It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A nuclear Chain Reaction could be Underway

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

The situation at Japan's Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant has become extremely unnerving. The Tokyo Electric Power Company has now admitted that the spent fuel rods could go critical - that is, a nuclear chain reaction could restart." This would be an absolute worst case disaster which would make Chernobyl look like a dress rehearsal.

www.zerohedge.com...

The equels Explosion, Nuckear Explosion, like Mushroom Cloud! Lets all hope this does not happen
edit on 16-3-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

Mod Note (This Appears On Every New Thread/Post Reply Page):
Please make sure every post matters.
Refrain from 1-line or very-minimal responses.
Edit-down your quoted posts to the important part.
Don't use "txting" shorthand in posts.
Use snippets and links for external content.
Provide meaningful comments for links, pictures, and videos.

Mod Note: Starting A New Thread ?... Look Here First.
edit on Wed Mar 16 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
The equels Explosion, Nuckear Explosion, like Mushroom Cloud! Lets all hope this does not happen

Absolutely 100% impossible. Thank God.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I also doubt that is even possible. Since it's a slightly different technique compared to an atomic bomb.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
This is admittedly serious and scary, but didn't you just start a thread yesterday telling everyone to stop fear-mongering about this?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by FOXMULDER147

I secong that fox. That type of det requires explosives placed around a source and a nano second controlled det. Like you said impossible.

I highly concur....

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

Not me I said a day ago that this is unstoppable at this point when they brough out the sea water that said it all for me. Game set match.

Please read all my post though as I say that with a very heavy heart.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocky Black

I also said the the use of CH47 to ferry the water was very bad and a last ditch effort.The biggest problem is the salts which are left behind after evap occurs. This will form voids of conductive paths and restrick the water flow even more.

The only possible way to cool it would be to inject treated water into the core and that is impossible due to the fact that they cannot get close enough to do it. It is that hot. You would be fried getting that close. That is why they are air dropping water.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

What changed your mind?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Only yesterday you were telling us to stop the fear mongering.....remember?

edit on 16-3-2011 by whaaa because: iiv

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by FOXMULDER147

Eactly. You'd get a flash over and then a lot of steam as materials ignited very fast, with plumes of radioactive smoke going into the air. But no mushroom clouds.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

if I'm not mistaken, doesn't it also require tridium to?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
They're reporting now, that there is no more water covering the spent fuel rods. It has all evaporated.
It won't be a mushroom cloud, it'll be possible/probable leakage of radiation.

www.nypost.com...

There is no water left in the spent fuel pool of reactor No. 4 at Japan's Fukushima nuclear plant, resulting in "extremely high" radiation levels, the chair of the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission warned Wednesday.

www.heraldsun.com.au...

We believe that secondary containment has been destroyed and there is no water in the spent fuel pool and we believe that radiation levels are extremely high which could possibly impact the ability to take corrective measures."

I heard it on TV, but above are sources that I believe to be reputable.
edit on 16-3-2011 by snowspirit because: added links and text

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
The New Scientist article linked to from the Zero Hedge post is alarming though; and the Tokyo power company's attempts to stop it sound woefully unimpressive despite the fearless self-sacrifice of individual workers on the ground.

Dragging buckets of water by helicopter, one by one? It reminds me of BP trying to stop its spewing oil geyser with golf balls. If it weren't so terribly frightening, it would be darkly comedic, but with so many lives at stake it's just scary and sad.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147

Originally posted by camaro68ss

Absolutely 100% impossible. Thank God.

Thanks for the post.

Although I was under the impression that it's impossible for a 'mushroom cloud type explosion'. I won't pretend that I know anything about nuclear reactions and the idea that it couldn't explode like a nuclear bomb could stem subconsciously from the fact that I'm terrified that this is the eventual conclusion of this situation. I don't really know but my thoughts and prayers are with everyone and if someone has more information regarding what exactly happens.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
***ATTENTION***

The staff have noticed that there has been an increase in posts, specifically updates about the events in Japan that are going un-sourced.

It is not ok to copy/paste from breaking news, twitter or any other source without providing a link to that source.

Please review the following links:

Mod Edit: No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link.
Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.
Mod Note: Terms & Conditions of Use – Please Review This Link.

Moving forward any posts that are proven to come from an outside source and do not have have the appropriate links will be immediately removed.

Thank You.

~Keeper
ATS Moderator

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by wingsfan

Loose lips sink ships I didn't say that. Please refrain from going to far into detail.

Good observation though.

Stay alert stay alive....

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rocky Black
reply to post by wingsfan

Loose lips sink ships I didn't say that. Please refrain from going to far into detail.

Good observation though.

Stay alert stay alive....

Anyone who has the technical expertise to build a fissile bomb already knows about the tritium part, it's not a big secret. The hard part is the shape and engineering of the detonator (that fact is also not a secret). . .

You should be far more worried about a "poor man's atom bomb", aka, "dirty bomb."

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
for any reasons i can only view the first&second post but i like to mentoin there is a chainreaktion happening right now because nuclear power plants use this chainreaktions when neutrons split other U235 Atoms. Then this atom releases while splitting nuclear radiation and other neutrons that will split more U235 Atoms and so on.
While this releases energy in form of electromagnetic waves, alpha, beta and gamma radiation theres also a result in heating up. The rods heat up and we use boil water wich transports the heat over a heat converter (into a other water system) to drive a turbine.

This reaktion has nothing to do with explosions, the only thing that could explode (as did) is when the water level in the reactor sinks down and the heat gets to much so that H and O2 molecules (the water) will diverse from each other so that a explosive gas is "created" wich can blow up because of the heat.
The other reason would be high pressure from the evaporating water wich could blow up the whole reaktor, spreading radioactive material in the air and around. This is what happened in tschernobyl. In no worst case the meltdown would end up in a rapid atom splitting chainreaction like the way you think of.

no nuclear mushroom cloud.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by verschickter

Stipping of and electron is not going to create and explosion. It may creat a plasma but not a det.

No need to worry about a major explosion. The worrie is minor explosion blowing or fire burning the material releasing the toxin into the air causing mass poisioning of the air and enviroment.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

I love the way you think.
They don't BeIieve a word..
LazerJam

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Ditch_007

Sad to say it I try to tell it like it is. You would be amazed at some of the replys I get in my in box. Stop spreading fear. Take it easy are you ok.

No man I'm fine.

A little sad about what is taking place right before my eyes but I can't do much from here in the east coast and I would definetly would not hop a plan to go over either knowing what I know.

Now if it happened in my back yard and it was Seabrook plant and it was having trouble I would drive there immediately and try to help to the best of my abilities and yes would I sacrific my life for the safety of my childer. Without a doubt.

Lets hope for the best. but I know the outcome at this stage and it is not good at all.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join