It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is nuclear power anti-Christian?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Bartholomew I to Japan and the world: enough nuclear energy

A vibrant and heartfelt appeal to States to abandon the use of nuclear energy: this is the message sent by the Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew to the Japanese people to express the solidarity of the Orthodox world.

with all due respect for the human face of scientific knowledge of its potential use for the production of nuclear energy to meet the needs of humanity, thus threatening its survival, we dare to propose the use of scientific knowledge for the production of alternative energy sources, the so-called 'green' energy, that isfriendly to the environment and thus for humanity. "

www.asianews.it...:-enough-nuclear-energy-21017.html

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Anti-Christian? I'd say more like anti-human. The more I research nuclear power and its potential downside, this has to be something only people with no humanity would be using. Terrible decision by us...terrible
edit on 16-3-2011 by raiders247 because: typo

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   
yup, i agree, it is not only anti christian, also anti humane. The disadvantages greatly outweighs the advantages. There are so much of nuclear waste to dispose of..so horrified to even think of it.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by BeenieWeenie

no - that was simple

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   
I apologize for the link not fully working... the article goes on to say:

Bartholomew points out that "our Creator has given us the sun, wind, waves, from which energy can be extracted for our needs. An ecological science has the ability to invent tools for the production of renewable energy that is not harmful. Why, then, spread the use of energy production that is so dangerous to the integrity of the human race? Is it not an insult and a provocation of nature, which in turn then turns her back on human beings? ". "From this our humble home, along with our prayers for the sorely tried people of the Land of the Rising Sun, we take the opportunity to make an appeal to States to reconsider their policy on nuclear energy" says Bartholomew I. In short a brave and provocative message, and a decided position, in line with the ecological battle undertaken by the patriarchate of Constantinople since 1989, which with its various initiatives is at the forefront in the Christian world for ecological conception of creation.

My main point was that I have yet to hear such a statement by any leader of a Christian denomination so large.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
So everyone is saying this is Anti-Christian, please define what you are referring to a little better. God uses fission as in the nuclear reactors that are in use today below is some proof:

Natural fission chain-reactors on Earth
Criticality in nature is uncommon. At three ore deposits at Oklo in Gabon, sixteen sites (the so-called Oklo Fossil Reactors) have been discovered at which self-sustaining nuclear fission took place approximately 2 billion years ago. Unknown until 1972 (but postulated by Paul Kuroda in 1956[19]), when French physicist Francis Perrin discovered the Oklo Fossil Reactors, it was realized that nature had beaten humans to the punch. Large-scale natural uranium fission chain reactions, moderated by normal water, had occurred far in the past and would not be possible now. This ancient process was able to use normal water as a moderator only because 2 billion years before the present, natural uranium was richer in the shorter-lived fissile isotope 235U (about 3%), than natural uranium available today (which is only 0.7%, and must be enriched to 3% to be usable in light-water reactors).

en.wikipedia.org...

God also uses fusion as in how the sun is powered in our solar system. Both are nuclear and can be used in good ways and in bad ways. It is how we use them that is key.

I believe our creator would not like us to pollute the earth which nuclear fission reactors do, very little, but, they do.

The products of nuclear fission, however, are on average far more radioactive than the heavy elements which are normally fissioned as fuel, and remain so for significant amounts of time, giving rise to a nuclear waste problem. Concerns over nuclear waste accumulation and over the destructive potential of nuclear weapons may counterbalance the desirable qualities of fission as an energy source, and give rise to ongoing political debate over nuclear power.

I believe if you have a problem with radioactivity, then really you doubt the will of God and why he made the elements. Unless you are saying that nuclear fission is the apple of the tree of life I do not recall anything else God demanded we not use on the Earth.

You should not make this a religious issue, but a people issue and use an angle of pollution, but then you run the risk of intelligent conversation. Looking at all options our energy solutions do not look good but there are a few less damaging then nuclear at the moment, not at a production level that the big three energy polluter but we are moving forward. Look at how much progress we have made in the last 2000 years, we slaughtered whales for oil before finding it in the ground, burned raw coal in every home, or the discovery of fire in the beginning and all the Earth it has scorched.
Lets looks at the big ones, and really use the same logic you are using for nuclear for all the others, oil and its associated damage of extractions and spills as well as emissions, coal and all that harm associated with it, fracking for natural gas and the dangers that are coming to light, the production of solar panels and wind turbines are more promising but also you would have to account for the energy storage issue with those methods and then you are dealing with producing batteries which are very polluting.

I will agree this is not an easy issue but to demonize something God made and claiming it is anti-Christian is at best a stretch. Only after you realize every energy is pollution and really look at all angles you should not claim these things are anti anything in the name of God but this is anti productive for humanity of your own reasonings.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by coolhanddan

Did you even read the article? I think you are totally missing my point.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Link it correctly and I will, I only have read the comments and quotes that are in this thread.

Did you read what I said, directly relating to the name of the thread you created and that in itself is a question. I tried to answer your question with a response to think about as well, since you bring religion into this issue.

Parts of the quotes I agree with whole heartedly and wish people accepted the fact on energy production before these responses. They all create and destroy, hopefully one day we can look back and see how dirty it was but please lets state facts, they all are dirty, its our decision to chose which we think is the worst based on science not religion. Don't believe there is a "green" energy unless you use Geothermal. Nuclear Power, Biomass Energy, Natural Gas, Hydroelectricity, Wind Power, Solar Power, Wave Power, Tidal Power, or even the latest Rossi E-CAT LENR-CENR produce pollution/kill/destroy something to gain energy, that is how it works.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
No i guess it would depend on what kind of power.
A-bombing another country- very christian, look at christian history
A-bombing your own people- very atheist, look at every atheist dictator who has ever lived.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by coolhanddan

It wouldn't link correctly the first time so I will try again :

sorry, you'll have to cut and paste

edit on 18-3-2011 by BeenieWeenie because: (no reason given)

oh heck, just forget it... is there a way to just delete the whole thread?
edit on 18-3-2011 by BeenieWeenie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Dont give up Beenie, if you think you can change my mind I am open to it, U2U me the link and see if I can get it to work

top topics

join