It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ex Nurse Talked Brit Into Suicide For Web Thrill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Ex Nurse Talked Brit Into Suicide For Web Thrill

news.sky.com

A former US nurse who used internet chat rooms to urge depressed people to kill themselves incited two suicides - including a British man.

William Melchart-Dinkel surfed the internet posing as a depressed woman planning her own death and looking for others who might want to form a suicide pact.

He took part in online chats about suicide with up to 20 people and entered into fake suicide pacts with about 10, five of whom he believed killed themselves.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.bbc.co.uk
www.bbc.co.uk
www.torontosun.com

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
This is a very sick and sad story and I hope this guy feels regret and remorse for the rest of his pathetic life.

But I wonder where they draw the line. These people took their own lives, they were adults and they chose to communicate with this man on the internet. Although what he did was wrong, he didn't actually do anything to these people. I also wonder where they draw the line for charging people of crimes on the internet for typing ideas.

It also shows that what we post on the internet can be held against us in a court of law. Please don't take this as me defending this guy. What he did was immoral and wrong.

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Starred and flagged, hope more see your post.

This is absolutely disgusting and I have very little to say about it all. I hope the person who prayed on the weak get's what's coming to them. (Karma can be a B word!) You do raise some interesting points about what people can/should be charged for online. I feel that if he was looking to actually do harm or make other people do harm to others/themselves, it should be treated as a regular crime.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by BenIndaSun

It also shows that what we post on the internet can be held against us in a court of law.

and why shouldnt it ??????????

too many people now-adays seem to think that the internet ' isnt real ', or ' doesnt count ' , theft , libel , assault [ yes verbal and written attacks are assault under uk law ] incietement , consiracy etc etc are still criminal actions or civil torts and there should be no defence of " it was only on the internert "

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Frontkjemper

This is absolutely disgusting and I have very little to say about it all. I hope the person who prayed on the weak get's what's coming to them. (Karma can be a B word!) You do raise some interesting points about what people can/should be charged for online. I feel that if he was looking to actually do harm or make other people do harm to others/themselves, it should be treated as a regular crime.

I agree. I hope this guy hates living the rest of his life. If he talked to someone in my family or a friend I would want his head on a chopping block. I hope the victim's families feel some closure knowing he will be locked up. That said, there's still the slippery slope and when people become accountable for others actions.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
There will always be people who will seek out those they perceive as weak and feed off them. This person is clearly a highly inadequate individual whose only means of empowerment is to feel some control over the lives of people he deems weaker than himself. It can't be that difficult to talk someone who is suicidal into taking their own life sooner rather than later. I should imagine it is easier than stopping them.

Pitiful really. Imagine being that pathetic? It must be truly awful to be him for that to make him feel better.
edit on 16-3-2011 by BadPenny because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

It also shows that what we post on the internet can be held against us in a court of law.

and why shouldnt it ??????????

too many people now-adays seem to think that the internet ' isnt real ', or ' doesnt count ' , theft , libel , assault [ yes verbal and written attacks are assault under uk law ] incietement , consiracy etc etc are still criminal actions or civil torts and there should be no defence of " it was only on the internert "

I didn't say it shouldn't be. I'm just wondering where they draw the line and how far they will extend it with new laws.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Disgusting... And sad.. That such a thing (can't call a thing like that human..) was a nurse.. Suspect if they went back and check they'd find it abused patients as well..

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
it's like that eposode of C.S.I. where there was a deaf girl that did the same thing. she said that all she did was support them in their decision. thats i sick man either way

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
What about all the other incidents involving people committing suicide on webcam where ppl goaded the person into doing it?
That would be similar to a guy on a bridge or top of a building and having people yell jump, jump, jump.. etc..
should or shouldnt that be illegal?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

i agree that this is sickening and wrong but where will this end, i fell that he played a part in those peoples deaths but was not responsable for there deaths,
so how will the law change to hold people responsable for other peoples actions??

this is an interesting one

s&f

new topics

top topics

join