It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan Quake Map - Incredible animation!

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Paul Nicholls, the developer of the Christchurch Quake Map, has created an animated visualisation of all the Japanese earthquakes since March 11th.

The Google Map shows the magnitude and depth of each recorded quake. The size of the displayed polygons reflects the magnitude of each individual earthquake and its color reflects the depth.

You can pause and resume the animation. A drop down menu also allows you to select to view the data for a specific day, as well as the magnitude level.

Update almost on real time.

Japan Quake Map

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

Wow.....

Just.... wow....

Thank you for posting this. Just shows how active it has been. I found it strangely mezmerising.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Thanks for that link! I had no idea they were getting pummeled that often.
S+F

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
That is very cool yet so sad to know people are suffering and dying from all that. It is almost like it is being bomb from below. Makes you wonder...Nice find though

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
That is an incredible illustration of the way things are happening...

I wonder if he can do something similar for the entire earth? That would allow people to really see patterns that might not be as obvious to people who look at this stuff every day.

I love nothing more than seeing a visual representation like this based on hard data gathered from the area.

S&F!!!! I would give you a lot more if I could...

~Namaste

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonOfTheLawOfOne
That is an incredible illustration of the way things are happening...

I wonder if he can do something similar for the entire earth? That would allow people to really see patterns that might not be as obvious to people who look at this stuff every day.

I love nothing more than seeing a visual representation like this based on hard data gathered from the area.

S&F!!!! I would give you a lot more if I could...

~Namaste

Thanks!

Well, seems like the creator of this map made it at first for the Chrischurch earthquake...

Very impressive!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

That is absolutely insane. It's amazing how something like this can help one gain an even better understanding and a more clear perspective of the events that have unfolded in Japan.

I'm not an expert and I know Japan has quakes on a fairly regular basis but man ... all those 6+ mag quakes! Is that normal??

I wonder if the plant explosions register on that map amidst all those aftershocks (if aftershocks is the right word).

Thanks for the link OP

Respect,

AS

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I've got a totally different appreciation of the way tectonics works now, thx OP

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
it reminded me of fireworks.....

really surreal

yeah, a worldwide animation like that would be very helpful!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Dry Ice to help cool Japanese Nuclear Meltdown- Almost Freeze the Seawater as it is applied!

First time poster with eyes on the disaster unfolding in Japan. Devastation there has surpassed unimaginable and is headed to inconceivable in a hurry. In the day in age of distracting viral videos and hollywood, I pray this post finds its way through that atrocious maze to help all those in harms way. By no means is this a solution to the problem, but I believe it can be an immediate application to attempt cooling in the meltdown to doomsday. We need to at least attempt to lower the temperature of the seawater flooding the containment vessels. This should be easily deduced to the point of how much of a dry ice core is needed at the center of the flooding pipes/hoses to almost freeze the water applied. Also could be added to helicopter dumps. Sure this may only change the water by 30 degrees or so, but right now I feel every idea is needed. Godspeed to all those in harms way. We need ideas now people. Time to focus. What about divide and conquer? Can we find a way to siphon off small amounts of the nuclear pool enabling temperature to be managed more effectively. There is a solution people.... find it!

Dry Ice Facts from Wiki

Plumbers use equipment that forces pressurised liquid CO2 into a jacket around a pipe; the dry ice formed causes the water to freeze, forming an ice plug, allowing them to perform repairs without turning off the water mains. This technique can be used on pipes up to 4 in (100 mm) in diameter.[22]

Dry ice is also useful for the de-gassing of flammable vapours from storage tanks — the sublimation of dry ice pellets inside an emptied and vented tank causes an outrush of CO2 that carries with it the flammable vapours.[28]

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Whaat, you can even see when the 9M hits, it covers the entire screen, who knows what a 10M would do! wow there

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
36 earthquakes in the last 24 hour from 4.2 to 6.1!

Almost all of them took place around 25Kms depth, including the 6.1 ones....

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

check out earthquake 3d look at 7 day event around the globe .gives you a bit of perspective.carpenter44

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
That was crazy...

I did not realize how active an area that was. That visual really helps.

Someone should post this animation in that thread about the whales and dolphins causing the quake. They were busy buggers!!

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Okay, just a word to put some informations on the last earthquakes that hit Japan today.

Breaking news said that they were three, but in fact they were four, at a magnitude bigger than 6.5:

6.6M, depth: 16km 22/3/2011 18:44
6.4M, depth: 27km 22/3/2011 18:19
6.6M, depth: 10km 22/3/2011 16:18
6.6M, depth: 27km 22/3/2011 16:18

new topics

top topics

join