It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear emergency warning issued for 10 airspace regions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
www.flightglobal.com...

Concern over a possible radioactive hazard from Japan's damaged Fukushima nuclear power plant has prompted a formal warning from airspace monitors.

London Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre has issued a nuclear emergency message covering 10 flight information regions.

Among them are airspace zones in China, Korea, Russia and the USA.

The emergency message is timed at 03:00UTC on 15 March, and is open-ended.

It identifies the affected flight information regions as Fukuoka - the extensive region which encompasses Japanese airspace - plus Manila, Taibei, Shanghai, Incheon, Pyongyang, Vladivostok, Khabarovsk, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk and Anchorage.

I dont think this has been mentioned yet. I first posted it in this thread. www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is a pretty big area this warning is talking about. This could complicate air travel.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

I wonder what the actual effect of this will be.

For example I know planes won't fly through volcanic ash, they will either fly around it if possible, or cancel the flight, right?

Are these nuclear radiation warnings as serious? Are radiation levels already too high to fly through, or is this just a precautionary measure and the planes will keep flying? The article doesn't clarify that.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

This is the first Ive heard of these warnings. I know there is a no-fly zone above Fukushima reactors, I think in a 30km radius.

Plus a volcano erupted in Japan earlier so there is now a volcanic ash possibility to. (Im not too updated on the volcano, maybe there already is ash? Let us know)

link   
Classically, they handle cases of volcanic eruptions?

Does that also mean a grounding of flights out of Japan?

link   
Thats gotta be the worst news to hear if you're in Japan right now...I'd feel helpless and stuck. Already made its way to Anchorage? Thats scary. I think I'm done listening to the "news" about this whole thing, everything's pretty self explanatory now.

Good luck to all my brothers and sisters.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Plus there is a run on private jets to get out of Japan now to, and the bankers are supposedly fleeing the country.

www.bbc.co.uk...

0816: Prices for private jets have leapt up as thousands of people trying to get out of Japan put in orders, Reuters reports. "I got a request yesterday to fly 14 people from Tokyo to Hong Kong, 5 hour 5 minutes trip. They did not care about price," Reuters quotes Jackie Wu of Hong Kong Jet as saying.

0827: Following that item on the demand for private jets, Reuters is also running a story on the flight of foreign bankers from Tokyo. This despite a denial from the Tokyo-based International Bankers Association that any exodus was under way.

Add this to the flight confusion to- Radiation fears prompt firms to move employees

Foreign firms are evacuating staff in Japan, after fears of radiation leaks at the Fukushima Daiichi plant escalated further.

SAP said it will evacuate offices in Tokyo, Osaka and Nagoya.

Companies are moving to ensure the safety of their staff after an explosion and fire broke out yesterday at the Fukushima Daiichi power plant, about 220km north of the capital.

Dozens of flights to Japan have been halted or rerouted.

Deutsche Lufthansa said it was diverting flights away from Tokyo to Osaka and Nagoya.

Air China cancelled flights to the Japanese capital from Beijing and Shanghai.

The article says some companies are moving people south and others are "business as usual."
edit on 16-3-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   

The World Heath Organisation says there is no evidence of significant international radiation spread from Japan, and that governments and the public should take steps to stop unfounded rumours of radiation spread. by Reuters_MarkKolmar at 2:35 AM

Saw this on the Reuters live update stream not too long ago from a Reuters poster. Wish I knew what they meant by 'significant', but if there's any increase in global radiation levels would be cause for concern I imagine for air travel going towards the area and through the jet streams and such.

I also imagine it would be an issue in that they don't want any of the contamination to spread... I'm sure they would have to spray down anything that left the affected area just to be safe, causing even greater concern and hassle for anybody wanting to leave.

Definitely be on the lookout for any radiation concerns on flight to add to the thread though.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
reply to post by buni11687

I wonder what the actual effect of this will be.

For example I know planes won't fly through volcanic ash, they will either fly around it if possible, or cancel the flight, right?

Are these nuclear radiation warnings as serious? Are radiation levels already too high to fly through, or is this just a precautionary measure and the planes will keep flying? The article doesn't clarify that.

So that it doesn't suck the radioactivity towards anywhere, they want it to settle and fall. They are quarantined pretty much lol

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by shagula

I also imagine it would be an issue in that they don't want any of the contamination to spread... I'm sure they would have to spray down anything that left the affected area just to be safe, causing even greater concern and hassle for anybody wanting to leave.

Somebody posted this earlier on the Reuters site.live.reuters.com...

I am currently on a Japanese bullet train going from Tokyo to Osaka and there are sprayers constantly hosing the train down. Does anyone know if this is an attempt to try to wash any radiation from the train?

People said yes.

They are trying to keep the radiation from spreading via transportation (Planes, Trains so far)

I think people are starting to panic and bug-out.

Didnt someone say awhile ago, "If the rich start bugging out, its about to get worse?"

Edit - If anyone knows anything else about the airspace warning (example -FAA member), or transportation issues, let us know.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Just posted on the Reuters site by someone -

live.reuters.com...

Narita Airport is crowded with many people wanting to leave Tokyo.Expats are more panicky than japanese people.

People are starting to panic.

Edit - From Kyodo- english.kyodonews.jp...

BREAKING NEWS: SDF choppers unable to drop water on reactor due to high radiation (18:11)

Radiation is too high above the reactors to drop water. Im guessing this radiation will spread to other airspace now.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687
They are trying to keep the radiation from spreading via transportation (Planes, Trains so far)

I think people are starting to panic and bug-out.
I don't think much radiation spreads via transportation.

Rather, the transportation vehicles like planes and trains are exposed to radiation, spread by the atmosphere.

They are canceling flights:

news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=Avu5OfFxzTmUO44faRvzvytvaA8F;_ylu=X3o'___'JmOG9iYThnBGFzc2V0A25tLzIwMTEwMzE2L3VzX2phcGFu X3F1YWtlBGNwb3MDMQRwb3MDMgRzZWMDeW5fdG9wX3N0b3J5BHNsawN3b3JrZXJzYnJpZWY-

Scores of flights to Japan have been halted or rerouted, air travelers are avoiding Tokyo for fear of radiation, and on Wednesday both France and Australia urged their nationals in Japan to leave the country.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Its been awhile now and I still have not found much else about this. Ive searched through the London Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre website but didnt find much on there. I also looked up the Air Transport Intelligence website but it seems that you have to pay to get any information out of them.

Has anyone else been able to find any more updates?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Now France has told their citizens to get out.
France says Japan lost control, French should leave

(Reuters) - The French government said on Wednesday that Japan was losing control of the situation at the Fukushima nuclear power plant and urged its nationals in Tokyo to leave the country or head to southern Japan.

Industry Minister Eric Besson said the situation at the Fukushima plant, some 240 km (150 miles) north of Tokyo, appeared to be getting out of control.

"Let's not beat about the bush. They have visibly lost the essential of control (of the situation). That is our analysis, in any case, it's not what they are saying," Besson told BFM television

Turkey warns its citizens against travel to Japan

Reuters) - Turkey's Foreign Ministry warned Turkish citizens on Wednesday against travelling to Japan following the devastating earthquake, tsunami and nuclear disaster there.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Full list of countries with travel warnings to Japan -

uk.news.yahoo.com...

Australia

-- The government said it had decided not to upgrade travel warnings advising Australians to 'reconsider your need to travel' to Japan, based on advice from nuclear safety experts.

Britian

-- Britain's Foreign Office advised against all non-essential travel to Tokyo and the northeast of Japan.

Canada

Canada warned its citizens to avoid all travel within 20 km (12 miles) of the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant, and to avoid non-essential travel to areas of northern Japan that were near the quake and hit by the subsequent tsunami.

China

Air China, the country's flag carrier, has cancelled flights from Beijing and Shanghai to Tokyo on Tuesday afternoon and in the evening, according to the company's website.

Croatia

Croatia recommended that citizens postpone any journeys to Japan. It advised Croatian citizens currently in Japan not to travel to the areas affected by the disaster and to remain in contact with the embassy in Tokyo for further notice.

France

The French embassy in Tokyo urged its citizens in the Japanese capital to stay indoors and close their windows, saying a low-level radioactive wind could reach the city within 10 hours, based on current winds.

Germany

The foreign ministry advised Germans to consider if their travel to the Yokohama/Tokyo region was necessary.

New Zealand

Ministry of Foreign Affairs continues to advise avoiding all non-essential travel to Tokyo and the affected north-east regions.

Philippines

Non-essential embassy personnel and dependents are being sent home, Philippines' ambassador to Tokyo, Manuel Lopez, said in an interview with a local radio station in Manila.

Slovakia

Slovakia has recommended not to travel to affected regions in Japan and delay planned trips to other regions, including Tokyo.

Slovenia

Slovenia has warned its nationals not to travel to Japan unless necessary.

South Korea

The South Korean foreign ministry has issued a travel advisory for Japan. It advised against travel to the Fukushima area and other areas north of Tokyo.

United States

The U.S. State Department urged U.S. citizens to avoid tourism and non-essential travel to Japan at this time and also requests all non-essential official U.S. government personnel defer travel to Japan.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Thailand just released this - BBC -

www.bbc.co.uk...

1219: Thailand's health ministry says that from Thursday it will give free potassium iodide tablets to travellers flying to Tokyo from airports in Bangkok and Phuket, AP reports. The substance protects the thyroid gland against cancer by blocking absorption of radioactive iodine. Supplies in Japan are reportedly already running short.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687

London Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre has issued a nuclear emergency message covering 10 flight information regions.

I don't see how the VAAC would be tasked with issuing any such advisory, and indeed, no such advisory appears to have been issued.

London VAAC advisories

More media sensationalism perhaps ?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by fieldfly

I hope its just media sensenalization. From the looks of the flight global site, it dosent look like they would be trying to get media attention.

At the top of the article is says this

SOURCE:Air Transport Intelligence news

Ive tried to access that site but it requires membership so I cannot tell whats inside that site. Is it possible the London Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre sent their warning via Air Transport Intelligence?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by fieldfly
I don't see how the VAAC would be tasked with issuing any such advisory, and indeed, no such advisory appears to have been issued.

London VAAC advisories

More media sensationalism perhaps ?
They do mention something about tracking nuclear leaks in general on that site:
www.metoffice.gov.uk...

When a volcano in its area of responsibility erupts, the London Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre (VAAC), based at the Met Office, runs the NAME atmospheric dispersion model. This, and similar models, are well proven and we can use them to predict the spread of pollutants following a chemical or nuclear leak
The model they use for tracking nuclear leak dispersion is apparently the same or very similar to the model for volcanic ash.

But I didn't yet find the specific nuclear alerts on their site, however the link you provided may only be for volcanic ash and not for nuclear radiation alerts.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Ive been searching through the VAAC site for awhile now and I still havent been able find anything about the warning yet.

www.metoffice.gov.uk...

According to the map on that part of the website, I would think that the Tokyo VAAC would be the one centre that is heavily monitoring this and were the ones to release the warning.

If the same model for ash can also predict nuclear stuff, I wouldnt doubt they would be using it for this disaster to.

top topics

join