It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS spelling HIGH HORSE CLUB

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Usually a typo from me, I don't know why people would spell wrong on purpose...

Refrain from 1-line or very-minimal responses.
Edit-down your quoted posts to the important part.
Don't use "txting" shorthand in posts.
Use snippets and links for external content.
Provide meaningful comments for links, pictures, and videos.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Everybody makes mistakes, especially when they are typing rapidly because they feel strong emotions about the thread topic.

But saying, "I'm sloppy, but don't let it bother you" is like farting loudly on a crowded subway and wondering why people feel superior.

There is a strong correlation between well thought-out posts, and well typed-out posts.

Most of the inarticulate posters add little of import. I think they are generally the school-age kids who post on complex topics without really mastering concepts involved. "sux to be J-pan rite now, I don't even like sushee" kind of thing.

And it's "thanks for bearing with me", not "thanks for baring with me."

Bearing refers to the heavy burden of reading your misspelled posts.

Baring involves an invitation to get naked with you, which I will pass on, for now. thanks.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by triplescorpio
reply to post by XXXN3O

you are the first to get my point it is scary we all communicate in this new inferior language i am guilty most are and thos e who arent well they aint perfect thats for sure but my point was this new way of writing and speaking is infectious at best star for u lol

I dont think spelling is a massive issue as long as what you type can be understood.

Speaking clearly is important though. Ive noticed that the generation after me is starting to speak in nothing but incoherent mumbles.

I am from Scotland, the scottish accent is normally quite hard for people to understand but lately im noticing that youngsters under sixteen are talking gibber that makes no sense at all.

Heres a good example of what I mean...

(Just the first 20 seconds of the boy speaking)
edit on 16-3-2011 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
The lack of attention to spelling does drive me nuts online.
It tells a story actually. It says - I don't care about anything except what "I" want to care about -
These are the people who didn't pay attention in school, don't listen to advice, have lots of fool's pride, and are usually ignorant people in general. That's just my 3+ decades observation of people. I don't care what any of you think of me and you shouldn't care what I think of you, unless I'm paying your bills for you, then you should care.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
The point of communication is to relay a thought from person A to person B. If person B receives said thought from person A then the mission is accomplished. I think context and grammar are way more important than spelling, even so, I am no expert. I prefer to be articulate and speak strong but that doesn't mean I won't understand you if you choose not to. Then again, spelling things wrong on purpose is just silly and pointless. I feel if you at least make an attempt to be intelligent, whether you are or not, then you should be helped by your peers and not criticized.
edit on 16-3-2011 by ImmortalIntegrity because: grammar correction believe it or not lmao

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I write for a living, if you can believe that. Spelling is very, very important to me. While the txt speech has its place, I suppose, a message board may not be the right place for it. Just as an email to a colleague wouldn't be the proper place for it.

Does it save time when sending a text message? Yes, it can.

I'm a word nerd, and as much as it pains me, I would venture to guess that 95% of the time I text in the same manner as I write on this board.

Writing well can make you sound smarter than you are.

Writing poorly...well, you get the gist.

I believe another member here "corrected" your OP. Place those two posts side by side. Even though the message is the same, I believe if you would have posted the "correct" version first the argument may have been taken a bit more seriously.

Bottom line: TXT speech, nuspeak, 733t speech, and pig-Latin may all be understandable by most folks to a certain degree. However, each has its time and place in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I just wanted to add the things I immediately ignore/do not take as an intelligent source....

--More then, less then, better then.... it's more THAN, less THAN, better THAN... are you referring to the past tense? "I liked this food more then that one." ...huh?

--Their, there, and they're.... come on people, this is 3rd grade stuff here!
Their- as in "their house, their car, their money, their kids", denotes possession, ownership.
They're... means "they are" abbreviated, simple enough.
There - as in "over there, there you are, I'll be over there at 7 tonight", look it up if you want a detailed explanation.

--A and AN ... the general rule is you say AN right before a word that begins with a VOWEL, there are a few exceptions to the rule when Y is involved, also abbreviations, like "A UFO" vs "AN UFO", other THAN that, you use AN in front of a word that begins with a vowel. Do not be like Obama talking about the CFR..."Uhhhh, I don't believe I am A official member...." It's AN official member... he also thinks we have 58 states in the USA.

--Could OF, should OF, would OF.... omg I can't stand these people. Really? Phonetic spelling? What you are sounding out are the contractions of "Could've, Would've, Should've" which are forms of "could have, should have, would have" ...please stop doing this. =(

I know grammar is difficult because it makes no sense really, but it is what it is in this country and if we want to communicate intelligently with our fellow humans, we should learn how to do it correctly. We all make spelling errors, no one can be perfect all the time, but some of these "mistakes" are viral and cancerous IMO. If I was a boss hiring people, I would steer more towards those who have good spelling on their applications, common sense I think.
Think about that when you argue that "it doesn't really matter, who cares?"

edit on 16-3-2011 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

ya know i do understand about what u mea when u say I am all that matters my thoughts my WAY i do for that i appreciate your words very much

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
The real issue is how seriously you want your posts to be taken. I think most people are tolerant of a typo or two. They are also tolerant of people whose native language is not English. As your spelling and grammar get worse, so does your reputation. You may claim to be as intelligent as the next person, but part of the measure of intelligence is the ability to communicate well. Someone who is persuasive in his written work gains a bigger audience. Basically, as your grammar and spelling get worse your audience declines. People have varying levels of tolerance for this; it's their choice.

Yours certainly is not the first post on this subject. Except for people who are truly dyslexic, I don't believe a lack of spelling and grammar skills puts you on an equal basis with your contemporaries who are more educated. WHY you are not well educated is certainly open for debate. It could be the educational system itself (A favorite target because you can blame someone else.) It could be your own laziness, or it could be that your IQ just isn't quite up to par. I have no idea why you spell as you do. All I know is your attitude. You think it should not matter; I think it does. I suspect you are confusing equality of opportunity with equality of achievement. You have the opportunity. If you chose willfully to ignore it, that's your problem.

So the bottom line is that even though you may be an Einstein, if you look stupid or act stupid, that's how you will be treated. Your posts will be ignored. Your views on whatever matter interests you will be discarded. Nobody cares one way or another. If you want people to pay attention to your wit and wisdom, you will pay attention to your own spelling and grammar.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
its atcaluy azamnig how clmopex the hamun mnid is wehn it cemos to rdaenig txet....

I'd wager you could even read the above pretty fast.

Thing is, on ATS, we have posters from around the world, where English may even be a second (or third, etc.) language. As long as a person can communicate their ideas, a little spelling issue shouldn't adversely affect the idea.

However, it certainly can impact your credibility if you are trying to be authoritative or convincing. If you're a poor speller, and want to be taken seriously, I'd recommend possibly using Word or other program's spell-check features to help, if you want to be sure. People really need to get off the grammar-nazi train though...but yes, posting in IM'ese or text-speak is against the T&C....

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Elepheagle

m brother is a computer mag editor and we have had the same convo i uderstand just hat ewhen the whole posters WELL post is held in regards to their spelling i do see your pain as a proffesionsl i truly do it bothers him as well but i do notice you had more to say then just spelling wich is my entire point

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
This is what I do, If I read a post, and find it too confusing, I just move on, instead of insulting the OP.

But I wonder, why my Daughter can spell so good compared to some here on ATS, and she is only 10 years old, I think it's because she takes a real interest in reading.

I help people at work spell words all the time, this "Spelling" problem is not isolated to ATS.

Just my 2 cents worth

Peace

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by triplescorpio

C'mon folks, just use your spell checker, its not that hard and it never, ever makes mistakes.

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

Spell Checker Poem

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I think spell checkers should be banned. They are of the Devil for they help to mask the tell tale signs of the vapid, insipid, intellectually disinterested, vacant, and the daft.

Well, at least for a minute.

~Heff

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

true thats why i would rather be wrong then fake right on

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
HEY ATS CAN YOU SPELL SHOW ME YOUR ORST ERRORS (yes i am an english major this is my release)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by triplescorpio

i will scan my degree if nes a ma sary do you get where or who i am i just thought it woudnt be like this in THEEND two words one part (no sense).

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Go to school.

Learn some Engrish.

Then post again. It's ok to have knowledge about the English language and actually be able to communicate a coherent thought.

We'll all be here waiting for you. Off you go. Go learn some Engrish.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

AS TO QOUTE THE GREAT HOMER (simpson) pho eh net tic aly) lol good luck YO (lol)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

true it is international BAD ON ME FOR THAT

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join