It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you get teased about liking conspiracies and being on ATS?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I know a lot of awful things are happening in the world now, and those of you who keep us informed, well Thanks.

I just thought I would maybe try to help get our minds off some of the bad for a few minutes, if that’s OK. This is my first thread.

I’ve been wondering lately if you all get jokes directed at you because you like ATS and conspiracy stuff. Here at my house, I’m the only one with a tin foil hat. For example: a couple of weekends ago, we were going to grill out and my boyfriend said "we’re out of foil". I told him that there was some in the pantry. He said “Oh, I was going to check by the computer, I figured you kept some extra there.” Oh and a couple of months ago, he actually made me a tin foil beanie. (And he wonders why we ran out of foil)
Lots of times if I make any comment about the news or some current event, he asks if I heard that from Above top Secret. He says it sarcastically of course.

Most of the time I just laugh it off, but sometimes it’s not so funny. So I was wondering if you all get the jokes too and if maybe one tin-foil hat per household is enough?

Thank you for your time.

Maybee

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Fortunately, my husband and I are both members.
We both joke about some of the stuff here, of course, but when he hasn't been on for a while, he asks me what's going on on ATS so he can be brought up to speed.

My sister and a few friends know about my addiction, but they don't give me a hard time. They have silly addictions of their own.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
In the past week or so i have had people thank me for sharing links via Facebook and for keeping them in the know. Some of my closer friends are turning to me for answers more and more even tho i dont have them.

I just suggest they research there ?'s so they can find there own meaningful answers.
I think everyone who is "conspiracy theorist" are getting the same results. ATS has basically become my main source of info as members are so fast to report the newest storys! Great work everyone.
edit on 16-3-2011 by RRstl1000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Nobody knows what I'm doing. Or do they........

My alias has an alias!!!
edit on 16-3-2011 by ImmortalIntegrity because: must clarify

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by maybee

Its ok , it may not be funny to you but just tease him back for being one of the sheeple,

Whats the worst that can happen if the conspiracies are wrong?

Nothing.

Whats the worst that can happen if they are right,?

Well he wont be laughing then will he, he will be saying , What should we do? Please go on to ATS and get some REAL answers.

Thats my "2 cents" as you say, sorry this isnt really helpful : )

Peace

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by maybee
He said “Oh, I was going to check by the computer, I figured you kept some extra there.” Oh and a couple of months ago, he actually made me a tin foil beanie. (And he wonders why we ran out of foil)
Both of those, I did find to be pretty dang amusing lol.

Originally posted by maybee Lots of times if I make any comment about the news or some current event, he asks if I heard that from Above top Secret. He says it sarcastically of course.
Most of the time I just laugh it off, but sometimes it’s not so funny.

As far as this goes, he obviously hasn't actually read much on ATS. Of course there are some wild and crazy ideas, and occasionally some false breaking news reports.

More importantly, there are often, at least from what I have seen, breaking news reports that are on here before it becomes general knowledge of the average public because of the MSM. Also, there are some news reports that should be breaking but are not promoted by the MSM's. Just show him some of those examples, and let him know that maybe some of it is based on a fairy-tale type of imagination, and you realize this, but there are many important subjects being discussed too.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I don't get teased, but my girlfriends ex and her family (they're close friends even with her out of the picture) have problems with my conspiracy and mainstream avoidant ways. In fact, he told her everything I believe was wrong because "scientists wouldn't be able to agree long enough to keep a secret or conspiracy".

I thought that was pretty funny, I think it was a ploy to discredit me so he can move back into her life.

She was skeptical at first, but the girls coming 'round to some alternative views and my friends enjoy my take on things since they only follow run of the mill sources or don't research what they talk about.

link   
reply to post by maybee

Stagged! (Star and Flagged)

A cool topic for your first thread. I have to say I do get a bit of abuse from my various family members, particularly my older brother. He's convinced he is the smartest man on the planet, so when he hears something outside of the box, he ridicules it, particularly if he didn't discover it himself.

What I find hilarious is when I mention something, everyone laughs, then slowly slowly the reality of it creeps through into their lives. Then all of a sudden it's "OMG this is outrageous, how did this happen, how did it get to this point? It just came out of nowhere!" Nothing prophetic of course, just a bit of common sense combined with alternative news material.

We had a great argument one night about Iran and Israel. My brother sensing he was losing the argument walked out of the room saying "well at least Israel doesn't have a nuclear weapons program!"

edit on 16-3-2011 by Big Raging Loner because: Too many smilies.

link   
reply to post by maybee

I used to. However, as I learned how to sift between garbage and genuine data, I began to be able to tell the story of what I am seeing better. This helps me come across as more credible and less OMGZ!!!
You'd be surprised how positively people react when you can explain a bit of conspiracy information in a rational, news-like manner.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Everyone I know has already had to come to grips with the fact that I am their intellectual superior, with the exception of a precious few, and therefore take everything I say to be gospel. I tell everyone I can about this forum as I believe it to be a superior source of breaking news from untainted sources and stimulating discussion.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner

"well at least Israel doesn't have a nuclear weapons program!"

I almost spit my soda out while reading that lmao.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Most of my Family jokes about me being like Charlie Frost (from 2012) but with less pickles. It's all in fun though.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I do mention conspiracies as they come up in conversation. I also mention the Denver Airport Conspiracy a lot since I live about 10 minutes from the airport. Everyone pretty much thinks I'm insane. I hope one day I'll be able to say "I told you so."
It's not that I'm overly into conspiracies. I just don't go along with what the government tells us. I question things that happen. I like coming to this site for other opinions about events. Plus it's a good place to talk about these things without getting made fun of! Most of the time...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I am pretty sure alot teasing goes on behind my back. It doesnt matter though, most of them know I think they are ridiculous for not thinking there has to be more than meets the eye.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by maybee

I’ve been wondering lately if you all get jokes directed at you because you like ATS and conspiracy stuff.

All the time by friends, all in good fun though of course. And I do the same to them for there "Crazy Hobbies" too.

In regards to family though, well, put it this way, every family seems to have at least one designated crazy member don't they? In mine... I'm pretty sure he's me!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Thank you all for responding. I will try and make another thread soon. I'm off from work this week and the weather is finally warming up, so I'm going to go outside in a few minutes and mess around in my flower beds. Have a wonderful day (or night) depending where you are in the world. Maybee

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by maybee
Here at my house, I’m the only one with a tin foil hat.

The only thought that I have to offer is that it would be good if you did not think that thought of yourself or use that expression to others to describe yourself. The expression "tin foil hat" is a derogatory one coined to discredit people who are not going along with establishment. Why help the establishment by using the expression yourself?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
One of the first things I did when I met my now girlfriend was let her know that I was not only a conspiracy theorist (which is hardcore considering how much I was interested in her life and the level of conspiracy I tend to) but a Mod on ATS...We just celebrated our 6 month 'anniversary' of our first date.

I consider myself very lucky to have met such a wonderful and understanding woman..

There is plenty on ATS that is BS in my opinion but real time interactive news hasn't been done better elsewhere in my opinion...all of my other family/friends can't even come close to my level of awareness regarding current events and many of them have converted to ATS...in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Obviously the come-backs should focus on the fact that people who think ATS is for crazy people are embarrassingly ignorant sheep ready for the slaughter.

Example:
"Oh the government is Santa Clause and only does good(said sarcastically).... I never read ATS so I don't know any different... Oh here Uncle Sam take all my money please just protect me from the bad people masta! Oh protect me (hands throwing your money out of your pockets showing money leaving your pockets) masta... protect me from the bad people masta! Here, take my friends money too masta! (reaching for the nearest person's pocket) And my neighbors money! I swear he's got more than I do! (reaching for the next person)" Of course you are to really drive the point home when you go for your friends & neighbor's pockets for the full comedy effect.

So that would be a typical fighting response! Obviously there is potential for great comedy effect but if you've got none inside of you the good old pointy verbal jab is just as well.

You can finish off with an entirely serious line (or start with it if you aren't one for comedy): "There are some people know know the government lies. People who know the government lies also know ATS is the best place to help figure out when they are lying." Its really sad to waste such opportunity of course for comedy effect because its a valuable tool for all social situations and also because comedy is funny.

When I bring ATS up for the first time I mention I do so for entertainment. Which of course is true! I also mention every now and then you find a really amazing true story. I have yet to admit its actually my primary news outlet however!

But, if it bothers you to be teased about it then you clearly need to learn how to handle it. Its the classic fight or flight thing and you have to treat it more or less like bullying (though its obviously a lot less serious!). The only flight option I suppose would be to tell them you have no idea what they are talking about and are mistaken about something. Or of course you could avoid mentioning it to some degree. I suppose I choose flight some of the time by not mentioning ATS at all.

Then there is the fight option. Obviously you'll need to use this with your own family who of course should you should in fact be sharing that it is one of your favorite websites. Even if your family gives you a hard time about it! So I think it was a good idea to bring up ATS for sure with them. So, how do you use the fight option to fight off teasing:
1. You have to either accept or reject ATS. If you accept it, then be proud of it. Often wonder why it is other people don't have it on their favorites list.
2. Tease them back about how they have rejected ATS! Needless to say, the come-backs are absolutely endless and hilarious... though if you have no comedy inside of you whatsoever it doesn't matter! The come-backs are still endless!

edit on 16-3-2011 by civilchallenger because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-3-2011 by civilchallenger because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
funny, I just replied to a similar thread, I wont put it all here cos it's quite long but here is a link to it.

in short, yep, a lot.

Although I am still going to plug away at it in as non conspiratorial way as possible, I think that's very important in getting it across without it becoming a joke. and I do think people should know whats actually going on.

anyway my response to getting the p**s ripped is to rip back, baaaa baaaaaaaa

I sometimes think we will all end up like the conspiracy nut's in the movies who are proved right in the end though...that always makes me smile

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join