It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Leonid Elenin even exist?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut
Comets are usually made of ice with small amounts of minerals embedded (dirty snowballs is how they are described) they just don't have magnetic fields so they can't magnetically affect our poles.

No comet has been observed to be greater than 7 miles (10 km) in diameter, so they don't have any appreciable gravitational 'tug' on us.

There's nothing out in the vacuum of space but the diffuse particles of the solar wind for a comet to "rub" against to build up an electrical charge so, no electrical effect on us, either.

Comet Elenin's closest pass to the Earth (on 21st October, this year) is 21 million miles away.

Leonid Elenin exists and the comet exists.

Too much credence has been given to people who have "made stuff up" to inflate their own ego's or line their wallets.

Santa exists too. Prove to my little son that he does't...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by RadicalRebel

I will also note that in my earlier searches THIS suspect site never once came up. I know because i gave up searching site for a while and was getting ready for bed and decided i would google it one more time.....

What may also be of note, is the fact you can't right-click on the page for it's creation info.

The name "Leonid Elenin" sent my 'Spidey Sense' into overdrive the moment I heard it too.
Something's not right in all this...
edit on 17-3-2011 by OptimisticPessimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by oxbow

Originally posted by Amaterasu
If you go to the JPL site ( ssd.jpl.nasa.gov... ) and rotate it so that you're looking at the solar system side on, you will see that the "comet's" approach was nearly in line with the plane of ecliptic, making the fact that it will be slightly above/below substantially moot.

So though it is off from the orbits of the rest of the stuff, it is hardly off at all.

At the huge distances involved, it does matter. On March 11 Elenin was approximately 1.8 degrees below the ecliptic. Rough calculations using basic trigonometry and extrapolating a line from Elenin through Earth, by the time it reaches the Sun, that line will be approximately 4,659,000km above the ecliptic. The Sun's diameter is approximately 1,390,000km. So, it appears that the 3 bodies weren't aligned at all, not by a good 3 million km.

This may be so, but if the gravitational impact of the "comet" is large enough, its not quite 2 degrees shift is aligned enough. Now a 45 degree skew... That would be different. And we really don't know its gravitational impact because no one is pinning down its size.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Drala

Originally posted by oxbow

Originally posted by TrgiclyHip
Recently a few threads on ATS have been made outlining this idea: When comet elenin aligns with the earth and sun it causes an earthquake. There have been at least three instances of earthquakes during periods in which ELENIN was aligned with the earth and sun

There is absolutely no proof of this whatsoever. I'd like somebody to explain how, in a constantly moving system, comet Elenin manages to keep aligning itself with the Earth and the Sun.

ok in your mind picture a dot that is the sun, then a circle that is the orbit of the earth....then imagine a line approaching the circle and dot(the path of whatever)...everytime the earth is lined up with this line and the sun it causes an earthquake...picture the perfect combo shot in pool...we are the pocket or we are the ball in the middle depending on the swing of the circle you envisioned... as the line(object) draws closer we are supposed to feel increased effects...

Additionally in the same constantly moving system you envision...the moon rotates around the earth, the earth still manages to rotate around the sun and the sun around the galaxy....actually its more like a spiral we travel along...picture a falling maple key from a tree...the middle of rotation is the sun the outter edge of the key/leaf is the orbit of earth and the path it takes through the air to the ground is the path around the galaxy....hope that helps the conceptualization for you

Decreased distance=increased energy....lets hope its not quadratic output of energy like electromagnetic fields...
edit on 17-3-2011 by Drala because: (no reason given)

I should have made it clear that when I said how does Elenin manage to keep aligning itself, I meant because it's approaching us from below the solar plane/ecliptic, and therefore can't be aligned with the Earth and the Sun. I posted some calculations earlier in the thread, but they went ignored.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Here is an interesting side note- When you go to the NASA website and search the term Elenin you get 2 pages of hits, Some are from a FAQ section where you can ask a NASA employee to answer your questions-

The following link is to questions answered by Astrobiologist- David Morrison :

This one is dated 2/12/2011- astrobiology.nasa.gov...

At the very bottom he states that Comet Elenin will not be visible with out a telescope. Someone correct me if I am wrong but havent multiple sources stated this "comet" will be visible to the naked eye by the end of September? Should you happen to read some of the responses to the many questions about ELENIN- You will see they all pretty much hint at the same thing- Anyone questioning the validity of the offered information is a CRAZY- One of the answers even goes as far as to mention this website AND then says people should only count on information coming from trustworthy, accredited websites- which brings me to this quote from this page-
astrobiology.nasa.gov...

"The lesson here is to know your sources of information. Wikipedia is almost always accurate, and so are the government NASA and NOAA and Geologic Survey websites.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
The day I can look up and see a comet with binoculars at least is when I will believe this BS story. I am placing my money on it being a Brown Dwarf Star that is coming and its name is Wormwood as that is the only thing that can and will disturb earth like we have been witnessing. Everyone must know by now something out there rocks the hell out of earth every so many years so bad there is no record of it. The bible has been 100 percent accurate so far. Even when we can look up and see the star im sure some here will say TPTB put it there lol, or that its Nibiru even though Nibiru is not even a word and it was made up by Sitchen to make himself look good before he died. To bad he had to ignore the real experts in the field.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp

Originally posted by Drunkenparrot
Try these...

Leonid Elenin's space observation website

Here are a couple of many articles authored by Leonid Elenin

«C/2010 X1 (Elenin)»

Leonid Elenin's email contacts...

Leonid Elenin facebook page

[email protected]

[email protected]

Take note that while Leonid Elenin is a real astronomer whose discovery of C/2010 X1 (Elenin) is a real comet that will be visible later this year, nearly everything else floating about is nonsense.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. That was very informative. Source(s)? What I mean by that is, how were you able to get all of this info when everyone else has, so far, been stumped?
edit on 3/17/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

Actually, if you read the earlier posts in this thread you will find that all of those have been linked to already (and in english).

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrgiclyHip
Here is an interesting side note- When you go to the NASA website and search the term Elenin you get 2 pages of hits, Some are from a FAQ section where you can ask a NASA employee to answer your questions-

The following link is to questions answered by Astrobiologist- David Morrison :

This one is dated 2/12/2011- astrobiology.nasa.gov...

At the very bottom he states that Comet Elenin will not be visible with out a telescope. Someone correct me if I am wrong but havent multiple sources stated this "comet" will be visible to the naked eye by the end of September? Should you happen to read some of the responses to the many questions about ELENIN- You will see they all pretty much hint at the same thing- Anyone questioning the validity of the offered information is a CRAZY- One of the answers even goes as far as to mention this website AND then says people should only count on information coming from trustworthy, accredited websites- which brings me to this quote from this page-
astrobiology.nasa.gov...

"The lesson here is to know your sources of information. Wikipedia is almost always accurate, and so are the government NASA and NOAA and Geologic Survey websites.

LOL he obviously does not take his own advice....
doing a quick reference on wiki he has already proven himself ignorant at best....
theWikipedia Page states

On 16 October 2011, the comet will pass within about 0.23 AU (34,000,000 km; 21,000,000 mi) of the Earth

Its ok though i can understand his confusion, i mean its only about a 9 million mile difference...about 30% closer than that person would have others believe..

so i searched Skyandtelescope.com and found ONLY that one link which also gives (i believe) the original observations stating

it appears that the comet's perihelion will occur well inside Earth's orbit, about 0.45 a.u. (42 million miles) from the Sun, next September 5th.

and a further comment at the bottom of the page estimating a 10k year orbit

Originally posted by alex1
when was the last time comet Elenin was seen?

according to the information on wiki (see the box on the right hand side) its projected orbit is 11,800 years....

Given that as time passes they are able to get better readings of such information you would think that there would be some update somewhere other than the JPL data (which by the way seems to be the basis for all of those GLP and ATS articles mentioned).

Still searching but all i find are incongruities...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I am definitely looking forward to finding out more information in the months to come....but there's a few things I feel:

1. I don't give too much credence to what NASA says the more and more I've been learning....
2. I don't see how a comet can have *ANY* effect on our weather or planet unless it comes REALLY close...wouldn't it have to come closer than the moon to do ANYTHING? I am not an astronomy major for what it's worth....just opinions on the things I've read
3. I am more concerned about the effects of the sun on our planet with it reaching it's solar maximum soon....

As for this comet.....if it were a "brown dwarf" or something larger than a comet, wouldn't there be many more astronomers looking into and VERIFYING this?

Interesting nonetheless OP, thanks for sharing....

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
TrgiclyHip you are on to something big. Leonid Elenin does not exist. If he did, he would have been interviewed in person (at least once) concerning his thoughts about the comet that he allegedly discovered in December 2010. Has anyone, anywhere in the world, seen such an interview?

So, why the announcement of a comet discovered by a mysterious guy that apparently doesn't exist? I can only speculate that this comet (or whatever it is) has been determined to be of major importance by some in the scientific community and they have chosen to use a pre-determined alert phrase as a warning. A code phrase used to notify those who need to know of an impending Extinction Level Event in September 2011 (ELE and NIN).

Sound far-fetched? It is well-documented that during World War Two the résistance fighters in Europe (French, Dutch, etc.) listened regularly to radio broadcasts from England (and searched newspapers) for specific words and phrases that would tell them that certain activities or operations were about to happen. This low-key method has been used continuously since WW2 and is often used today in espionage activities.

The only existing photo of L. Elenin shows a guy that is no "spring chicken". The guy in that picture has been around for a few decades. If that is Leonid Elenin, there should be evidence of his work somewhere that goes back more than 36 months. The articles posted earlier on this thread are all recent.....and easily fabricated. No one has been able to find credible evidence. "Leonid Elenin" is a warning.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by dogbreath

Thanks Dogbreath for backing me up here, I just cant shake this feeling that something is amuck, I have spent the last 6 hours looking for clues, signs, proof of something, anything, and I just keep linking back to the same articles, the same conclusions, and the same frustration.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by tonygal

Good eye! and ear for the phoenetics of nine eleven.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I wish I could help you more. This topic needs to be elevated.

If I was more tech-savvy I'd post a You Tube vid concerning this. I think the only way to get media interested enough in this "Leonid Elenin" phenomena is to raise awareness worldwide. Then we'd either have (1) an appearance by Leonid Elenin, (2) disclosure by the scientific community that an ELE is likely, or (3) more stonewalling.
In any event, we'll know the truth before too long.

Do yourself and your loved ones a favor - prepare as much as possible.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by RadicalRebel
Actually, if you read the earlier posts in this thread you will find that all of those have been linked to already (and in english).

My appologies, I read your post but somehow overlooked your including the ISOM-NW link.

Originally posted by OldCorp

Thanks. That was very informative. Source(s)? What I mean by that is, how were you able to get all of this info when everyone else has, so far, been stumped?

I found Leonid Elenin's affiliation with IWSO-NM through a photo posted on Gary Kronks Cometograpy page

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

For what its worth here is truth and fact, take from it what you will.

I'm going to assume we are all in agreement that dirty snowball correctly describes the composition of a comet nucleus.

With this in mind, the largest known comet is only a few kilometers in diameter.

It is impossible for a comet to have the mass to generate the gravitational force to affect any part of the orbital mechanics at work within our solar system. To have the influence suggested by some would require something in order of a Jovian mass, billions of times greater than a comet.

If I may, I dont understand the suspicion regarding Leonid Elenin's identity? There are thousands of both amateur and professorial astronomers credited with discovering comets, most of whom have little if any presence on the internet. That none of the MSM have tracked the guy down for an interview is not surprising or out of the ordinairy.

The only big deal about C/2010 X1 (Elenin) is that it was recently discovered and should be visible in a few months, everything else is internet nonsense from the tinfoil hat brigade.

Sorry everyone but I dont see a conspiracy on anyones part but the yahoos posting silly made up videos on youtube trying to make this some imminent catastrophe that it is not.

Thats my two cents...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenparrot

Thank you DrunkenParrot, Your opinion is just as welcome as everyone elses in this thread, To clarify to you why I feel suspicous about Elenin-

There are 3 major earthquakes that have happened during periods when "Comet Elenin" is aligned with earth and the sun. You can see this for yourself by checking out this link (if you havent already done so) www.abovetopsecret.com...

The model program used comes from a very trustworthy source - NASA

To me, the real concern is that this may not be a comet at all, Perhaps we should be seeing how we can prove it either is or it isnt.... Then the question still remains, if it isnt a comet, what is it, OR if it is a brown dwarf, would a brown dwarf cause gravitational pull strong enough to cause earthquakes on earth?

Keeping in mind that aside from the major earthquakes we have had much more swarming activity as of late than in the past and in areas where EQ's are rare....

Which brings me back to - Does Leonid Elenin exist? or is the name a code, or is he a fabricated persona ? To many questions and not enough answers

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drunkenparrot

For what its worth here is truth and fact, take from it what you will.

I'm going to assume we are all in agreement that dirty snowball correctly describes the composition of a comet nucleus.

With this in mind, the largest known comet is only a few kilometers in diameter.

It is impossible for a comet to have the mass to generate the gravitational force to affect any part of the orbital mechanics at work within our solar system. To have the influence suggested by some would require something in order of a Jovian mass, billions of times greater than a comet.

If I may, I dont understand the suspicion regarding Leonid Elenin's identity? There are thousands of both amateur and professorial astronomers credited with discovering comets, most of whom have little if any presence on the internet. That none of the MSM have tracked the guy down for an interview is not surprising or out of the ordinairy.

The only big deal about C/2010 X1 (Elenin) is that it was recently discovered and should be visible in a few months, everything else is internet nonsense from the tinfoil hat brigade.

Sorry everyone but I dont see a conspiracy on anyones part but the yahoos posting silly made up videos on youtube trying to make this some imminent catastrophe that it is not.

Thats my two cents...

Of course... We don't know for sure we even have a comet. There is much debate on that. Some claim "brown dwarf." Or would you say you have proof that the object in question is undeniably a comet?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

For the record, Comet Elenin is currently inside the orbit of Jupiter (ie: closer to us than Jupiter).

Are you suggesting that an object - larger than Jupiter, and close enough to the Earth to affect us gravitationally, appears as a small indistinct dot in telescopes that can resolve the moons of Jupiter?

Get real.

The reason that you cant find Leonard Elenin's details is that he is now so far down on all search engine's listings.

This is because the lists are based on the number of referencing links and number of clicks, and all these bull@#$% sites are referencing each other as 'proof' of their unreasoned and evidence-free idea.

Just check out your fave search engine and look at the sites that appear at the top of the lists. They are all blogs by nobodies reinforcing their insignificance. Not a single University or Astronomical organisation (except perhaps NASA who seems to be tiring of explaining the same thing and keep referring to their earlier posts).
edit on 17/3/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Not sure how interesting this is, but a little while ago I tried searching for info on elenin via osti.gov, but the search engine returns no results .....

Osti.gov (Elenin search)

I even tried their bridge version, but nothing no returned results.
This is a public resource pool for the scientific community to share information and research, so why isn't anything mentioned here ???
edit on 17-3-2011 by solargeddon because: ahhhhh typos

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut

For the record, Comet Elenin is currently inside the orbit of Jupiter (ie: closer to us than Jupiter).

Are you suggesting that an object - larger than Jupiter, and close enough to the Earth to affect us gravitationally, appears as a small indistinct dot in telescopes that can resolve the moons of Jupiter?

I am not suggesting anything but that we don't have all the information. Perhaps it's a neutron star fragment... Just an idea. I mean, if it was a neutron star fragment, a teaspoon-full might have gravitational effects.

Point is, we don't have data.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join