It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you cried? Do you care? Please tell me I am not alone.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by kauskau

You're right, you shouldn't judge yourself and neither should I. We all process things differently and come from various backgrounds and experiences. Maybe at some point it will affect you and maybe it wont.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

A little bit on this converstion going on .If I may? My tears are my own. No one can see the deep spot inside me, that they come from. I don't expect others to feel the same. Or if they do? I don't expect to know about how they react to those feelings. That's just common diversty. Then there are also some very hateful people in this world.
Cynical people, who obviously lack compassion. I can't help but notice them. Some of the tears should be for them as well. At least where I come from.
edit on 17-3-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Yeah, Indeed I cried. Most people in the states just don't want to talk about it. It takes away comfort from there daily life.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I have had my share of crying lately in my opinion it's hard not to be emotional in this situation. I saw a video the other day of a dog protecting his buddy and it brought the whole thing into perspective. Animals like man are surrounding their loved ones and protecting them and trying to save them at the risk of themselves. Like those men in the Fukishima plant, they are risking their lives for the people of Japan, bravely those are heroes to me. There are stories coming out of that place of incredible sorrow and pain, and extreme heroism in the face of tragedy. I was watching the news last night of some sick pup preying on women and torturing them to death, luckily he's behind bars and god willing be sent to hell shortly. I welled up at some of those stories as well, it's like the tale of two opposites to me, one of incredible love and survival, and one of incredible hate and destruction. It's like my heart doesn't know how to feel lately, should I be sad, should I be rejoicing at those who have survived, or should I feel hate at how it all came down? I came to the conclusion last night that the old adage from Bruce Lee is so pointed, "Be water my friend, bend and form and adapt." We seeing that in action on so many levels and I will rejoice in that, but will always feel sorrow for over five thousand people who have lost their lives so far in this situation. Thanks for letting me rant a little bit.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Nice thread....but when will the grieving stop?

We can help ourselves by helping others.....

but dam i wish the nuclear problem would end so i could go help rebuild....

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Save your tears for later. At this point, the Japanese don't need your tears, they are in desparate need of aid and support. Anything you can send or do will be greatly appreciated by these people and will be remembered.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Great Day
Nice thread....but when will the grieving stop?

We can help ourselves by helping others.....

but dam i wish the nuclear problem would end so i could go help rebuild....

How would you even go about doing that? Because when everything calms a bit, I would be interested in that. Bigtime.

edit on 17-3-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

I cry a lot, the world is going to crap right now. The whole planet is headed for meltdown as far as I can see.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Let me add my assurance to that of the others: you're not alone.
My overriding emotion was one of growing shock & horror as the reports coming from Japan revealed the awesome scope of the disaster caused by the deadly combination of earthquake & tsunami that occurred.
I had seen several short news videos of the onset of the waves, & was appalled at the sight of things like large boats being crushed as they were swept under low-lying bridges.

Of course, I felt regret, too, for what was happening to the people of Japan, but still no tears, until I watched that 11 minute video of the tsunami's destruction, posted here in another thread, the one with a music track added. I think this was my first look at a more complete picture of the destruction done by the water as it swept onto & over the land, carrying away most of whatever was in its path.
Still, when tears started to come, the mounting shock & horror I felt pushed back the tears, even though I knew there had to be people in many of the cars & buildings I saw being carried off & torn up. It's as though some part of me was saying, "It's too big, don't yield to it!"

Some time after the video ended, I decided to watch some that were shot during the earthquake itself. In the second one I saw, recorded in a railway station, that dreadful shaking went on way too long for comfort. You didn't need to understand the language to recognize the fear and shock in the voices of the people who were crying out.
In the middle of all this shaking, a little girl looked to her mother, who bent over to comfort her with a hug. It was at that moment that my tears finally came, & I'm not ashamed to admit that it took me quite a while to stop crying over all that I had seen.

I'm both blessed & cursed with an extremely associative mind, and in that moment I realized that so many mothers & children, just like the pair I was seeing, must have been carried away by that horrible onslaught from the sea; from that thought to the beauty of a mother's love & caring, that she was able to put aside all else to comfort her child in her child's moment of need; from there to the confirmation of my belief that aside from the physical & cultural differences between us, we are all very much the same under the skin, thanks to her selfless act, one that would be done by any mother, anywhere, for her child.

My tears involved all of that: the overwhelming sadness of the tragedy, the beauty in that mother's simple act, & the renewal once again of my feeling of connectedness to the rest of humanity. Don't worry about that empathy; it's just your awareness of your own humanity.
Some choose to block it out, some embrace it, & for some, it's strong enough to leave no choice but to accept it, & to learn to live with it. One thing for sure: the texture of your life will be far richer for its presence.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Haven't boo-hoo'ed... I feel nothing for the poor people over there. Good point in that some people pretend to care so deeply about things yet few has just flat broke down into a driveling mess over what has happened to the Japanese. Most people here on ATS need pictures of dead/abused animals to get to that point of emotional distress.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghostnoise

I cry a lot, the world is going to crap right now. The whole planet is headed for meltdown as far as I can see.

See this is the kind of thinking that this talk breeds. God and DNA have spent 2 billion years turning this planet into a garden of eden. Man cannot stop this ancient process. If you look at it right, you'll see that the people who are in power are really just desperately hanging on to the last rung of the ladder.

"But what if life on this planet ends before we get off? Surely in the infinity of the universe this has happened before!" It's just a matter of where you put your consciousness. For, even as life on this planet ends, the universe is brimming with endless births.
edit on 17-3-2011 by 1ifbyland2ifbydebitcard because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Your right and if not for people like you there would probably be no hope for human kind.The problem is I have found is that you and people like you are few and far between.Thats sad.

I am not like you except where animal's are concerned,they are my only connection with reality these day's.People on the other hand have made there future built on greed and live for today let someone else worry about tomarrow so we will get what we deserve.That is also sad...................for people like you.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1ifbyland2ifbydebitcard

Originally posted by ghostnoise

See this is the kind of thinking that this talk breeds. God and DNA have spent 2 billion years turning this planet into a garden of eden. Man cannot stop this ancient process. If you look at it right, you'll see that the people who are in power are really just desperately hanging on to the last rung of the ladder.

"But what if life on this planet ends before we get off? Surely in the infinity of the universe this has happened before!" It's just a matter of where you put your consciousness. For, even as life on this planet ends, the universe is brimming with endless births.

Thank you for the reminder.

I should have also said this in my original OP. As a personal belief, for me anyways, my grieving is how I am able to move past my strong emotions. I mean, that I feel very strongly for all that is happening. Just not in Japan either. There is always something horrible happening somewhere at any given time; it is just that when it is sudden and affects masses, it makes it more acute.

We have to be able to get beyond the grief. Many on here have already said this and I agree 100% with them. Not to forget. There is a difference.

This earth is beyond beautiful and it is filled with love and lovely things. I have been trying more and more this past year or so to focus on those beautiful things. For me, I do this by taking pictures. I try and capture the beauty I see in things that you may never think to look at...but when you do, are amazed by it. I have shared several of these pictures here before but I would like to share them again. I am afraid I may have caused some people to dwell a little more in their misery and I want those of us who are sensitive to the pain to also feel the good just as strong. The following are a few images I have taken the past year or so that I like to go back to and remind myself why I love this life so much!!!! (in addition to family, but for obvious reasons wont post those.
)

Raindrop

Flathead lake

The most amazing rainbow I have ever seen - also my avatar

Trying to put my thumb on it

Sun halo

My friend the moth...amazing little creature!

Mount Rainier

Mount Baker as seen near my home

Sun dog

Mount Rainier and Helens from a plane

Amazing...from my backyard

One of my favorites: A simple blade of grass. Have you ever really looked at one????

The sun setting on the view from my backyard...God I love this place

Taken at night. I was trying to capture any northern lights that were possible that night...instead I got some clouds. It took my breath away...

Eagle near my home...such grace

And finally, the perigee moon as seen down my road last month. How can we NOT love this world we live in????

edit on 17-3-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I cried when my father died
I cried when my children were born
I cried when my son got sick and had surgery
I cried when my beloved dog had to be put down

Perhaps I save my emotions when something hits close to home....too many awful things to be sad about.

I'm not cold-hearted..I just can't have these things we see on the news get me down...I have a family and a life.

Everyday there is some terrible tragedy..

I am not gonna spill some"crocodile tears".....to appear "sensative"
edit on 17-3-2011 by wrathchild because: not done brathering

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I enjoyed reading what you wrote and you expressed yourself so well......Yes i have cried and have not slept well watching whats happening and my heart aching for the people of Japan....I know 1 other person whos family lives there that has most likely cried and IS deeply affected by this....Any one else i know is not affected to much by it all....My dh watches and that's about it does not say much,but did say if he could he would go there to help them rebuild so that's his way of showing he cares.....I never knew what a wonderful culture they have in Japan and how genital they are until this happened, and am in just so saddened this had to happen to them.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Beautiful pictures westcoast,and your little friend the moth omg how cute is that i had no idea they were so cute.you can see there little eyes and everything!LOL...Thanks!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaganArchangel

Originally posted by 1ifbyland2ifbydebitcard

Originally posted by HADOUKEN
I think many humans are a waste of the air they breathe. There are too many humans on this planet that should not survive, yet they do.

And some who perish deserve life, but can you give it to them?

To Hadouken:
For all of the ones that you think should not survive remember there are also those who think you shouldn't either

Exactly. And that is the 'game' of survival and competition.

I will admit I am surprised and humbled by the behavior of the Japanese in the wake of the crisis. The amount of self control and calmness shown is more than I could ever, ever hope for here in the United States. When it starts getting hectic here I already know there will be robbing, raping, and killing by the truckload.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by HADOUKEN

On this, unfortunately, we do agree.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
Thank you for the reminder.
This earth is beyond beautiful and it is filled with love and lovely things.

You took those? Wow. I am 100% impressed with your photography. You must be really into it and have some nice equipment. And what beautiful country you live in!
My favorite is the blade of grass...
all of them are just so clear! great choices in subject matter.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by 1ifbyland2ifbydebitcard

Thank you! I got a Nikon D40 for christmas a couple of years ago and have been having fun with it ever since!

I was thinking about what it was I wanted to portray with my pictures...what I am trying to get people to notice. I thought about a simple blade of grass. I went out into my back yard and tried to find a nice looking specimen and then it was all about getting the right angle so I had the sky behind it and the sun at the correct angle.

My camera is idiot proof so I love it!
It's exciting when something comes out the way I envisioned it.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join