It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA buzzroom video! Comet Elenin -revised trajectory from .24 AU to .0004AU?! what?!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   

As I wrote earlier comet C/2010 X1 near its perihelion will be perfectly visible in the photographs of outer coronagraph SOHO . As I told Karl Bettems (Karl Battams, Naval Research Laboratory ), scheduled for special surveillance in the 4 different filters. Moreover, the estimated technical feasibility of temporary retargeting the spacecraft STEREO-B at the comet, the entrance of their close approach in late July - early August. Maximum convergence will happen July 31 at 13:00 UT. The distance between the objects will be only 7.4 million km (0.04956 AU). The spacecraft can pass through the dust and ion tails of comets. The second option is a bigger threat to the spacecraft. Let's hope that these observations occur and succeed, and the spacecraft without any problems will continue to further work on the sun-synchronous orbit .

Google Translation of Source: Spaceobs

After some review, this appears to be carelessness and possibly some translation errors. The video title states "less than .0004AU" but the video itself links to people claiming that elenin will pass within .0079 AU of an asteroid. Not earth.

This is probably not the best way to get reliable information.

Absolutely agree with that. As I said that dutchsinse is not exactly adept at checking things he finds and just posts videos without any corroboration of the facts at all. Indeed I sincerely believe that he is not interested in facts, only scaremongering.

The Russian translation seems clear enough to me!

edit on 16/3/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Seems like buzzroom is now offline...

Text from buzzroom.nasa.gov...

"Thank you for your interest in Buzzroom

We're in the process of making Buzzroom better
for our users. We appreciate your patience.
Please check back in the future.

Page Last Updated: March 6th, 2011
Page Editor: JESS3
NASA Official: Beth Beck"
edit on 16-3-2011 by afaik because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   
like others have said, anyone can post "revised" information, but i do believe that nasa is not 100% correct, or near that.

come join our discussion on the major earthquakes in relation to comet elenin here

abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by afaik

seems like they are trying to avoid any suspicion during the alignment of elenin right now... they went down just in time to avoid discussion on it, lets see how long until it's back.. maybe too late...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

That is the distance from stereo A, not from Earth.

Ahh. I see. Thank you for the correction. Updated in previous post.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

Yes, my apologies, I was agreeing with you but I am on a strange computer and it all feels wrong.

In any event I believe we have concluded that the OP (not the poster of) is incorrect. I don't want to shoot the mesenger, at least not the ATS one!!

edit on 16/3/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan

I'm having difficulty finding a reputable source. I'm seeing comments from various web forums stating that the "official story" is that the comet nucleus is no larger than 4 kilometers in diameter.

4km is correct and you can find confirmation by way of an email sent to someone on my Elenin thread.

It is of course an estimate. but it is an estimate made by Leonid Elenin.

And how did Leonid Elenin estimated that diameter when he discovered it? I believe the object has to be followed by several days or weeks to have an ideia of the orbit and by the orbit it should be possible to estimate about diameter and density. Can anyone share that e-mail????

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluedrake

Originally posted by PLASIFISK
reply to post by OccultScience

How close is .0004AU to us? for instance would a .0001AU be skimming our atmosphere? Sorry im not familiar with the AU scale of distance.

Well the moon is 0.00256 AU away from us and that equals 1LD "Lunar distance" = 384,401 km
edit on 16-3-2011 by bluedrake because: (no reason given)

Using 93,000,000 miles = 1 AU (the distance from the sun to the earth), .004AU = 372,000 miles and .0004AU = 37,200 miles.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Jeebus! A four kilometer asteroid is big enough to cause a major extinction event on earth!
I hope the calculations are correct, and that any close passaage between Elenin and any other space debris doesnt alter it course significantly!
Ill be watching to find out you bet yer arse.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

This is probably not the best way to get reliable information.

But, it's on the internet, ATS AND YouTube! So, according to many ATS "researchers:"

IT MUST BE TRUE.

Presenting factual analysis means your are a "paid shill" or a "disinfo agent," a failed to watch the entire video or click the links.

(HOAX)
edit on 16-3-2011 by jdub297 because: hoax parenthetical

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
Jeebus! A four kilometer asteroid is big enough to cause a major extinction event on earth!
I hope the calculations are correct, and that any close passaage between Elenin and any other space debris doesnt alter it course significantly!
Ill be watching to find out you bet yer arse.

Asteroid is one thing, a comet is another.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Well, yes, if there were a collission. But to respond to the inaccurate video title, a 4km object that misses earth by 37,000 miles is unlikely to causes extinctions. But, to address what the misquoted original sources is actually claiming...a 4km object that passes within seven hundred thousands miles of another object that isn't even the earth, is extremely unlikely to cause extinctions on earth.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by PLASIFISK

1 AU = 93 million miles (the distance between the Earth and the Sun).
edit on 16/3/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

No-one knows the exact size of Comet Elenin because they just can't measure it exactly. At present it appears only as a dot, even through a good telescope.

This is because it is both small and far away.

We do know its orbital path and period (by measurement), from which we can get its distance.

Using special telescopes with known optical properties we can make some measurements of how large the dot appears and make some reasonable assumptions (this is the science of Astrometry). Unfortunately the dot is just too small to measure.

Leonid Elenin, the discoverer, estimates that it is about 4 km in diameter, but that is an estimate based on its image brightness, because it is too small for him to resolve with the best equipment that we have.

We know roughly how reflective the average comet is and we can use this average value to figure out how much light it is reflecting our way and therefore what diameter the 'reflector' should be. It isn't an exact science but it confirms all the other estimates & measurements to a high degree.

If Elenin were to have any gravitational effect on us, it would have to be very much larger than observed. It is tiny.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
First off welcome to ATS and congrats on your first post.

I do want to tell you to beware of ExoMatrixTV - That dude has some serious issues with reality. Secondly his video is not accurate at all. .0004 AU is not as close as it sounds. The Moon is .0026 AU from Earth, so yes it is closer to us then the moon, but if you really look at the distance of the Moon from Earth .0004 is not that close either in comparison. Is it enough to pull it into Earth's gravitational field. Yes it's possible. However, again we return to the source. He claims in his statement that the NASA Buzzroom is only accessible to someone with ties to NASA which is not true. I can make an account on there and upload to the Buzzroom. There is no difference between the Buzzroom and Youtube really, so the information in the said video is nowhere near as accurate as he makes it out to be. This is also the same guy that took the Sun Blackout to a new extreme after the explanation was giving on what occurred. There are those who probably swear by him but I honestly do not think he is all that accurate.

As for your other question I have not found an accurate scale for Comet Elenin anywhere. I am not sure if it has been determined I know the tail length is quite long which is a good indicator for the size of the comet itself, but as for the size I am not sure and still cannot find a reliable source on it. Mostly just excitement for the prospects of catching a glimpse from the astronomy forums. hope this helps and once again welcome to ATS S&F for your first post

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by PLASIFISK

How close is .0004AU to us? for instance would a .0001AU be skimming our atmosphere? Sorry im not familiar with the AU scale of distance.

1 Astronomical Unit = 92 955 887.6 mile

.0004AU = 37182.35 miles

.0001AU = 9295.58 miles

There is a mistake some where. It it was that close in everyone would see it with the naked eye and be freaking out I think. Something is not right here.

edit on 3/16/2011 by fixer1967 because: spelling

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoveSoldier
According to the video, Elenin's closest point to us would be in September or October of this year, being ~40 million miles away.

As to how that converts to AU I have no idea but I I hope I helped a bit!

according to JPL's "small body database browser" ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

October 13th-20th is when Elenin will be closest to Earth.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5d46a7239083.png[/atsimg]

Exciting!! lol

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

this video is different from the recent one that discusses the closer approach.This video was posted in the layout frame of the buzzroom, not as user but as NASA information. I watched it there when buzzroom was still online, long before the current discussion.
There is animation how a comet hits the earth, and the words
"Because of the possibility that the comet's orbit slightly deviate from, there is no guarantee the Earth will be missed."

edit on 31-3-2011 by Gliese581 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Gliese581

And NASA has still not spoken like that. (reference to a phrase now edited from the above post)
Why is there no NASA logo if it is produced by NASA?

edit on 3/31/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Gliese581

And NASA has still not spoken like that.
Why is there no NASA logo if it is produced by NASA?

Yes I wonder too, so I edited my post. Anyway, that video was there as of February 24, 2011, here is the link buzzroom.nasa.gov... (not working now) and I believe many people have seen it when it was there. Someone is leaking that info, and NASA until now allowed that info for 1 month to be there, at least. Even if not directly behind the production of the video.

If it was so impossible the comet to hit us, they would have taken it down long before. One does not play with comet impacts everyday.

The current taking down of the buzzroom is even more suspicious. If it was so wrong that information, why not they officially reject it? Now they confirm all worst suspicions. They allow us to know by those leaks - this is my interpretation.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join