It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US drones used in Mexican drug war

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

US drones used in Mexican drug war

www.smh.com.au

WASHINGTON: Stepping up its involvement in Mexico's drug war, the Obama administration has begun secretly sending drones deep into Mexican territory to gather intelligence that helps locate drug traffickers and follow their networks, US and Mexican officials said.

The Pentagon began flying high-altitude, unarmed drones over Mexican skies last month
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Another quote from the story reads

In addition to expanding the use of drones, the two leaders agreed to open a counter-narcotics ''fusion'' centre, the second such facility in Mexico, where Mexican and American agencies would work together, the officials said.

Now when the story started off by saying Secret Drone Missions flowen into Mexico....obviously they meant secret from the American public because this story never made it to the US press...

As always to find out where and what our (US) government is up to I had to seek outside sources and thankfully7 the good people in Sydney had the courage to ask and report on this near and dear to my heart story...

www.smh.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 16-3-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

It was a top story on Yahoo's front page.

So Americans are getting the story, but most don't care.

I'm willing to bet within three years, we will end up having troops deploy to Mexico and most Americans still won't have a clue to whats going on around them.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Well maybe not troops..
but we already have ICE and DHS and FBI agents down there... Plus the new OBI (Office of Bi-National intelligence) in Mexico City and soon to be a second... these are Americans who were Given Authority over the Mexican Military... at least for the purposes of this so called drug war

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
The Italians didn't need drones when they decided to take on the Sicilian mafia. This is the U.S. wasting money yet again. Sometimes good ol' fashion police work works best.

The most effective plan was when the Mexican military (trained by the U.S. so don't bash them) entered the game and made some serious progress with taking Los Zeta and a few others out. Any remember when the gangs were calling truce? That should've been a good time go in full force and take as many as you can out.

I don't believe in violence but in this case, I hope they (drug dealers) all get shot for terrorizing Mexico.

P.S. from a conspiratorial standpoint, first Afghanistan, now Mexico, later the U.S.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by DevilJin

Last I checked the Mafia wasn't using tens of thousands of mercenaries, many formerly trained in special operations, armed with high end assault rifles, anti material rifles, machine guns, and technicals.

Fighting the cartels is like fighting the Taliban.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

Last I checked the Mafia wasn't using tens of thousands of mercenaries, many formerly trained in special operations, armed with high end assault rifles, anti material rifles, machine guns, and technicals.

Fighting the cartels is like fighting the Taliban.

I'd like some sources for your comment because it is very sensational. I assumed only Los Zetas were militarized, while La Familia and the others weren't. Los Zetas has taken huge hits including lost of their leader (Nazario?) who was shot dead by the Mexican military. Los Zetas is the only group I've heard who has the military experience, weapons and work like mercenaries for the others.

The Mexican military, like I said, has done a pretty good job so far so why quit now?

Fighting the cartels is not like fighting the Taliban at all. That's two different animals there.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

The cartels use those weapons and more, including various explosives and as of last year, vehicle born IEDs.

They conduct terrorism against civilians, government, and law enforcement.

In terms of lethality, they are actually worse than the Taliban. It is more dangerous to be a soldier or police officer in Mexico than it is in Afghanistan.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Taken from wiki

Los Zetas Cartel is a criminal organization in Mexico dedicated mostly to international illegal drug trade, assassinations, and other organized crime activities. This drug cartel was founded by a small group of Mexican Army Special Forces deserters and now includes corrupt former federal, state, and local police officers, as well as ex-Kaibiles from Guatemala.

This group of highly trained gunmen was first hired as a private mercenary army for Mexico's Gulf Cartel. Since the arrest of the Gulf Cartel's leader, Osiel Cárdenas Guillen, as well as other events, the two entities became a combined trafficking force, with the Zetas taking a more active leadership role in drug trafficking.[2][3][4][5] Since February 2010 Los Zetas have gone independent and became enemies of its former employer/partner, the Gulf Cartel.

Los Zetas are led by Heriberto "El Lazca" Lazcano and are considered by the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) as probably being the most violent paramilitary enforcement group in Mexico.[6][7] Los Zetas have expanded their operations to Italy with the 'Ndrangheta.[8]

there expanding from not importing to

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

The cartels have also established bases in West Africa.

They have also taken over entire areas of Guatemala, similar to what FARC did in the past in Colombia.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I think it would be way more cost effective to train giant squids and sharks to patrol the waters and go after the drugs. A simple mounted camera on those things along with some electronics to keep their brainds doing what we want them to do and those drug dealers would not have a chance.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

The cartels use those weapons and more, including various explosives and as of last year, vehicle born IEDs.

They conduct terrorism against civilians, government, and law enforcement.

In terms of lethality, they are actually worse than the Taliban. It is more dangerous to be a soldier or police officer in Mexico than it is in Afghanistan.

So true, Juarez, Mexico from what I've read in several newspapers is said to be beating out every other city in the world in deaths due to the war on drugs. It's god awful down there.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
The drones are probably being flown out of Biggs Army Airfield Ft Bliss, that's where the El Paso Intelligence Center (EPIC) is located.

Very close and very convenient.
edit on 17-3-2011 by bg_socalif because: fat fingering the keyboard again!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Thank God we are finally taking action against these drug cartels. To many families have been killed for simply crossing the boarder for vacation.

Obama gets a

new topics

top topics

join