It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pickering nuclear plant reports water leak

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Ontario Power Generation has notified Canada's federal nuclear regulator about the release of 73,000 litres of demineralized water into Lake Ontario at the Pickering A nuclear generating station.

The leak occurred at 11:30 p.m. ET on Monday at the plant located about 35 kilometres east of Toronto and was caused by a pump seal failure.

“The radiological risk to the environment and people's health is negligible,” the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission said in a statement.
(visit the link for the full news article)
www.cbc.ca...

Related News Links:

origonal post

www.cbc.ca
city tv
ctv toronto with video
hisz.rsoe.hu
edit on 16-3-2011 by m.red because: (no reason given)

edit on Wed Mar 16 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: Breaking Alternative news stories MUST use exact title from source, and inlcude link to the sotry

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
i live downtown toronto and this happened monday but nothing on the main news about this,

with all the hype about the seriousness of this, i have to ask clean energy from the deadliest substances on earth what [snip] were we thinking. with all the other alternitive sources of energy and renewable energy with no side affects to nature or us. we must be the stupidest greediest race to poison the earth on this magnitude and expect it to just one day go away, or the idea that it wont effect us for a long time so dont worry.

wake up people money and control overpower morals and the right thing every time in there eyes.

www.cbc.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 16/3/11 by masqua because: Censor circumvention removed

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
BUMP
nuclear power is not safe
we are destroying our world
xp

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I just finished linking and posting this on the evacuate Japan thread by IAMIAM.

My mother had a dream several days ago where an angel told her Canada was next.

Of course they're targeting Canada. Like Japan, and Norway, Canada has its own banking and a so so economy, even capable of being a good one, all the while, looking after its own. If for example we take in Japan, which I highly support doing and recommend, we would be a strong visible economic monster in no time, that would at the same time, model looking after your own is where tax dollars are supposed to go and cost far less money per person than any other model.

So, they want to radiate west coast and east coast do they?

I really hope this is solved quickly and competently because there are people not fooled, wide awake, even pre-warned who are going to bring this up over and over and make sure the world truly wakes up with them if tptb keep it up.

I'll link my post, it has some politics involved. I wish we could just teleport these plants from Japan to Canada to the Rothchilds estate, I feel they deserve to deal with this nightmare alone, since they are behind this, and BP and ever so many lovely things such as middle east etc etc.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 16-3-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by m.red

From that link:

www.cbc.ca...

"In his words, 'What the hell is considered negligible?'" Nichols reported. "[Edwards] is concerned that it’s the nuclear industry that is telling you and I and telling the public what is considered to be negligible but he’s concerned that we don’t have a proper sense of what negligible is," reported Nichols.

Nichols also reported that the leak could be a concern because Lake Ontario is the main source of drinking water for millions of people who live along the lake.

1. What is negligible? What caused the leak? Is it a core issue? Will we know the truth? They've done nothing but lie about Japan? Will we only know the truth if it becomes serious?

2. Is it a warning?

3. Why are the foxes guarding the chicken coup and telling them what is safe for them?

edit on Wed Mar 16 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by m.red

So anyone else think maybe Nuclear power is no good? Stupid Nicola Tesla and his free radient energy that kills no one and powers the earth cleanly.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
It's about profit. Pure and simple. My brother in law works in the US navy as a nuke tech on a sub. He just posted some link on Facebook from some guy who works in the nuclear energy industry who claimed if the DIESEL generators had worked, we wouldn't be talking about Japanese reactors. Talk about passing the buck! Later, he claimed that only 20% of power could be generated from "green" sources "on a good day". The question I posited was "why should we trust anyone's figures for energy output when they themselves work for the FOR PROFIT nuclear (or petro, or coal) energy industries?" That energy would cut into their bottom line and their paychecks. What incentive do they have to tell the truth? Just some questions...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
SIGH....we've already ruined what was once a beautiful lake...and now this. When I was a kid we used to be able to actually eat the fish that came out of Lake Ontario, and swam all day in it. Now in the city I live in (right on Lake Ontario) it's unadvisable to even let your dog in it...

Michelle

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

i apologize for reposting on you so you deserve the credit.
the more info on the spotlight the better

but you are right, how bad is this, what are they hiding.
how many other nuclear reactors around the world will magicly have some problem that they say is no big deal.
how will this in the future affect the economy?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Man, the doom saying is getting out of control. Yeah I've been watching the news. 73,000 liters sounds like a lot but it's not. An Olympic swimming pool holds 2.5 million liters of water:

minimum 2,500 m3 (88,000 cu ft) or
2,500,000 L (550,000 imp gal; 660,000 US gal),
depending on depth.

en.wikipedia.org...

That means the contamination is less than 3% of the volume of an Olympic sized swimming pool. Not a lot. In Lake Ontario?

Water volume 393 cu mi (1,640 km3)

en.wikipedia.org...

That's not even one taking a pee in the pool. Relax people.
edit on 16-3-2011 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by mileslong54

i know its horrible free energy how could anyone come up with such a concept, poison unhealthy costly energy is what we need more of, we need to create health problems cause we have a bill to pass, i mean disregard that all go back to sleep.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I posted on this when earlier, seems you got a better response though..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
This makes me so ****** mad I cannot express myself without profanity. How dare they. So lets ruin the world's water supply too, then after that, lets just blow up the moon. Wouldn't surprise me if they wanted to start putting radioactive waste up there soon. I live on the coast of Lake Erie and its been getting ruined my whole life, but never like this. Where do we draw the line? I've truly had all I can take with the irresponsibility of people, something must be done.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Everyone I talk to claims we're pretty safe in the Greater Toronto Area but I think recent events should serve as a wake up call. Our risks are different but natural disasters can occur anywhere. I recently made emergency bags for every member of my family and we have all agreed upon nearby and distant meeting places. I think it's worth the effort for a little extra peace of mind if nothing else.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by 5StarOracle

once again i apologize and will link your page in top.
the more light on the subject the better.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Man, the doom saying is getting out of control. Yeah I've been watching the news. 73,000 liters sounds like a lot but it's not. An Olympic swimming pool holds 2.5 million liters of water:

minimum 2,500 m3 (88,000 cu ft) or
2,500,000 L (550,000 imp gal; 660,000 US gal),
depending on depth.

en.wikipedia.org...

That means the contamination is less than 3% of the volume of an Olympic sized swimming pool. Not a lot. In Lake Ontario?

Water volume 393 cu mi (1,640 km3)

en.wikipedia.org...

That's not even one taking a pee in the pool. Relax people.
edit on 16-3-2011 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

Relax? Do you realize this is just adding to the probably millions of litres of pollution being dumped into Lake Ontario by all of the industries lining it's banks. Considering just 25 years ago swimming and spending the day at the beach was something the majority of families did here...and now the beach is empty...noone can swim there, there are constantly tons of dead fish lining the beach (not to mention the needles, maxipads, diapers and god knows what else).

I realize all of those things are not the fault of the nuclear plant in Toronto...it's just adding to an already horrible mess that is Lake Ontario.

It's like saying "who care if I throw this one pop can in the ocean....the ocean is huge"..but if everyone did it everyday where would be

Michelle

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Another link

toronto.ctv.ca...

Canada's nuclear regulator said on Wednesday that demineralized water found leaking from the power plant in Pickering, Ont., poses no threat to human health. The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission confirmed the leak on Wednesday, saying that it appears to have been caused by a pump seal failure. They added it did not pose a threat to human health.

"It is not radioactive; it is not going through the reactors. It is actually just going through steam generators to produce steam to drive the turbines," Luxat told CTV News Channel. "It is used to remove heat from the heavy water going into the generators, but it doesn't at any time go into the reactor."

CTV Toronto's Paul Bliss said the Pickering plant separates the nuclear reactors from operations that do not involve radiation. "There is a very big difference between what happens on the nuclear side, where the reactor is and the radiation is, and what happens in the non-nuclear side," Bliss said. "I'm told this is from the non-nuclear side."

The water was discharged back into the lake. The OPG said the water contained trace amounts of tritium that fell far below the regulatory limits.

It still sounds safe. Not from the nuclear side at all.

About tritium: www.physics.isu.edu...
Risks are listed close to the bottom of the page.
With all the other stuff around that exposes us to different forms of radiation, or pollution of types, I don't see a reason to worry too much about this.

The worrying about this type of thing, is probably more unhealthy than the tritium itself.
edit on 16-3-2011 by snowspirit because: added.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Seriously people... you need to stop this fear mongering about everything nuclear.

CNSC, the canadian nuclear regulator has said that the released demineralized water poses a negligible health risk. Take that advice and accept it; the CNSC does their job and does it well and their main focus is on the protection of canadians. Their mandate is to protect canadians. I live in Toronto and have no worries about our CANDU reactors, which are very safe. End of story.
edit on 3/16/2011 by porky1981 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Michelle129th
It's like saying "who care if I throw this one pop can in the ocean....the ocean is huge"..but if everyone did it everyday where would be

Michelle

No, it wouldn't and that's my point, But hey, don't let logic get in the way of a sensational story. And yes, I'm a half an hour away from Lake Ontario. This little news bit is nothing(not even minuscule) compared to the contamination that industry is dumping into the lake. The talking heads have to serve the public its share of fear for the day though.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
www.cbc.ca...

There was a 4.3 earthquake in Quebec extending into Ottawa I think today. I wonder if something else had happened around Pickering recently, does anyone have readings?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join