It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you cried? Do you care? Please tell me I am not alone.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I'm heartbroken. Seems like I can barely think about it without starting to cry again. Their beautiful country, devastated and some of the most beautiful, small seaside towns, erased. Just erased, as if they were never there at all. The history of those towns, some of them thousands of years old, obliterated by that cold wall of water. All of those good people swept away to their deaths. And now the horror of the nuclear catastrophe, with the specter of Hiroshima and Nagasaki still a dark prescence in their national collective consciousness. I ache for their losses, like I fell down a flight of stairs or got punched in the stomach. I too get funny looks from some of my friends when I mention how I'm feeling. This human race of ours is such a mess, but I love us all so much with all of our flaws and foibles, and it kills me to see this happening to our human family members across the Pacific. I mean, what if it ends up that Japan is just......no longer Japan? What then?

I thought of you right away, westcoast, as soon as I first heard the news about the quake and tsunami. I remembered that you had been saying for a couple of weeks on the other quake threads that you had an awful feeling that something terrible was lurking around the corner. I had hoped you were wrong, but I am not surprised you were right. I think you are an empath. Not just with other human beings, but maybe with the earth, too.

Thank you for this thread, for giving us a place to express our deep sorrow and anguish. Just know that you are not alone. I feel it too, as I'm sure many, many others do.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
I haven't slept more than ten twenty minutes here or there since it happened... I can no longer watch as well, and have been sobbing so hard and for so long that the bags under my eyes almost look like blisters... I have never even had bags under my eyes before... it has completly consumed me and a few friends of mine as well... ibfinally made myself go to karaoke and sucked myself outta the gloom for a bit... actually even got to laugh at a funny story too... I help my neighbours a bit too much even, but when I am happy it is a happy I am sure few get to ever experience.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Yes I have cried and I still cry. To see people here going about their business, putting out their spring bedding plants etc, is just unreal. There is just a horrible smugness about it. It happened to the other person, nothing to see here, move along. It has to be said - easier to shove a disaster under the carpet when it's some 3rd world state you have never heard of. But these were ordinary people, with kids and pets and lives like ours.

I also wonder why people are being so apathetic. Here is a thread which at least discusses ways of helping.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Elsewhere on another site I started a thread about how we could help. No one responded. A true eye opener.
edit on 16-3-2011 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
westcoast ... may God bless you.

What you are looking at is the result of decades of programming, where "entertainment" has been elevated abover reality, and no, they (fb friends) CANNOT empathise anymore. I see it at work, the people who "tune into the quake news" because it's new, tomorrow they're back to .. sheen/gaga/whatever. No connect.

You can't really hold them accountable, i mean you should, but you can't. You have to find the 1-in-a-hundred who can still feel and show emotion, and they will share your .... aliveness. It's a no win situation, that these people are in, all you can do is keep on, knowing that you are human, them not anymore ... i guess.

peace man

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   

edit on 16/3/2011 by TheWalkingFox because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
One of the best things I ever learned to do was to let go of the fact that not everyone has the emotional or mental prowess to fulfil that which you describe in your OP. That being said, I struggled for many years to come to grips with society's Handicaps which have been purposely placed there. I see them being overcome....slowly but is it too late?

I have seen and heard people laughing and making all manner of jokes and it makes me very sad, But i have to let it go or it will eat away at my spirit. That's not our fault. Good natured, kindhearted people always dwell on such things. Know that you and others like you are sending out positive energies for these poor people, and that will overcome any negative energies coming from them.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

The moment I heard there was a M9 earthquake in Japan and there was a tsunami warning I just started crying, hadn't even seen pictures or video's yet... I just imagined what all these people where going through and that was enough to set me off.
Didn't leave my computer in the next 24 hours to follow up on what was happening... the tsunami and then the first info on the nuclear threats that came in. I cried a lot during that time, I don't know why I suddenly felt such empathy for all the Japanese people involved in this disaster. Didn't had that with Haiti...

I can hardly bare to look at pictures or video's now because all I want to do is jump on a plain and go help out... or do "something!", no matter what... just feel so helpless sitting and watching and not able to do something.
My husband says I need to get away from the computer and the news because it is how it is and there is nothing we can do at this moment, life goes on. But my life seemed to have stopped the moment that quake hit.

Last night I even dreamt that I got home and there was a big sign in front of my house saying "warning, fallout!". So creepy, I really wonder if that is the next thing to worry about here in Europe, the fallout that is expected within a timeframe of one week and one month (lets hope it doesnt rain). Our weathermand said there is nothing to worry about over here... then again, been hearing that alot in the last 4 days 'nothing to worry about' huh....

I was wondering if others felt that way, s and f for this thread

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
It all depends on your perspective I guess. I'm in my mid forties now. Growing up in America as a person of Japanese descent in the era I did has been quite frankly an experience I wouldn't wish on someone I hate. In my own family I had people despise me not because they themselves served during WWII, but because they heard of Pearl Harbor on the news and it was their 9-11 and any and all Japanese were forever sneaky treacherous "Japs" in their eyes. I mean seriously imagine being an innocent little kid and have some members of your own family, great uncles, cousins, etc, hate you because of what you look like, not what you did or didn't do on your own merits. So I was pleasantly surprised and warmed to the depth of my heart to read so many outpourings of love and sympathy directed to the people of Japan. I do still have family there, so it means a lot to know people the world over are directing positive thoughts, action, aid and prayers there, despite the fact that yes, Japan has some really ugly blots in its history. The positive people posting comments more than outnumbered the cruel and negative and bigoted ones and were far more eloquent, too. I do not like what I had to endure growing up, but it was worth it to see how far we have come as an enlightened people...lol...for the most part.

I think people may be more compassionate than it would appear on the surface. I know back when I worked I would do my darnedest to hide my feelings. I did my crying at home. If I were at work now, first off I'd be working and not looking at the news because I'd be too upset to get any work done. If I were to see a coworker cry about the news, I would try to act neutral and respect their privacy and let them react the way they see fit. I wouldn't engage them in conversation about the news and risk upsetting them further. I'd try to steer the conversation to neutral ground. It would not be because I lack empathy. Seriously, the Japanese are my cousins, to my mind anyway. Some of the faces I've seen in the news remind me so much of relatives I know and love, it hurts me to look too much. But I would disengage myself from the tragedy while at work or in public just so I could get through the day.

When I visit ATS I usually try to balance out my visits so I am not left with any one prevailing feeling that could render me unable to function. As someone who has been treated for depression, it is imperative that I work to balance out my emotions. So if it's a particularly upsetting day at ATS, I usually try to visit the Cryptozoology board for some fun and mirth. Big Foot is always funny...unless he catches you.
edit on 16-3-2011 by SheeplFlavoredAgain because: Clarify poorly written sentence

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   

I haven't read all the thread so far, sorry.

You are not alone. There will be millions of people around the world who connected and cried in sadness. And there will be millions of people around the world who didn't for various reasons.

Empathy is an important tool for personal growth.. the closest thing you can get to walking in someone else's shoes.

And it's okay to cry in sadness, and in joy. Life is about balancing everything, including our cultural indoctrinations.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Hey, is that Tokyo time your posting at or is that out time on US soils.

I was wondering if you have gone up to Ueno or in that area at all?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Well to be honest. When i saw some of the videos I got all choked up a little but did not cry. I have alot of friends I met over the years some in the North, South east and west coast. When I think that some may be dead and their children with whom I had played with and brought them gifts.

Ya I get a little choked up. But no tears to be honest.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by dalloway

Dont be sad. It's ok. The people are very stong and deteermined to resolve this and like I said in my other post they will risk their lives for the good of Japan and for the good of the people.

If you cry it is ok and is very normal.

It is hard to see anyone suffering especially the young and old.

Fell not sadness by feel happy that these people are doing everything the can to prevent a catastophy like none have seen.

Be postitive and hope for the best .

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
this has been terrible.. at work, reading the news and trying to be as stoic as possible.. but its not easy. and when no one is around, yes i cry.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Westcoast, I am with you all the way. If you were reading the Strange Feeling thread you would see that I have been having a HUGE issue with this situation, emotionally speaking. I was so upset one night I U2U'd a friend here about it. I am more able to deal with it now, but I cry every day when I see the "new" news after working all night.

I think people are ill-equipped to handle the enormity of emotion involved in these scenarios. They are so ill-equipped, they either choose to ignore it for the most part, or choose to click that entertaining link instead of dealing with it. That said, more and more people are starting to understand that they have to pay attention, they have to learn to deal with the emotion, because it just keeps happening, doesn't it?

I thought Deepwater was going to wreck me. It did for a while, and then I was able to deal. I still cry when I see someone else is sick or is dying or see pics of oil still washing up on shore. This is the same type of emotional situation, but I was able to recover (for the most part) more quickly. Then, I see news that people are volunteering, basically, to die so that others might live and I wonder about the humanity of that, and how their families are dealing with it.

You aren't alone, and if it ever gets to be too much, I am available by PM any time.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I've reluctantly come to the conclusion that I have some sort of mild empathic tendencies. It's sort of surged in the past few years.

I can't pass an ambulance or an accident, watch a news report, read an article or be around a person suffering emotionally or physically without an intense reaction that I have to work hard to contain or without feeling extreme fatigue and emotional exhaustion.

I have never been like this before and I don't want this now. It's horrible. It's honestly easier these days to be by myself than interact with the world. But of course I do, and no one around me knows I feel this way.

So for some people, not watching or not having a reaction is a defense mechanism. Because for the past two or three years, the world has seen a lot of suffering and drama and chaos.

On top of this, it seems to me that we're somewhat desensitized to real world issues. Were so consumed with superficial issues that we're in information overload. I mean people have been seized and captivated by Charlie Sheen for goodness sake. We obsess on looks, fashion, money, sports, politics, whatever, pick one, none of it's real.

People close the door to that which is real, like the Japan situation, and subconsciously opt to manage their emotions while gaming, watching TV or a movie, or interacting on-line because it's fake, it's not real life, it's manageable, it's safe. Even you are managing it by posting on facebook. That seems surreal to me, I'm not judging - it's just vastly different than how people have dealt with grief and shock for eons of human history. And let me just add, I would feel so weird about "liking" a facebook post about suffering or tragedy, but that's just me.

We're in uncharted territory no matter how you look at it.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast

It is really bothering me. Have you cried? Have you looked at the images of people being swept away, the horrific screams of the onlookers as they watched their homes and loved ones ripped away from them and felt something other than your own selfish needs? Does it move you?

Yes. Tears running down my face. I also have friends in Japan, and I cannot get a hold of them.

Originally posted by westcoast
I have posted no less than ten different links to articles and videos on first the quake, the tsunami, the nuclear catastrophe and the horrific struggle for survival on my facebook these past four days. Do you know how many 'likes' I got? Two or three. Do you know how many people commented? Three. I have a lot of 'freinds'. It may seem like a funny thing to have bother me, but I have found that Facebook is actually a pretty good thermometer for our society.

However, posting this little rant shaking your finger at people when you aren't getting enough attention with your show of "empathy" on facebook strikes me as rather selfish too. It's all well and good to say "Why aren't you paying attention the them", but it's another thing entirely to say "Why aren't you paying attention to me paying attention to them." Which, because you are lashing out here a bit is at least part of your motivation, though I doubt you will admit it. You are a selfless humanitarian that we should all look up to after all.

I don't think facebook is a good thermometer for our society in this regard. Most people use those social networking sites as a form of escape-ism first and "keeping in touch" second. However, everyone one of my friends and family that I have reached out are horrified by the disaster in Japan and want to talk about it and want to help, but I don't use social networking sites as a primary tool to keep in touch either.

Try changing the venue of communication, if that doesn't work... Maybe you need different friends.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I woke up to the news Saturday morning and felt completely stunned. It was a bit like going into shock. I just couldn't believe what I was reading and seeing. I was infront of the PC for hours, but had to go climbing as it had been arranged and I didn't want to let my brother down again.He's had a hard time recently and was looking forward to it. I really didn't want to go but forced myself then as soon as I came home I was on the PC all day and really late into the night. It's been the same every day since. Watching the news alot on TV too.

I run an ebay shop and had many orders come in Friday night, as they do most days. I closed the shop Sunday to avoid all new orders for a bit and made up an excuse to all the people waiting for their readings, because the truth is my mind has just been unable to focus on much else for the past few days. I will have to quit the news obsession in time for next week as I have to earn a living, but at the moment I can't work properly as am so distracted by everything going on. I can't shut down my main website but hardly any orders come from that, it's mostly ebay.

I have felt very moved by it all and quite overwhelmed really. I haven't cried actual tears , but the tears have been inside if you know what I mean. Interspersed with worry, concern and disbelief. Haven't been sleeping too well or enough and the first thing on my mind in the morning and last thing on my mind at night and most of inbetween is Japan. I laid there last night in my warm, cosy bed in my nice, warm house, and thought of all the thousands out there now packed into camps with nothing but the clothes on their backs for many of them , making do with a tiny space on a mat, on the floor. Their minds, hearts and souls filled with grief, fear and shock.

I'm so glad ATS exists as so many of us are feeling exactly the same and we can come here to connect, keep updated and share this unfolding nightmare. It's happened to Japan but we are all living on planet Earth and so it is bound to have an impact on people from around the globe .

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Don't really wish to be a party pooper, but let's face it. We will not have enough tears to shed as more is to come, and will come.

Let us instead face what is to come with courage and togetherness as one race, sharing and helping one another in the trials. The most painful of it all will be natural events, for there is no way we can control nature. We can only best prepared ourselves so that we need not live in fear and die a thousand deaths daily.

But there will be man-made events that will equally hurt as well, and it is those that we must unite and find a common ground to resolve those issues as one race for the sake of humanity, for it will be those that are man-made that will doom us all and leave no remnants.

Cry no more, and face life with courage from today. It will not be the end of the world if we dont let it, by each and everyone of us taking responsibility and action to do which is necessary for not only our survival, but for our loved ones, family, relatives and friends which makes up the world we live in today.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I cried . I was out , without communication for several days and come home to find my portfolio down $60,000.00 , running with loose stops . Mainly uranium stocks . Now the middle east , not so much because the oil stocks are doing quite well . The gold stocks are up a lot so i'm not losing any sleep over those . Fairly sure i'll make it back in the uranium stocks as it's only the people who jump off the roller coaster that get hurt so i'm staying in . Feel bad about the Japanese folks but can't say that i've been doing any crying over it . We all have our own tear thresh hold and money is definately mine .

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
You're not alone... I cried, and I don't do that often. Last time was when my Mother died--which was 2 months after 9|11... both things were stressful.

I was watching LIVE as the wave came in, and seeing the people in cars TRYING to outrun it, just made me weep. And now we have a Nuclear disaster to worry about and a large quake under Mt Fuji...

My heart goes out to every single person in Japan. The world is watching and helping.. You are not alone.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join