It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fallout. Vault 101.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
First of all I want to say my heart goes out to the people in Japan.

Nuclear catastrophy strikes. Whether it be bombs, or leaks. Most of the population is contaminated.

I'm sure there are most likely some Fallout shelters for the elites so to speak. Hopefully individuals that the human race would want to continue our legacy. What happens to the rest of us? Do we unite to survive, or take what we want?

How about the mines? Being an employee of a mine, that is 700 feet underground. With proper planning, and preperation. Do you think that local communities, could go into their towns mines and survive? Our ventilation system can be ran on back up generators. Along with our emergency escape elevator. Although someone would have to fuel them topside at times. What do you guys think?

Admins: wasn't sure if this should be here or general chit chat
edit on 16-3-2011 by Selfsecurity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Selfsecurity

I've seen Mad Max... and want no part of it. My "fallout shelter" would be 00 buckshot to the dome.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Who know's?, Their might be vaults all around the world that we know nothing about just like the ones in the game. Mabye where they got the idea for the game??.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by nougat420

I've seen Mad Max... and want no part of it. My "fallout shelter" would be 00 buckshot to the dome.

I'd bet if you knew all of what is being done to all of us now, you'd pray for the freedoms you'd "gain" living in a Mad Max type of world.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
too bad we dont have "radx" and "rad away" !!! im realy looking into buying a geiger counter, too bad i cant get a "pip boy 3000" lol

playing fallout 3 and fallout new vegas has given me insight on ways to survive!!

be safe people

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
i think in the event that you need such a shelter this would be useless as described. You cannot take in ventilation without a lot of prep for filtration and treatment. You don't have a containment/isolation system for entry and exit so you are not going out side to top off. As funny as this sounds "Blast From the Past", would give you a rough (hollywood) idea of what you're after. Full self sufficiency for at the very least two weeks for short half life things or 24,000 years for plutonium. I posted on another thread about this but a good safe bet is a university built and designed after mid to late 1950's would likely have a fallout shelter. It will likely be reconfigured as storage but they have them. If you really think you need to be in one I'm sure there are plenty of people with old missile silos who would take you in for a price. Best to find your place now and make preparations so that you can drop everything and just go.

I don't think most of the people (especially in America) have any idea what a just-in-time economy means. I was living in Houston when Katrina happened and volunteered for the cleanup with a group at school. I did the same for Rita and Ike. It was hard enough to get there because fuel stations on average get a refill twice a day. They ran out of fuel days before the hurricane. We're seeing that now with the Iodine rush. The problem is that all of you selfish people buying it up are physically taking it out of the hands of those who will need it most. If radiation made it to the Americas or Europe it won't be Iodine that kills you. Even the worst case spread of this in speed and range would be scatterings of Iodine 131 which will have negligible effects (hardly enough to notice at all). With levels this low you could munch a handful of salt and be fine.

If you are worried about all the other possible materials: C's, P's, T's, U's, and other various constituents will just kill you. I can't sugar coat this, these are not known as the most deadly materials on earth for no reason. My advice is don't worry about it and do what I did while deployed. Take one round out of your side arm, write "Plan B" in permanent marker, put it in your pocket, and just go on living.
*It was actually a grenade but I carry the bullet now that I'm a student.*

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I just beat Fallout New Vegas, I did the most peaceful ending possible, peaceful other than killing Mr. House and controlling the robots, and my goal was to destabilize the NCR, as in our military, and let the individual towns and cities govern themselves with the security bots as the basic police force.

Then ending was basic anarchy ensued and some towns prospered and some suffered severely.
Is that the message this game is trying to tell everyone?
That we can't govern ourselves, because mass anarchy and death and chaos will ensue "without" a president and military running things? That's the message I got from that ending.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by viperdave
...too bad i cant get a "pip boy 3000"

Actually you can, but it's just an alarm clock unfortunately.

As for using a mine as a fallout shelter, I don't see why not? Might be a little scary, but as long as the support structure is sound enough I'm guessing things will be OK. On my survival forum, we've got a guy who built his own bunker in the side of a mountain. Pretty neat.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by utsaME

I am not at all worried about it. I meant more for a discussion. Just thought it would be interesting brain food to think about local communities surviving in their mines. To resurface as a type of clan. Thank you for your post though. It most definitely is a very serious issue.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by viperdave

I am going to go ahead and start working on my raider armor.

In the mine that I work at there actually is an old Fallout shelter that was constructed in the 50s which is actually what got me to thinking about it. It is all but stripped clean now, about the only thing around are old water containers used as trash cans.

Correction make that the 60s

www.civildefensemuseum.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

I'm sorry for misunderstanding. For some reason I envisioned a low ceiling coal mine. No, that would work very well. But for Fallout, I always kind of liked the "Thunderdome" feel of Megaton. Though, to be honest I just get bored and try to kill every npc I can find. I would say subways with flooded lower tracks at either end,
would be a fun shelter.
edit on 3/16/2011 by utsaME because: change

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by utsaME

Probably should of said it was a Salt Mine. There are sections with 20 foot high roofs.

I was always like a saint in Fallout 3. Nice thing about a mine as apposed to above ground. Is no vermin. Although I suppose that would actually be worse.

top topics

join