It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*UPDATE* Jim Berkland (Geologist), W Coast Quake window starts March 19 2011 *ATS Experiment Added*

page: 30
<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
PLEASE READ THIS***

I know that Newsweek got blasted this morning from Yahoo News for the article they published which indicated or suggested that one large quake can trigger another across the length of tectonic plates, however you should all know that there is more to the story. I'm sure many of you believe that the words I'm writing are not factual, and I hope that you would always challenge each other, but I can tell you with certainty that the USGS is concerned right now of the affects the 9.0 Japan quake will have in the near future on the Pacific Plate, specifically in one area.

The Salton Sea upwards towards San Bernardino, and I stress that this is MUCH more of an "at risk" area for the USGS in Pasadena. Recent activity to the South, just across the Mexican boarder, has had many geologist on edge. I have specific information indicating that a "major seismic event is imminent" and that "human and structural loss would exceed the current capabilities of both Federal and State emergency services". The inside information that I have indicates a major event that is imminent. In geology terms, that translates to "within weeks". I also want to stress that the USGS is specifically concerned with something called ground acceleration, or the force at which the ground physically shakes. The expected "PGA" or "PHA" is off the charts, which many geologists are saying could "potentially trigger additional significant seismic activity on faults within the region". This supports the theory of a major "cluster-quake" event that, within a few hours, could generate multiple earthquakes measuring in excess of 6.5+ on various faults within a very small region. It's basically, "the mother of all seismic events". Imagine the "big one" (8.0) followed by Northridge (6.7), followed by Landers (7.2), followed by an LA Basin quake (capable of generating a 7.0 earthquake under the most densely populated portion of the city), and so on and so on and so on. The theory of the "cluster-quake" is that the seismic event could last for "days".

I cannot say the source of the quotes, but the most telling one was "this is a seismic event of biblical proportions".

I'm saying this because I want people to prepare, now. If you live in Southern California and have experienced earthquakes, as I have over 20 years, throw out all that you experienced. This earthquake will be nothing like the one's you have been through before. I know this first hand. I lived in Northridge during the 94 quake and remain living in the San Fernando Valley to this day. I'm urging everyone to be prepared for at least three days, but more importantly, HAVE A PLAN. If you have family members in the area, please make sure you have meeting places, and backup meeting places for those places. And I have to get this across, it's not a matter of IF, it's a matter of WHEN. Apparently that time is approaching.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jalosangeles

thank you your post is surely a blessing to many of us here at ATS. Take care out there!

i would like to add... here in the valley floor of northern california we have had several days of light rumbles or what feels like a 18 wheeler driving down your street and you can feel the vibration. Ive stopped a few times to listen ...and just gone about my business figuring it was just a car passing by... but standing in the front yard near the street i could actually feel it again.. i have been on the USGS site for days since march 11 and havent seen any small earthquakes close enough to be felt where i am located. I am wondering if anyone else has felt these same tiny vibrations of the earth. I asked my wife about this and she said her boss felt the same things i felt ... she hasnt noticed them so much as i have but she did stop and listen once when i told her to and she thought it was a truck. We dont get alot trucks around these parts at that hour... and not nearly that often as i have heard/felt this rumble. Any thoughts from the ATS community would be greatly apreciated. I think maybe the fact that i have been listening to the earth and watching what she does next has made me sensitive to even the thought of a quake. It may be just wearing me down. I hope thats all it is. just stress.

edit on 22-3-2011 by gloomyblue707 because: felt like i should add for the experiment.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Brief small snapshot of a small chain of quakes around 5:05pm PST on March 22nd

California
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/36db74b2912d.jpg[/atsimg]

SoCal & MidCal
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/252bf8b8b53a.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 3/22/2011 by JohnnyAnonymous because: Typos

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I live in Sun Valley, Ca. and I am just scared rightnow.. ive been feeling tiny rumbles as well..and when i mentioned this to my mom, she told me earlier that day which was the 18th she thought she felt a little earthquake...

idk what to do at this point.. i have so much information and what not but i just cant bring myself around the idea that my home might be destroyed in the next week or so. I live right next to the bob hope airport...does anyone know if where the airport is located might be a somewhat safe zone.

i know it sounds crazy.. i just need some hope..

i have a 4mth old baby and i'm in tears rightnow knowing that he could possibly be in danger.

im freaking out guys...someone just HELP.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Please, I urge you not to panic. These events are incredibly survivable, incredibly manageable. You have to start thinking in terms of preparation. I guarantee that if you are prepared, you will avoid the stresses that are upon you now. My house is less than a quarter mile away from the fault that ruptured in 1994 and although there was damage, I own the same house to this day. There is no need to flee or to worry about things you cannot control, but you can control being prepared. Simply put, if you have the basics, you'll be absolutely fine. The events that will eventually occur, whether that be within weeks or years, will not affect you if you are prepared. AND I want to stress, there is NO fault line in Southern California capable of producing a 9.0 earthquake, such as that in Japan. Furthermore, there are no faults offshore capable of producing a Tsunami. So, in short, be prepared but do NOT panic and don't spend time worrying. I promise, you'll be okay.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Deezy

calm down and take a deep breath... maybe a couple deep breaths... for your kid you are gonna need to remain calm and be fearless! i have a daughter who is only two years old and just seeing the japan nuclear disaster knowing the babies will be effected most brought me to tears. All you can do is be ready ...have enough food for a few days and be sure to double that in water. Know your way out of your house and have multiple exits... you will be alot safer in the instance of an earthquake if you remail calm and understand what is happening and figure out how to best get through without injury. Good luck , and just stay informed ... everyone is really on edge out here on the west coast and rightfully so after seeing the destruction that devastated Japan.No one believes that crap about theres not gonna be an earthquake here after all... everyone knows there will be just dont know when...it could be years away. I had to tell myself to stay calm... even had to take a couple big draws of smoke to ease the rattled nerves. Staying strong for an entire family is no easy task...i assure you...

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deezy
i have a 4mth old baby and i'm in tears rightnow knowing that he could possibly be in danger.

I was born and bred in SOCA. I heard all my life the Big One is coming. That would be 64 years worth.

You can not stop living your life because a natural or accidental disaster might occur. Hey! A plane could fall on your house. Its happened.

"Be aware - be prepared". Most injuries from earthquakes are falling objects. Examine your home. Where is the strongest support structure not near a window (or falling/thrown) objects.

Have plenty of bottled water - - and food for - - I'd say at least 3 weeks. And whatever your baby will need.

I'm Nanny to my 3 year old grandson - - so I do understand your fear and concern in that area.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
A brief Snapshot of a around 5:45pm PST of the California/Nevada area on March 22nd (do not be confused by the UTC date it still March 22nd)

USA total
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/24bccb93a38a.jpg[/atsimg]

California/Nevada
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8f1d468b1de8.jpg[/atsimg]

Nevada Info
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cd3df4b71f04.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 3/22/2011 by JohnnyAnonymous because: Typos

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Hmmm,.
I always have to be skeptical of those that make predictions
Or claim to know inside information..
Now,. we had someone have a dream of this Japan magnitude and it
came to be,. but it is very few and far in between when someone sticks
a "vision" or is telling the truth when it comes to things like this.
Jim Berkland has credentials,.and has made statements to suggest something
will happen within a few days,. or this could be just nothing but the norm of
usual activity.
for the sake of those on the coast,. I hope this is not going to happen
But I do thank you for your input.
If you would, elaborate more on your sources

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deezy
im freaking out guys...someone just HELP.

First off..

Just because we are conducting this small experiment in relation to an prediction, is by no means an endorsement that we believe that an earthquake will happen. We are simply gathering data and posting up snapshot's of the everyday earthquake's that happen all the time. There is no need for a panic attack. Earthquakes happen all the time, and we are surrounded by them. None of these Earthquakes here in the Northwest have caused any reported damage because they are quite small.

There are a number of people whose fears are heightened because of the events that recently happened in Japan. Do not let these fears overtake your life and your normal daily routines. If you do not already have some sense of what to do in case there is an earthquake in your area, there are plenty of websites that can help you to determine what is best for getting prepared. For those of us that live here in the Northwest, earthquakes are a part of our life, how we respond to one (if one happens), is what is important.

Here are a few links to better prepare yourself in case of an Earthquake (or if you live in an area where Earthquakes occur).

PREPARE by the USGS
How To Prepare For An Earthquake
Dare To Prepare

There is an excellent free downloadable PDF entitled "Putting Down Roots in Earthquake Country" which is available HERE produced by the USGS and the Earthquake Alliance. It is also available to be read online if you do not have a PDF reader HERE

The above will be a good starting point if your unfamiliar with what to do before an earthquake.. Most of all.. STAY CALM and don't panic.

edit on 3/22/2011 by JohnnyAnonymous because: Typos and additional links

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Deezy

Do you have a window that affords you a nice view? If so, you may want to try moving a comfortable seat over to that window, & sitting with your baby, watching the rain if you have it right now, or the sunset, if you have a window facing West with a view of the sky.
Spending time reading the posts in a thread like this can be upsetting; so many doomsayers speak their piece sounding so knowledgeable & authoritative, it's hard not to start feeling that there's something to it all.
In reality, it's no more or less dangerous to be living where you are than it was months ago.

I agree, preparation for the aftermath of a 'quake goes a long way toward making you feel a bit more secure, but I also find that getting away from the computer to enjoy a bit of the quiet beauty out there is reassuring. It's all still there, but we often get too busy to let it sink in & do its magic to heal us.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
And people say, "What's the problem? It's only a prediction."
It's called fear mongering and there's the problem.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Thanks for the warning. Where's your proof? The word of an inside source is no good here. Fear mongering for the sake of fear mongering is just wrong.

As they say at GLP,

No linky

You stinky!

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I'm asking you this cause you seem to be the most sceptic
I was looking at the usgs site, becuase Johnny is always posting them and I just wondered if you knew if 56, 3.3 and below, mostly concentrated around the same area is normal for CA in one day.

I was reading a post in another area where a guy say (not that that means its true) but he say a friend of his from usgs in Mexico I think, warned him that the federal gov is concern about multible quakes from san bernardino down to baja, so bad they gov couldnt handle it. Ill see if i can copy it for you.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

ok this really scared me, seriously if those people know something awful is about to happen, they need to announce it, they could save millions of people including me,my fam, friends and i dont wanna sound harsh or anything but there's some hollywood stars i wouldnt like to see dead...

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by mesle123

It is not unusual.
In 2009 there were 47 days with 56 or more. 76 days with 50 or more. The average for the year was 43 per day.

www.data.scec.org...

edit on 3/22/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Your so smart
I knew u would know. I kept trying to figure that stupid data thing out; but frankly I didn't feel like.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Statistically most people involved in a large earthquake live.

Personally, I've been through a few in my life, and only lost a few trinkets.

In the event of a much larger quake, I would run out of the house or my office, I do have the advantage that everything I mentioned is one story high. That is what I would do. Of course looking out for falling trees and other tall objects.

People need to calm down. California is not going to fall into the ocean. But you can make sure you don't have things above your bed that could fall on you and do not find shelter below windows and furniture. You will have time to get to safety. (well most all will) AND you can make sure you have a few weeks worth of food and water.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

JLo, please keep sharing as info comes.

And thanks for sharing.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I couldn't agree more with your posts of being prepared. And, I absolutely agree that predictions and inducing fear is not right. I want to clarify that the information provided is a "scenario" and you can actually google the salton sea and geologists and find the very same information I'm describing above. NOTHING is official and the source I have is a geologist, but not a popular one by any means, but, he knows way more than me and this is the info provided.

Here are some links to investigate:

geology.com...

articles.latimes.com...

They have also found that a delay in water pressure due to the hoover dam has possibly contributed to it's lack of movement, which is not good in earthquake country. You actually WANT earthquakes to happen with more frequency so that stress is relieved. In this case, the fault is a century beyond it's normal "breaking point", which is cause for concern.

Again, please just prepare, don't panic. I hope that we are still having these same discussions for many many years to come, in which case nothing major would have happened.

new topics

top topics

<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join