It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greece imposes Olympics arms ban

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Greece says national Olympic teams will not be allowed to bring their own armed security guards to the Games.
But, "Leaders, presidents, kings are one thing and athletes are another," George Voulgarakis said.
"The leaders of countries have specific protocols, that are separate and unrelated with the Olympics. These are bilateral agreements signed many years ago."

The country's constitution bans foreigners from bearing arms on Greek soil.
news.bbc.co.uk...

I don't get it. It's "all Greek to me". j/k
Sanc'.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Well this is disturbing, if I was a member of the US olympic team I would have to reconsider my involvement in these games. Does anyone know how "good" the Greek security forces are?

I would think it would make their job easier if they concentrated on securing the Olympic areas without having to use resources to secure all athletes as well.

This action seems to put a strain on Greece's security mission and would increase the chances of a successful attack IMO.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 08:27 AM
link   
So much for bushes "safer America safer Americans" and "the world is a safer place" what a whole bunch of BS, the only way to ensure the Olympics American athletes safety is to keep them at home. But occurs it they refuse to go to the Olympics then the war on terror will have another failure, but if they get blown up in Athens oh well they will became the heroes of the war on terror.

You know bush stinks so much I can not stand him anymore, he has brought our ways of live out of control and with not security in the world for anybody that call himself American, this is a shame and a slap in the face for the American people.

Our own Olympic team needs the reassurance of an arm guard like some communist country watching over their people so they do not try to escape, This is the future of our country men and women.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 08:27 AM
link   
The 2000 Sydney olympics had an arms ban aswell and that went fine. How paranoid and afraid can you get?

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by SiRiNO
The 2000 Sydney olympics had an arms ban aswell and that went fine. How paranoid and afraid can you get?

I think that in the post 9/11 world people a tad more fearful of attacks on special events such as the olympics. Particularly since the olympic games represent, to some, the pinnicle of humanity coming together for the sole purpose of non-violent competition.
Also, Greece is NOT Australia, they have had terror problems in the past and their security is lax to say the least.
If I were an athlete I would be a little concerned for my safety.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by SiRiNO

Good point SiRiNO

But the Sydney games were held within a totally different world security climate.
There's no way a lot of teams will go to Athens without 'dedicated' security.
Imo, this is just a main-stream press release and teams will have their own security,
because if they don't, they wont turn up.
Sanc'.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 08:54 AM
link   
looks like they will make exceptions:

story.news.yahoo.com.../afp/20040721/ts_afp/oly_2004_gre_usa_gbr_isr_040721120802

-koji K.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 09:01 AM
link   
*looking for link*

I'm sure I saw a doco' before the 2000 games that mentioned if a Country
hosts the games, there's a clause in the IOC Contract that allows certain exceptions.

Sanc'.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 09:11 AM
link   
koji_K

Just a little bit of arm twisting

US to be armed at Olympics

Until the Sydney 2000 Olympics, the only nation known to have armed its personnel to protect its athletes at an Olympics was Israel, whose agents have carried weapons since the 1972 games in Munich, when Palestinian terrorists broke into the Olympic village and killed Israeli athletes and officials.
www.news.com.au...
Sanc'.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Another article about the US Special Forces protecting our athletes. Good News let the games begin!!!!!

US forces cleared to protect Games athletes

Greece will allow 400 US Special Forces soldiers to attend the Olympic Games next month and may also permit American, Israeli and possibly British security officers to carry weapons, Greek and American officials have said.

Australia will not request the right to arm agents protecting its Olympic team, despite previously stating it wanted identical rights to other nations that are considered potential terrorist targets.

It is believed that the troops, under the auspices of NATO, will form a rapid reaction force to any major terrorist attack and could protect other teams, including Australians, during such an incident.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

top topics

join