It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Online Ionizing Radiation Detectors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
For those that are concerned.

www.blackcatsystems.com...

This site generally run by individuals, not the gov.
edit on 16-3-2011 by OLD HIPPY DUDE because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by OLD HIPPY DUDE

A few hours ago, I saw a real high number in the California region, but it was removed minutes later and it showed normal readings. When I saw it, it was at 235! The site tells you not to panic when you see a sudden spike, they could be testing something....

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I wish we could get a site showing worldwide radiation levels. I just want to see a comprehensive schematic so we can really get a good comparison. I hope someone will take the reins on this one.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Here is a screen cap of the blackcat reading from Socal detector. as of 7:15pm est. While there may be a test going on, note that none, i repeat NONE of the other detectors have HUGE spikes this this one. We will have to see if Denver has a similar reading soon as it looks like it is heading there next.

here is the actual image

check it out

edit on 16-3-2011 by Moondust because: image wasn't appearing as "image"

edit on 16-3-2011 by Moondust because: wasn't working

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Here is another site that was recently posted on another thread:

www.radiationnetwork.com...

For some reason, it shows slightly higher readings. I'm not sure if it's due to more sensitive equipment.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Nevermind amateur rad reporting, go directly to the science:

www.epa.gov...

Requires a modicum of technical skill, and registration, but this is the data you want to pay attention to.

Free all prisoners
www.organelle.org...
edit on 17-3-2011 by organelle because: added sig data

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by organelle

That's great!!!! Thanks a lot!

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Latest info from Tucson AZ Re: EPA Web Site. The Measurement time is a bit hinky....

Fixed Monitor Location: AZ: TUCSON
Measurement Start Date/Time: 03/18/2011 02:57:40 PM
Measurement End Date/Time: 03/18/2011 03:57:48 PM
Beta Gross Count Rate (CPM): 19
Gamma Energy Range 2 Gross(CPM): 3363
Gamma Energy Range 3 Gross(CPM): 1818
Gamma Energy Range 4 Gross(CPM): 476
Gamma Energy Range 5 Gross(CPM): 240
Gamma Energy Range 6 Gross(CPM): 152
Gamma Energy Range 7 Gross(CPM): 184
Gamma Energy Range 8 Gross(CPM): 94
Gamma Energy Range 9 Gross(CPM): 37
Gamma Energy Range 10 Gross(CPM): 44
edit on 18-3-2011 by meisterschaft because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by meisterschaft

Latest info from Tucson AZ Re: EPA Web Site. The Measurement time is a bit hinky....

Fixed Monitor Location: AZ: TUCSON
Measurement Start Date/Time: 03/18/2011 02:57:40 PM
Measurement End Date/Time: 03/18/2011 03:57:48 PM
Beta Gross Count Rate (CPM): 19
Gamma Energy Range 2 Gross(CPM): 3363
Gamma Energy Range 3 Gross(CPM): 1818
Gamma Energy Range 4 Gross(CPM): 476
Gamma Energy Range 5 Gross(CPM): 240
Gamma Energy Range 6 Gross(CPM): 152
Gamma Energy Range 7 Gross(CPM): 184
Gamma Energy Range 8 Gross(CPM): 94
Gamma Energy Range 9 Gross(CPM): 37
Gamma Energy Range 10 Gross(CPM): 44

edit on 18-3-2011 by meisterschaft because: (no reason given)

Beta and Gamma are two different types of radiation with different levels of penetration and different effects. So, Beta radiation was constant and Gamma fluctuated? Good thing since Gamma is "wave" thus travels straight line, but Beta (and Alpha) are particulates and propagate with the wind.
edit on 3/18/2011 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
There happens to be a fairly large supply of outdated units recently dumped on the war-surplus market by the US Government. (Maybe they have upgraded their own supply.) I have seen untested AS Is units advertised for as little as $50 including tax & shipping; tested units can be had for $60 including tax & shipping. Last night, I ordered 3 untested units, and the total with tax & shipping (UPS ground from PA to WA) is just $96.50. After I test them, assuming they all work, I expect to resell two and maybe end up get my initial investment back in full. I'll let you know if and when I get them (hopefully in a week).

Regardless of the outcome, the present crisis is sure to generate a spike in sales of radiation detectors. Supply and demand will send the prices sky high until the supply catches up. Then, just like GPS units, you can expect the market to be flooded with modern more sophisticated models, and prices will eventually go down. Some of the new models will be small enough to carry in a pocket. There's even one included in a wristwatch. (Hopefully, it doesn't have a radium dial; tisk.)

edit on 2011/3/18 by Phractal Phil because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I saw the 235 in Ca too. Took a picture. A few minutes later that site in Ca was offline. When it came back on a little bit later it was reading 9. I thought it might be a fluke too, but now I don't know.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by TETRA.X

A few hours ago, I saw a real high number in the California region, but it was removed minutes later and it showed normal readings. When I saw it, it was at 235! The site tells you not to panic when you see a sudden spike, they could be testing something....

Maybe somebody walked thru the room carrying a radioactive rock or an old clock with a radium dial. These are just private citizens with detectors plugged into their computers; there is no professional quality control. If there were a radioactive cloud moving across the city, it would eventually reach another detector. But for now, the detectors are so few and far between that such spikes should only be taken seriously by the guy in charge of the site. If you get a spike on your own detector, you should try to find the source; odds are it's local.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Phractal Phil

True, I've been seeing a lot of inconsistent numbers, so not letting myself take it too seriously. I can imagine that if a cloud of it was moving through, we'd be seeing alarming numbers across the board. Plus I don't know what types of rad detectors are being used on the CDX, so I'm just going to hope all those high numbers are due to background rad and other elements. Thanks!

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Another thread on this board is about radiation spikes in Driggs, ID. Here's my response.

new topics

top topics

join