It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Global Displacement Theory.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I have a new theory and thought I would see what you think! I don't think that the sea levels are rising just because of global warming. I think the levels are rising, because we keep on putting stuff in our oceans.

Every year there is a new Cruise ship that is bigger and better than the last. The materials that are used to make the big ships are source from inland. Then the ship is manufactured and place in the ocean. This is weight that the ocean didn't have to contend with before and therefore would displace some water. We all know what happens when you get in a bath that is full to the brim. It overflows, because we displace the water.

Now imagine that there is a few thousand of these ships in the ocean. This would displace a larger amount of water. This has to happen.

There are also coal ships and cargo ships.

This one would displace a lot.Also now combine to that displacement, that there are more people world wide with boats now, more displacement.

now this is just one marina full of boats, imagine how many marinas there are? And all marinas usually have walls created from rocks, dumped in the ocean=more displacement.

More and more people have access to and are able to travel to the beach. This means more bodies in the water displacing more water.

Also we have many countries starting to build on the water. The islands have their little huts on top the water. Many Asian countries are building in rivers to accommodate more people. Dubai has created their own world map of islands by dumping alot of dirt in the ocean. This all would displace water.

They said the Dubai island complexes were a trilogy, but I can not find an image for the other one.

There are also more bridges being built, all of these bridges have tremendous poles that extend into the oceans and rivers. These poles have to displace some amount of water. That is fact. There are over 600 000 bridges in the U.S. alone. Imagine worldwide.

Also all our rubbish that is chucked in the ocean or the ships that are always sunk out at sea. Like the junk island floating around the globe.

Now as you can see if you added all of these factors together and summed up the total amount of displacement of water, that is created, it would add up to a massive of water being displaced. I think this is the true reason for global water levels to be rising, and we are stupid and being blinded.

They are making out that it is everyone fault that the waters are rising, but I think if you look a little closer, I think all the money mungars are trying to slip another fast one past us, so they can continue to make their money and ruin the world!

Ok so thats it tell us what you think?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
LOL. You really think ships make a difference? They're like grains of sand in an Olympic sized pool.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
There would be well over one billion personal water craft and they estimate 150 000 cruise ship sized ships on the ocean. Remember most of the personal watercraft, yachts, boats are housed at marinas.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Good idea, but not possible. The amount of displacement from ships is so small it would be considered mathematically negligible. Were talking .0000001% of the ocean being moved, probably less, so sea rise is not caused by displacement, case closed

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Slipdig1

You could probably get a fairly good estimation of how much water has been displaced if you crunched all the numbers.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Are the debunkers, can you please not just focus on one part of this theory. There is many parts. Are we all supposed to believe those mathmatics as well, we know you just pulled this out of the air.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by WhizPhiz

I have got some more mathmatically minded people onto it.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
ou have to remember that as times go by they add more and more to the ocean. Everything is getting bigger and there is more, this is causing displacement to the ocean and causing it to rise.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
This does make sense but the main reason to water displacement is Global Warming. The ships can contribute due to the amount of co2 emmisions along with the cargo and coal boats. We would have to create alot of boats and artificial islands to see drastic changes to sealevels.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
We have created alot of boats and alot of islands and sunk alot of ships and reclaimed land swamped by ocean and many bridges and more and more............

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

And alot of species have died in the water too such as whales sharks and etc. So this can contribute to the water displacement right.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by HeldHostage14

And alot of species have died in the water too such as whales sharks and etc. So this can contribute to the water displacement right.

If this was true then there would be no land left on Earth. Everything that dies in the ocean is "recycled" to form new animals.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by PoorFool

True. I believe that they are alot of variables to look at when it comes to this subject.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by PoorFool

My point is basically we have taken alot of materials, that were once land based materials and we have put it in the ocean.

A full cup of water, full to the brim, over flows if you drop an ice cube into it Its simple put stuff in the ocean the water has to go somewhere.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Well lets look at it this way:

The surface area of the Worlds oceans is 335 258 000 km2

To raise the level of the worlds oceans by a metre you would need:

335 258 000 km2 * 0.0000001 km =335.258 km3 (0.0000001 km2= 1 metre)

A cubic metre of salt water weighs 1.027 tonnes. therefore:

A cubic metre of salt water weighs 1.027 tonnes *1000000metres =1 027 000 tonnes for a cubic kilometre of salt water

1 027 000 tonnes* 335.258km3= 344 309 966 tonnes

344 309 966 tonnes of water will need to be displaced to make a one metre rise in the oceans of the world.

There are around 250 cruise ships worldwide each weighing Average Gross tonnage of 100 000 tonnes

So the cruise ships world wide weigh 25 000 000tonnes in total.

There are around 9000 cargo ships around the world each weighing an average of 50 000 tonnes

so the cargo ships world wide weigh 450 000 000 tonnes in total.

now this is what they say about floating:

The standard definition of floating was first recorded by Archimedes and goes something like this: An object in a fluid experiences an upward force equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object. So if a boat weighs 1,000 pounds (or kilograms), it will sink into the water until it has displaced 1,000 pounds (or kilograms) of water. Provided that the boat displaces 1,000 pounds of water before the whole thing is submerged, the boat floats.

So to me this means if the combined weight of all the boats is 475 000 000 tonnes then at one time there could be 475 000 000 tonnes of sea water displaced. I f everything was full.
I expect that half of these ships would be empty at any one time, so if we half the total it is more likely the figure of water displaced by the ships at one time.

This would be 237 500 000 tonnes of water displaced. If we needed 344 309 966 tonnes to be displaced to make a metre rise, these ships account for around two thirds of a metre rise or 60 cm globally

I think this is right is there any mathematicians to check my work?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Well lets look at it this way:

The surface area of the Worlds oceans is 335 258 000 km2

To raise the level of the worlds oceans by a metre you would need:

335 258 000 km2 * 0.0000001 km =335.258 km3 (0.0000001 km2= 1 metre)

A cubic metre of salt water weighs 1.027 tonnes. therefore:

A cubic metre of salt water weighs 1.027 tonnes *1000000metres =1 027 000 tonnes for a cubic kilometre of salt water

1 027 000 tonnes* 335.258km3= 344 309 966 tonnes

344 309 966 tonnes of water will need to be displaced to make a one metre rise in the oceans of the world.

There are around 250 cruise ships worldwide each weighing Average Gross tonnage of 100 000 tonnes

So the cruise ships world wide weigh 25 000 000tonnes in total.

There are around 9000 cargo ships around the world each weighing an average of 50 000 tonnes

so the cargo ships world wide weigh 450 000 000 tonnes in total.

now this is what they say about floating:

The standard definition of floating was first recorded by Archimedes and goes something like this: An object in a fluid experiences an upward force equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object. So if a boat weighs 1,000 pounds (or kilograms), it will sink into the water until it has displaced 1,000 pounds (or kilograms) of water. Provided that the boat displaces 1,000 pounds of water before the whole thing is submerged, the boat floats.

So to me this means if the combined weight of all the boats is 475 000 000 tonnes then at one time there could be 475 000 000 tonnes of sea water displaced. I f everything was full.
I expect that half of these ships would be empty at any one time, so if we half the total it is more likely the figure of water displaced by the ships at one time.

This would be 237 500 000 tonnes of water displaced. If we needed 344 309 966 tonnes to be displaced to make a metre rise, these ships account for around two thirds of a metre rise or 60 cm globally

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Sorry for the double post mods I didn't know i did that. I do all that maths and no one wants to check it? Where is the ol' maths teacher when you need him hey?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Come on I did the math and all. Am I not gunna get one person even paying me out, maybe I need a title change.

Am I right? Does my math add up?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Slipdig1
Come on I did the math and all. Am I not gunna get one person even paying me out, maybe I need a title change.

Am I right? Does my math add up?

I think you might be on to something. We don't just put boats on the water. We build bridges and oil rigs, we dump millions of 3m of rocks into the ocean to build super large harbours or just to dispose of earth waste. But we also have ice caps on land that melt. This will also displace sea water and make it rise. Rivers bring with them millions of 3m of dirt and waste from land and into the ocean. This also makes the sea level rise.

I have a IQ question for the disbelievers: If you take a glass and put a large ice cube in it and than fill it up to the rim with water.

Will the water go over the rim of the glass if the ice cube melts?

edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Yeah, I reckon I'm onto something and the silence in this thread is deafening. I mean this is a viable idea. I admit its not a very exciting one and a simple answer for the problem, but isn't it usually the simplest answer is right.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join