It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Hackers Got Access To Half Life 2 Code

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 05:55 AM
link   
supporting website
www.tomshardware.com...

The primary hacker ultimately was located in Germany who admitted hacking into Valve's server but denying the distribution of the code. Investigations are continuing at this time, according to Newell.

original website
www.guardian.co.uk...

Last month, the thieves were arrested in Germany and other undisclosed countries.

Having accessed Valve's server through a security-bypassing loophole in Windows, the hackers were able to download an early and hugely incomplete version of Half-Life 2 and post it on the internet for downloading via Usenet. A boxed version of the code was even on sale on the Ukrainian and Russian black markets.

"Once into our network, hacking tools were installed, and a custom source control client created to extract the Half-Life 2 code,"

These lame ass excuses. They should just release the game already. By the time the game comes out, my hardware would have become obselete. lol

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Don't worry websurfer HL2 is coming out soon. Very very soon. Leaked source code is a very seroius issue that had to be dealt with. I really wish those hackers would just crawl under a rock and die
If they didnt do what they did we would already be addicted to HL2. And probably playing CS2 Alpha or Beta by now...oh well back to Unreal 2k4 and Doom III(yup I got it and it kicks some seroius butt 2)

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Sardion,

Im a hacker (sort of..)

But I dont go and steal game stuff.

so dont tell me to go and die under a rock, the most Ive done is hacked on my home LAN games

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 11:33 PM
link   
i remember when i heard about the theft of the source code. i was like, aww crap now i gotta wait longer. and im still waiting...

top topics

join