It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Price Gouging: Potassium Iodide

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Well for all the people here making fun of Americans looking for KI, tone it down! Here's what we know (or don't know):
1. How much more serious this will get
2. How many reactors are overheating and past control
3. How long this will go on
4. Which way the wind blows(well we do know where the jet stream goes-right into Los Angeles-my town)
5. How many reactors in trouble-more than just Fukushima
6.how many downed reactors it takes to poison the northern hemisphere for any amount of time

Basically don't know much.

Also, most people I know are clueless to all this, so it's really only people like us ATS'r and the like that are prepping for a worst case scenario in the US. The sheeple are still buying lattes and planning their weekends, not that they shouldn't.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
There's supply and demand, and then there is outright gouging. I'd say going from $10 to over $300 is certainly an example of the latter....

Though I do think it's unnecessary for people in North America to be buying these pills.

Very true. Just wait until the crisis is over, and then get some to prepare for any possible future event closer to home.

How can it be considered "gouging" when on eBay people are bidding Iosat tabs to $250-$300 in an auction determined by simple demand? I have the tabs, but probaply won't use them, unless I find the radiation is excessive. You can get the tabs in about 3-4 weeks for $10.99 from:

beprepared.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
There have been websites posted on here with prices from$ 25bucks to $300bucks for postassium iodine. So, one or two companies are gouging.
This is a GREAT example of why you better be prepared ,and stock up on your survival requirements BEFORE you need them,not AFTER.
You think water purifiers are going to get cheaper? Forget whether they can purify radioactivity.
Prices for ALL survival supplies are going to go up. PERIOD.
You going to wait and SEE if California get's the BIG ONE within 2 weeks,knocks out San Onefre nuclear plant and THEN go buy some potassiom iodine? I know..it can't happen here,and the fallout won't reach us from Japan..oh wait..fallout will reach us, but won't carry a punch.(maybe yes maybe no)
I know..IF we get the BIG ONE..and the reactor doesn't go down..AND your house doesn't crash over you,..just wait for FEMA to bring you food and water.
Ask the Japanese people how well that's going for them. At least all the Reporters Hotels have food.
Wake up.
Be Prepared.
Go file a grevience with the U.S. Government you don't like the price gouging. And then???....Wait.THAT'LL Show those gougers.
OR? Go to your local military survival store, and buy some rashions. And a water purifier.
I'm no fearmonger at ALL. But being prepared only seems logical based on what's been happening.
I found out Northern California did'nt have much P.I. on hand because it's used to make Meth and no one keeps more then 2 bottles on the shelfs. Had to get mine from a friend in Alaska.
I HOPE I never need it. My friend the Doctor has had hers since 9/11 and gets fresh doses regularly.
Just to be safe.
How much is it worth to you IF there is radiation poisoning in the air?
I'd skip my car payment for a month if it meant I would'nt die. But that's just me.
I'm not waiting untill there's a plume over my head to go try and find it.
AND? IF we don't get a big shaker here in Cali in the next 2 or 3 weeks? Prices will go back down..so you got nothing to worry about right?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by billxam

Yea they did that a bit back for other products. Don't expect amazon to give a crap about your rights.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by romanmel

Glad you asked.

Here in Florida, we have specific laws about it (due to past Hurricanes).

As a criminal offense, Florida's law[2] is typical. Price gouging may be charged when a supplier of essential goods or services sharply raises the prices asked in anticipation of or during a civil emergency, or when it cancels or dishonors contracts in order to take advantage of an increase in prices related to such an emergency. The model case is a retailer who increases the price of existing stocks of milk and bread when a hurricane is imminent. It is a defense to show that the price increase mostly reflects increased costs, such as running an emergency generator, or hazard pay for workers.

I'd say, by sheer definition, in the OP's case, he was certainly gouged.

edit on 17-3-2011 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by billxam

Demand rises and supply decreases means the prices will rise.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by billxam

Relax, prices are at panic levels right now because of an enormous jump in demand. Give it a month or two and when the supply grows to meet and exceed the demand the price will drop substantially.

This is Economics 101 folks. The same reason a dozen roses is 90 dollars before Valentines day. Everyone wants them.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
OH... Just to reassure everyone that it CAN"T happen here...the San Onofre Nuclear Power spokesmen came on record to say the Reactors were designed to withstand a 7.0 earthquake.So we'll be fine.

I feel better.

www.ktla.com...

I think it's time to reevaluate the safety in case of a NINE hitting ,not a SEVEN..but don't want to sound like a fearmonger.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Why did Amazon cancel your order from Nukepills? That is the only part I really do not get.
A very good reason to stop doing business with Amazon. Exploitation of people fears, price gouging, profiteering!!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
To the Ebay/Amazon buyers:

Individual sellers are NOT companies. 1 guy on Ebay is not the company EBAY and 1 seller on AMAZON does not own AMAZON.

These are random people putting up random products for auction. If you come along, and buy my product, I notice there is a random surge in price and decide to refund your money and give the "sorry" statement. Then I re-adjust to the average price. I did the same thing when Michael Jackson Died, Sold someone bought it for 10 bucks then I realized it was going for 400 and refunded his money. Nothing you can do.

Nothing the BBB/FBi/WHATEVER can help you with. Welcome to internet auctions. I find this thread funny and made my day. Anyday where I hear of americans being ripped off due to their own fears is a day I enjoy

edit on 17-3-2011 by Quasar_La-Zar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Quasar_La-Zar

nukepills.com really sounds more like a company....but being a fat, stupid American, I must be wrong, and bow to your superior intellect and physical fitness...

edit on 17-3-2011 by Gazrok because: we stupid, fat Americans can't always get websites right

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

nukepill.com really sounds more like a company....but being a fat, stupid American, I must be wrong, and bow to your superior intellect and physical fitness...

lol It's a shame he had to include that nasty ending, the first part of the post was worth keeping around this thread.

What's the over/under on how many minutes before it's removed for lack of decorum?? I say 10 minutes.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Fear is driving the GRAVY TRAIN and causing the supply and demand effect for these pills.
This is what most of us on ATS are fighting against...Fear tactics and Greed !

CHOO CHOO...CHOO CHOO...The Gravy train for the Greedy !!

Get off the TRAIN America...you are a great, strong, wonderful giving, people !
The Land of The Brave and Strong !

How many are profiting from your fear ??
They are sitting back rubbing their hands with glee..pharmaceuticals... come on !!

Maybe the airstram will take fallout to your shores......but what about Japan itself ?
Hell how about Korea, China, Russia,....I would rather be in America if Japan goes off than on this side of the world !!

It really seems to depend which way the wind blows I guess.....but at least there's a fair bit of ocean between Japan and America.

There are millions in real danger from this, they are the ones that may or will need the tablets, and panic buying product, which is inflating demand supply and price, could mean real sickness or death to those that really need it.

Please try to be calm brothers and sisters.
Peace

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Weeeden
They cancelled your order cause they wanted to raise the prices and hoped you'd re-order at the new ones???
Wth is wrong with those people.. sheeesh!!

what's wrong you ask?...jesus, where have you been..they are a corporation, all they care about is profit, they do not care about anyones life, unless it affects their bottom line.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Ya, if your being robbed for pills you do not need at all, you are not bright. America is also coincidentally the fattest nation in the world, so if your paying $300 for 12 pills, your not doin it right

What you want me to be proud of you for being safe? So is EVERYONE ELSE IN AMERICA, WE ARE STEALING RESOURCES WE DO NOT NEED. Why must we consume every single resource even if we do not need them?

However, If you are paying 300 a pack, then Its more in their interest to keep those pills in America and profit off of the fears of people. Supply & Demand at its finest.

Manners and decorum message in 20 mins.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

What's the over/under on how many minutes before it's removed for lack of decorum?? I say 10 minutes.

for a compliment?

Just as a tidbit here though. Yes, nukepills.com is a company, and although the price gouge is pretty bad, they did do some good. If you check their website, they donated 50,000 potassium iodide tablets to the relief efforts.

Ya, if your [you're] being robbed for pills you do not need at all, you are stupid. America is also coincidentally the fattest nation in the world, so if your [you're] paying $300 for 12 pills, your [you're] stupid.

Stupid may be a bit harsh...but foolhardy or a bit paranoid or worrisome may be accurate. Obesity rates don't really factor into it though.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

nukepills.com really sounds more like a company....but being a fat, stupid American, I must be wrong, and bow to your superior intellect and physical fitness...

edit on 17-3-2011 by Gazrok because: we stupid, fat Americans can't always get websites right

Nukepills.com is a company, but its not amazon/ebay. Companies/individuals sell on these sites. So Dont get mad at the site, get mad at the people.

Ill have my statue made out of marble and silver, and have them evenly distributed throughout america. Thanks

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I say this again and again because i hope someone will finally see the truth and doesnt get fooled like the rest of idiots. There is no thread, the radiation is NOT DEADLY to japanese people. So why would it be after traveling this distance over the ocean. You people are falling for this trick so hard.

Instead of beeing mad about pills you dont need, how about giving all the activity at FEMA a close look?
Thats the thing americans should look at now, not japan and a so called radiation thread that doesnt exist.

If you don't have fun in the FEMA trains and camps starting the 24th of march

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Amazon.com is most certainly a company, listed on the NASDAQ as AMZN...
E-Bay is also a company, listed on the NASDAQ as EBAY...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

for a compliment?

Nvmd, it's irrelevant now. He/she edited out the "Stupid fat American" bigoted trolling part of the post.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join