It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aerogel. Possible medium for radiation containment?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Could such aerogels, be implemented for alpha, beta and neutron capture?
Perhaps a boron enriched gel could be manifest to aid in limiting fission?
As I've heard, they are also excellent barriers to thermal transfer.

What do you think?

edit on 3/16/2011 by abecedarian because: idea copyright abecedarian, 0610 PDT, March 16, 2011

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by abecedarian

What do you think?
The last thing they want now is a barrier to thermal transfer, the want to increase thermal transfer, not reduce it, that's why they're pumping in seawater to try to keep the reactors cool.

Also water is a fairly decent neutron absorber, but I honestly have no idea what the neuron absorbing properties of aerogel are though I know it has low density which in general is not a good characteristic for an effective neutron barrier, but it might make a thermal barrier as you suggest, but that's not what's needed in Japan.

If the containment vessels weren't leaking I'd think they might have better luck mixing in neutron absorbers in the water, but since at least some appear to be leaking, they have to keep replenishing the seawater which would dilute the concentration.

What made you think of Aerogel? Have you read about it being used in some nuclear applications?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Originally posted by abecedarian

What do you think?
The last thing they want now is a barrier to thermal transfer, the want to increase thermal transfer, not reduce it, that's why they're pumping in seawater to try to keep the reactors cool.

Also water is a fairly decent neutron absorber, but I honestly have no idea what the neuron absorbing properties of aerogel are though I know it has low density which in general is not a good characteristic for an effective neutron barrier, but it might make a thermal barrier as you suggest, but that's not what's needed in Japan.

If the containment vessels weren't leaking I'd think they might have better luck mixing in neutron absorbers in the water, but since at least some appear to be leaking, they have to keep replenishing the seawater which would dilute the concentration.

What made you think of Aerogel? Have you read about it being used in some nuclear applications?

What I was thinking was something along the lines of an aerogel "shell" or such, around the core(s).
Though I get that trapping heat is counter-intuitive, keeping the radiation out of the air is not.
Boron is used in many control rods within nuclear reactors, both boiling and pressurized type.
To have a way to fuse the two ... (no pun intended) ... okay. There are aluminum based aerogels so why not boron as it's above aluminum in the table of elements? It should have similar chemical properties (boron vs aluminum), no? And as it's a good neutron sink (receiver), could help mitigate at least some radiation, possibly even slowing reactions down.

edit on 3/16/2011 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

The containment vessels are built for containment (to help minimize radiation leakage in the event of a partial meltdown.

If the containment hasn't failed, I don't think an additional shell is needed. If the containment HAS failed, I don't think aerogel is the best containment alternative.

If you wanted to get boron in there I'd mix it in the water, but if it's leaking badly that won't really help, you probably can't add boron as fast as the seawater.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

I understand the containment structures in place during construction, but what if there was a way to inject a foam, on top of a breach, to contain radiation leakage and assist in keeping thermal radiation within the structure so it could be dealt with by sprayed / evaporative cooling?

Hey! I'm just thinking out of the box here.... and hoping to cash in on my public thoughts by claiming copyright on printed materials.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I just came across this:
Organic Rubber Aerogel as Thermal Insulation and Radiation Shield

So... umm... NASA has already considered it for space vehicles.
No one is considering it as a tool for terrestrial nuclear incidents?

top topics

join