford.edu...

Solar flares are considered as release of magnetic energy which has been stored in the corona. They have been classified into two types, using soft X-ray duration and other characteristics. One type is ``impulsive flares'', whose characteristics are a short duration, simple compact loop structure in soft X-rays, and an impulsive time variation in hard X-rays. The other is ``long duration events (LDEs)'', which show large-size or complex structure in soft X-rays and a gradual time variation in hard X-rays. LDEs have relatively stronger thermal characteristics than impulsive flares.
soi.stanford.edu...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Here is something interesting

STEP ONE: go to sohodata.nascom.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/soho_movie_theater
STEP TWO: SELECT LASCO C3
STEP THREE: Insert start and end dates 2011-03-01 and 2011-03-16

There was another video i watched on you tube about that object going by.
Is it saturn???
Anyways thats not the point of this thread. BUT CHECK OUT HOW ACTIVE THE SUN IS JUST THIS MONTH!!!!
----> EARTH.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Hey pureET what is your job exactly. I know you work with the sun but what do you look at in your work.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I don't think its anything problematic, as it is (they are) level C flares.

If this were X flares, then I would start packing my things in the magnetron

But I"m starting to understand, why the sun is/was god to so many pueblos.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by lukeUK

Borg cube approaching the Sun?

2nd line

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
On june 11 1991 we had a LDE it was a much higher power flare but didn't last as long.
here is a link

4 days later Mount Pinatubo erupted. It started building up on the 12th of june. Not saying they are related but that eruption was the second largest of the 20th century.
heres a link

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
It happens:

We are in the "path" of the flare. That's why it was detected by the satellite. Actually, flares are pretty much omnidirectional. When one occurs on the hemisphere of the Sun which faces us, it "hits" us.

A C class flare is really nothing to get excited about but flares really have no effect on Earth's surface other than disrupting radio communications. The high energy spectrum is absorbed by the atmosphere. That's why the x-ray detector is in space.

edit on 3/16/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
The sun seems to be going thru changes, just as the earth is going thru changes. History has a way of repeating its self. I remember reading about the villages found where people were still doing their day to day stuff..... then poof!! Instantly charred at the place they stood. Preserved after all this time.. and still we have no idea how.

I believe that what we are witnessing is also a part of the whole galactic change. Just like the reports say, the sun doesn't burn everyone, just parts. The earth doesn't open up and swallow everyone, no just parts. It like natures way of population control. The more we panic and confuse ourselves, the worse it gets. Makes you think though. What supply's do I need? Where will I go? etc.....

Take this time we have now to be thankful for what we are and what we are able to give before its our time. That is before the market comes crashing down and the governments are over-thrown. Not to mention being burnt to a crisp, only to survive but to have the world just end in December 2012. There is a lot of cosmic energy right now! We are all going to experience some wonderful things. Go in Love and Light.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Are we really gonna see a flare surge in 2012? So many scientists are saying that the max peak should be observed in 2013 or so.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks for that simple explanation - good to know it's 100% normal!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

This one appears to last longer, agree?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Romanian

You're right. I didn't select the best examples, just the first ones I came across.

Long duration events are not common but they do occur. Here's a better example.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/464eaf03a2a8.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by studio500

You know, usually it situations like this someone pops up and says, "Don't be stupid, it's NORMAL!" I wish that same person would drop by and post now.

They already did. Here.

Also Here.

And here.

But just in case you need it one more time: don't worry, it's NORMAL!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Well the timing is notable, to say the least. This hasn't happened for quite a wile.

Now, it is time to enjoy the true sheer beauty of this simple graph we've all been staring and gazing at:

Ladies and gentlemen, the tongue of the dragon shows its fiery tip....

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Honestly, seeing as nothings happened thats related to solar energy bursts, I'd say it was a technical problem.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
It happens:

We are in the "path" of the flare. That's why it was detected by the satellite. Actually, flares are pretty much omnidirectional. When one occurs on the hemisphere of the Sun which faces us, it "hits" us.

A C class flare is really nothing to get excited about but flares really have no effect on Earth's surface other than disrupting radio communications. The high energy spectrum is absorbed by the atmosphere. That's why the x-ray detector is in space.

I am a total idiot relating to subjects like this but needed to ask if the following is somehow related or a problem during an LDE.
***During the past six weeks, a large portion of the region’s stratosphere has lost at least half of the layer that normally filters out much of the sun’s harmful ultraviolet rays.***
www.sciencenews.org...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join