It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid Fragments on fast collision course

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Over a million large asteroids each several kilometers wide are orbiting the sun in a belt between Mars and Jupiter.There are sometimes violent collisions that send the fragments off course. Until now it has been thought it would take several million years to reach earth. However new measurements from Noble Gas Laboratories of ETH Zurich show they could reach us much sooner.

www.spacedaily.com...

Sorry about another asteroid story but this sounded interesting. What made me curious about the article is no time frame is shown, it does not say how long they have been in the belt, or when they think they will start reaching Earth.Could some of them be reaching us now? Does anyone have more information on this?

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I have no doubt that an asteroid will ultimately impact earth. 65 million years ago, an asteroid hit the earth in the area now known as Mexico City and killed all the dinosaurs. The nearest known prediction is for the year 2010. A comet is anticipated in 2012. A potential near earth object will either pass or impact earth in 2006. If this happens in 2010 - 2012, a pole shift is posible.

Check this out: onealclan0.tripod.com...

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 08:36 AM
link   
The frequency that the earth is hit is calculated from previous impacts, not known sources. THerefore the chances for a bit hit haven't changed, we just know of a new source that has always been there.

This just explains why we get hit.

With all the recent worry about asteroids its important to remmeber we have always lived under the same risk levels, its just we are more aware now. Baring something major like the solar system dramaticly changing or encounters some sort of asteroid swarm, the chances are the same.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by After 2012
I have no doubt that an asteroid will ultimately impact earth. 65 million years ago, an asteroid hit the earth in the area now known as Mexico City and killed all the dinosaurs. The nearest known prediction is for the year 2010. A comet is anticipated in 2012. A potential near earth object will either pass or impact earth in 2006. If this happens in 2010 - 2012, a pole shift is posible.

Check this out: onealclan0.tripod.com...

Do you mean a magnetic Pole shift? Asteroid impacts and pole shifts have no correlation. We are starting a pole shift right now, that has nothing to do with asteroids. Also I'd love to see the data on any asteroid due in 2006, 2010, or 2012.

Or is your ONLY source the bible code stuff?

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 08:41 AM
link   
YAY, I cant wait to be hit, YAY..... You can only walk a dog so many times before he poops in someones yard.

[edit on 21-7-2004 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Don't believe anything in the 'bible code'. Translate any reasonably long book into Hebrew and apply the same 'code-breaking technology' and you'll get similar results.

E_T

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Those asteroids, comets and meteoroids have always been there.
And there will be collisions in future, we just can't know when... next object capable of terminating 80-90% of species might come after hundred, thousand, million, ten million years but it will come eventually.

Here's nice catalog of known impacts... made by one the founders of latest found meteorite crater in Finland.
www.somerikko.net...

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Okay... what we have here is a failure in interpretation.

What the article says is that fragments from asteroids colliding with one another can hit Earth. That's correct.

BUT... what's being filtered through the overlay of the thousands of "OMG!!! ASTEROID IS COMING TO HIT THE EARTH" filter/postings that we see here so often is that "a huge chunk of something will whack the Earth."

Not so, Pilgrim.

Asteroids range from dust-particle size to ones that are a few miles across. The average sized one is about 300 meters across. www.hotliquidmagma.com...

When two asteroids run into each other, they shatter into much smaller pieces (fist-sized or less.)

Yes, fragments from a collision can reach Earth faster than previously expected. But these are fragments. Little bitty guys. They're not large, planet-destroying objects.

E_T

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
Asteroids range from dust-particle size to ones that are a few miles across. The average sized one is about 300 meters across. www.hotliquidmagma.com...

Small objects are "officially" called as meteoroids.

Boundary between meteoroid and asteroid depends on interpretation but it's pretty commonly accepted that objects over size of 100 meters are asteroids.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   
all this talk about the earth ending makes me feel all sad and stuff...... now my sthomoch hurts...

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 04:01 PM
link   
If you need proof of recent impacts, just look at our buddy the moon for signs of impact.
john

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   
You know with all our nations hoarding all these huge nukes and the U.S. making advances in defensive laser weapons, wouldn't it be a smart idea for a U.N. resolution to place a defensive astral impact weapon up in space somewhere just in case? I mean after all if an individual decent sized asteroid can wipe out life and civilzation as we know now, I think that is a bigger threat than middle eastern terrorists or North Korean missle threats. It would most likely be one of the most expensive projects in the history of our world, but I think that money would be well spent if it were for stopping the end of the world ya know

[edit on 7/21/2004 by DYepes]

new topics

top topics

join