It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Killer Pancreatic Cancer Stems From Drinking Without Smoke

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Killer Pancreatic Cancer Stems From Drinking Without Smoke

www.medicalnewstoday.com

Smoking causes cancer. We know this. However, if you are a heavy drinker and actually pass on those tobacco smoke cravings that often come with a few cocktails, you still have a 36% higher risk of dying from cancer of the pancreas.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Isnt this ironic....
smoking saves drinkers lives lol

www.medicalnewstoday.com
edit on 16-3-2011 by TheAmused because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Didn't help Patrick Swayze, he was a big time smoker.

But hey, this is why bars need to allow smoking. They are killing us otherwise!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pastafarian
Didn't help Patrick Swayze, he was a big time smoker.

But hey, this is why bars need to allow smoking. They are killing us otherwise!

Thats what i was wondering...
It would seem illegal if they force us not to have the choice to smoke while drinking ...cause it causes cancer.
Might hold up in court too.

This could be a big subject for smokers rights.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Very interesting. Tobacco is a natural plant that God put on this earth for us. Doesn't surprise me that it has some benefits. Emphasis on some.

I think the stat is misleading though. 36% less likely than non-smoking heavy drinkers, or than normal healthy people?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
So why the push to make THC legal and nicotine illegal?
I could argue the former affects judgment and reaction times far more than the latter.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
i wonder if its only tobacco..

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
It seems to me that no matter what we do in this day and age it somehow will have a study that is linked to it that either says it will cause cancer or reduce the risks of cancer. Also, these studies tend to go back and forth weekly. One day butter is good for you then the next its like you might as well prepare for the inevitable heart attack tomarrow. So much for science giving us all the facts because it seems to me that most "science" now a days has become political and industrial, backing whomevers (industry or otherwise) policy is doing the funding at the time.

Just use common sense, to much or to little of anything will have an effect on the body. Also, we all die and there is no avoiding it. You can pop all the fish oil pills you want to and still end up with stomach cancer like the rest of us.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I can believe it, tobacco by itself has been used by indiginous folks since the dawn of time for healing rituals, and shamanic healing practices.

Originally posted by abecedarian
I could argue the former affects judgment and reaction times far more than the latter.

I could argue the opposite, that cannabis does neither of those things, just not on this website.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRealJayZ
Very interesting. Tobacco is a natural plant that God put on this earth for us. Doesn't surprise me that it has some benefits. Emphasis on some.

I think the stat is misleading though. 36% less likely than non-smoking heavy drinkers, or than normal healthy people?

But if you abuse it or become a glutton of whatever (insert ETOH, money, pot, ....) this vice will ruin you. Anything in excess can ruin you.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I think genetics play a huge roll in all diseases

Predisposition, over time, will be the main trigger

It is hard to accept this idea, as it is one people cannot beat

Generations of your fore fathers have battled many things, some coming out gentically healthier than others

Many are forced to carry on these degenerations and will bare the horrors that comprise them

edit on 16-3-2011 by ADUB77 because: spelleeng

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRealJayZ

That is so 30% of the story
There are over a thousand other chemicals in cigarettes other than tobacco

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I read the article twice, and didn't see any stats in there that said smoking helps the risk go down.
You do NOT get any protection from smoking!

If you're a smoker, the chances of getting lung cancer are much higher than getting pancreatic cancer. In absolute terms, your risk of developing liver cancer and cirrhosis [from drinking] are going to be higher than pancreatic cancer."

Smoker = lung cancer risk is higher than pancreatic cancer

if you are a heavy drinker and actually pass on those tobacco smoke cravings that often come with a few cocktails, you still have a 36% higher risk of dying from cancer of the pancreas.

You STILL have a higher risk from pancreatic cancer EVEN if you pass on the smokes.

"In this large, prospective study, we were able to examine the association between alcohol intake and pancreatic cancer mortality in never-smokers, and across range of daily intake. This association appeared to be only with liquor intake, and not with beer or wine intake.

Overall, these findings add to the evidence that heavy alcohol intake is an independent risk factor for pancreatic cancer.

The study was related to cancer from alcohol, that's why non-smokers were studied. They didn't study smokers.

Pancreatic cancer has one of the highest fatality rates of all cancers, and is the fourth-highest cancer killer in the United States among both men and women. Although it accounts for only 2.5% of new cases, pancreatic cancer is responsible for 6% of cancer deaths each year.

Drinking can cause cancer all by itself, but not with beer or wine.
edit on 16-3-2011 by snowspirit because:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

Because, due to a plethora of more and more well-publicized information, it's what a lot of voters want.

Any rate, too bad this phenomenon couldn't have saved Bill Hicks.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I think its the chemical more than the tobacco that causes cancer. When tobacco was smoke in pure form we didn't have the amount of cancers from smoking - and then cigarettes came along.

I guess I am in trouble as I do smoke but I don't drink.

Not sure about this study - doesn't ring right with me for some reason.

link   

edit on 16-3-2011 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

link   

edit on 16-3-2011 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
IT IS ALL B***S**T!!! Of course, this is just my opinion....

My 77 yr old mom was dx with Pancreatic cancer in July 2010. She has never been a drinker, but has smoked for 50+ years. I do not believe her smoking had a damn thing to do with her getting this!! I believe all the chemicals in what we eat and drink has caused this. Again, IMHO, of course!!

Pancreatic cancer is on the rise. There is ONE very important thing that all of those that get it have been doing for decades - EATING THE FOOD IN GROCERY STORES AND DRINKING THE CRAP IN THE STORES, IN OUR HOMES - INCLUDING WATER!! They have been putting all sorts of crap in our food and drink stuff for decades!!

No wonder this cancer has started to explode!!

Just do the research......search ATS for threads concerning our food/water supply. It is all out there for your viewing pleasure!!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAmused

Isnt this ironic....
smoking saves drinkers lives lol

www.medicalnewstoday.com
edit on 16-3-2011 by TheAmused because: (no reason given)

Where in the article did it say smoking will cut the risk? Or save you from pancreatic cancer?

Smoking causes cancer. We know this. However, if you are a heavy drinker and actually pass on those tobacco smoke cravings that often come with a few cocktails, you still have a 36% higher risk of dying from cancer of the pancreas

If you're a heavy drinker, and don't smoke, you still have a 36% higher risk. Just being a heavy drinker.
It didn't say what the risk is if you do smoke. Just that if you don't, the risk is still there.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by abecedarian

Not sure what kind of legs that argument has underneath it. My reaction times don't necessarily go down, and I would have to say judgment is enhanced. Someone utilizing Cannabis will be even more conservative and safe.

THC has been shown to kill brain cancer cells

Do the actual research on the cost/benefit analysis of Cannabis.

On topic: Smoking chemically laced cigarettes will not improve your health in any way.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join