Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Have you cried? Do you care? Please tell me I am not alone.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+45 more 
posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I'm struggling a bit in how to start this. To convey what it is that has been plaguing me since the 9.0 quake in Japan. No, that is not completely accurate. It started before that. It bothered me last year too during the Haiti quake, and the Chili quake and the BP oil spill. But this past week it just seems to be even worse.

You know, I like so many others here lately on ATS had a growing sense these last couple of weeks that something really bad was going to happen. It was almost like a symptom of our societies illness weighing on us and we knew it had to burst out somewhere soon. Not the quake itself, but the reactions afterward. It is just so obvious to me and I feel like so few other people even recognize it for what it is. Do you? Do you see it? Do you feel it weighing heavy around you like an oily smoke that you don't want to breath in but there is no where else to go?

I have posted no less than ten different links to articles and videos on first the quake, the tsunami, the nuclear catastrophe and the horrific struggle for survival on my facebook these past four days. Do you know how many 'likes' I got? Two or three. Do you know how many people commented? Three. I have a lot of 'freinds'. It may seem like a funny thing to have bother me, but I have found that Facebook is actually a pretty good thermometer for our society.

It is really bothering me. Have you cried? Have you looked at the images of people being swept away, the horrific screams of the onlookers as they watched their homes and loved ones ripped away from them and felt something other than your own selfish needs? Does it move you? Or do you click on the next link, hit the pause button and instead choose to read about Charlie Sheen because it is just so much easier?

I understand the need for normalcy. I realize it isn't healthy to dwell in a misery that you can't do anything about. But it certainly isn't normal to ignore the pain of others just becuase it is unpleasant to think about. Last year I was at work when I realized the full terror of the Haiti quake. I began to cry. It was just light, quiet, a few tears that only a couple of people noticed. When I told them why, I was met with completey blank looks. It didn't even register on their faces. These were nurses. Parents. People. They simply didn't care or didn't allow themselves to care. Absolutely no empathy.

Empathy. The capacity to recognize and share feelings of hapiness or sadness of another person. To care. To love.

The capacity of caring that I have seen in most people since this tragedy in Japan began, is whether or not they have to worry about radiation spreading to their part of the world. Much easier to concentrate on a threat that most likely wont happen rather than the million plus people that are without water, electricity and food in sub-freezing weather fighting for survival.

The Japanese as a society will survive. They are a strong community built on honor and pride. They don't loot from there neighbor because they are vulnerable, but will help each other to rebuild because it is the honorable thing to do.

Us? I'm not so sure. I fear for us. I fear for our apathy and sense of entitlement. We don't think we should have to work for our happiness anymore, but that we deserve it. No matter what the cost. What has it cost you? Do you take care of your parents after they are old and feeble, do you look out for your neighbor when they are sick or in need? Do you extend a hand to a stranger asking for help or look away because it is just easier that way?

My soul is aching. It is a physical pain. But you know what? It is so much better than not feeling anything at all.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I think it is sad, but it is also a thing of beauty and it helps explain the human condition. I do not feel empathy or sympathy for which I can not relate so the only thing left is apathy, which is what you are feeling, but don't let it get you down. Death can be a beautiful thing, but beauty is only in the eyes of the beholder because they are given back to god. As for your concern for those people do understand that the Japanese were prepared and they will eventually overcome this tragedy,

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
You are not alone. I feel exactly the same. I do nothing other than think about everything that is going on. My own life feels very unimportant but my kids give me normality I guess. It weighs very heavy in my heart, a constant feeling of sadness and dread. These are strange times indeed.

(shortened post, could have written much more but I have kids to get ready for school!)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
It's very interesting what strikes people and what doesn't, what is too big to process and what hits home.

I have been in Tokyo throughout this entire ordeal and I haven't shed a single tear.

In fact, if I am to be honest with myself, I msut admit that I feel more alive than I have in quite some time. But in some ways I only really ever feel alive in situations of physical danger. Sick, I know, but its who I've been for many years.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
I'm struggling a bit in how to start this. To convey what it is that has been plaguing me since the 9.0 quake in Japan. No, that is not completely accurate. It started before that. It bothered me last year too during the Haiti quake, and the Chili quake and the BP oil spill. But this past week it just seems to be even worse.

You know, I like so many others here lately on ATS had a growing sense these last couple of weeks that something really bad was going to happen. It was almost like a symptom of our societies illness weighing on us and we knew it had to burst out somewhere soon. Not the quake itself, but the reactions afterward. It is just so obvious to me and I feel like so few other people even recognize it for what it is. Do you? Do you see it? Do you feel it weighing heavy around you like an oily smoke that you don't want to breath in but there is no where else to go?

I have posted no less than ten different links to articles and videos on first the quake, the tsunami, the nuclear catastrophe and the horrific struggle for survival on my facebook these past four days. Do you know how many 'likes' I got? Two or three. Do you know how many people commented? Three. I have a lot of 'freinds'. It may seem like a funny thing to have bother me, but I have found that Facebook is actually a pretty good thermometer for our society.

It is really bothering me. Have you cried? Have you looked at the images of people being swept away, the horrific screams of the onlookers as they watched their homes and loved ones ripped away from them and felt something other than your own selfish needs? Does it move you? Or do you click on the next link, hit the pause button and instead choose to read about Charlie Sheen because it is just so much easier?

I understand the need for normalcy. I realize it isn't healthy to dwell in a misery that you can't do anything about. But it certainly isn't normal to ignore the pain of others just becuase it is unpleasant to think about. Last year I was at work when I realized the full terror of the Haiti quake. I began to cry. It was just light, quiet, a few tears that only a couple of people noticed. When I told them why, I was met with completey blank looks. It didn't even register on their faces. These were nurses. Parents. People. They simply didn't care or didn't allow themselves to care. Absolutely no empathy.

Empathy. The capacity to recognize and share feelings of hapiness or sadness of another person. To care. To love.

The capacity of caring that I have seen in most people since this tragedy in Japan began, is whether or not they have to worry about radiation spreading to their part of the world. Much easier to concentrate on a threat that most likely wont happen rather than the million plus people that are without water, electricity and food in sub-freezing weather fighting for survival.

The Japanese as a society will survive. They are a strong community built on honor and pride. They don't loot from there neighbor because they are vulnerable, but will help each other to rebuild because it is the honorable thing to do.

Us? I'm not so sure. I fear for us. I fear for our apathy and sense of entitlement. We don't think we should have to work for our happiness anymore, but that we deserve it. No matter what the cost. What has it cost you? Do you take care of your parents after they are old and feeble, do you look out for your neighbor when they are sick or in need? Do you extend a hand to a stranger asking for help or look away because it is just easier that way?

My soul is aching. It is a physical pain. But you know what? It is so much better than not feeling anything at all.

We're in the same boat man. I think we might be ok though. I think Community will ultimately pull together. Especially on the West Coast, its actually is different out here.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

I enjoyed reading your thread, thanks. No, I did not cry. Maybe because it is so tightly ingrained in my Russian genes to be very "cold blooded". I have been to many places people would never even dream of going. I really have seen it all. From Chechnya, China, North Korea..etc.... I have seen suffering, and my ancestors lived it. It's already part of me.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by 12.21.12

I think you may have misunderstood me.

I have cried several times. The pain I feel for them is very real.

Be careful of your apathy, it can be a dangerous thing.

Yes....here on the westcoast we still look each other in the eye. I recently visited New York and I do not want to go back. It's like real life zombies. Nebraska is great. Total strangers wave at you as you drive by. At first it seems very strange but then when you leave...you miss it. That sense of community and that if something bad were to happen your neighbors or even people that don't know you would help.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Yes I care with news like this who couldn't?

The total number of dead or missing is now more than 11,000 Japan's NHK TV reports - the first time since WWII that so many people have been killed in Japan in a natural disaster.

quote from the BBC live.

I have been following you for a little while with your earthquake expertise. Life is short and it people do not live some dreams now then they never will.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by RustyShakleford92

I understand to a degree. I have been a firefighter/EMT and support officer. I have seen some horrific things. Told someone thier loved one was dead, held a mom while saying goodbye to her child, performed CPR on a friend. I know about compartmentalizing. Sometimes we have to in order to perform and do what needs to be done.

But I still felt it. I cried later and acknowledged my emotions. Then I moved on.

It is the same with this natural disaster and any other....but what I am afraid I am seeing in our society is a lack of acknowledgement. It's like there is this viel that they refuse to lift. It isn't healthy.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkipperJohn
Yes I care with news like this who couldn't?

The total number of dead or missing is now more than 11,000 Japan's NHK TV reports - the first time since WWII that so many people have been killed in Japan in a natural disaster.

quote from the BBC live.

I have been following you for a little while with your earthquake expertise. Life is short and it people do not live some dreams now then they never will.

I agree 100% My concern though is that to be apathetic, you can never really enjoy life. Not the way it is meant to be enjoyed.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

I guess I just can not relate. While I think it is sad, I do not feel sad and I am very much looking forward to the future. Even if it involves radiation earthquakes or whatever. But for whatever it's worth, I hope you start feeling better and those that are in Japan and the families here. I hope everything thats good that can happen from this will happen.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
i've had to stop watching footage, because i cant without breaking down crying every time. i feel so helpless, being here where i cant do anything except think positively for the people and hope that it doesnt get worse and that people are ok. im trying really hard to stay positive though because sometimes i think our thoughts and emotions can have an impact on our reality. i dont want to think anything negative that could manifest physically into something bad...it sounds silly, i know that. but i cant do anything else...i cant even donate money because i dont have any
staying informed, clear headed and positive is really all i can do right now i guess...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by devilishlyangelic23

Oh I know, I have had to stop watching video also. Like I said, it also isn't healthy to dwell in something you can't do anything about. It is just the total lack of....even interest. Like the latest Ipod is more interesting to most people. Like they consider it a boring movie that isn't worth their time. It is....kinda freaky.

I am not depressed. I am just sad for the people there and I think that is perfectly normal, rather than strange.

I have been praying daily and trying to 'send' my love and positive energy, because it is all I can do right now...and I think it works.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
I have deep respect for your compassion.
I have found myself sometimes overcome with unshakable waves of empathy that I can not withhold when I have seen misery impact others of my blood.
I did not understand it at first, it did not match my environment or psychological background at all hardly.
I used to laugh at the peta people even (and I think this is relevant) until I actually saw the videos, I bawled!
Empathy is life, empathy is realism, empathy is evolutionary.
It is sometimes hard to come out of our shells, some remain there their entire lives.

As for this disaster however, I haven't cried yet, I think it all seems almost unreal to perceive it..

my God you are right have been turned off....

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   
No, you are not alone. While I have not cried, per-say, my eyes have watered daily upon watching reports from around the world. Things seem to be falling apart all around us with daily reminders countering any doubt attempting to blind us from that reality.

"There's something happening here. what it is ain't exactly clear" (Buffalo Springfield). But I tell you . . . I can most certainly feel it coming . . . I hope I am wrong!
edit on 16-3-2011 by nonnez because: s

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
i guess im not the only one. i had a few tears earlier while watching some new footage i had not seen.

i have had emotions watching footage before but never actually had any tears. today was a first. i guess grown men do cry.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by LoveSoldier

I have always been a compasionate person and somewhat sensitive to other peoples.....inner self. Less than six months ago though I become 're-connected' with my spirit/soul/energy/love/god....whatever name you choose to put to it. It has been an incredible experience. I have been able to forgive pain and hurt that i never thought capable of letting go. But it was so easy once I realized it was a burden I put on myself. We are in complete control of our own happiness. We like to blame others when we are unhappy or look to other to make us happy, but that is false. We can only truely be happy if we love ourselves and in turn each other. Everyone. We are all part of the same fabric. We need to handle each other with care and extend to each other the same love we wish for oursleves.

I may be rambling now, but maybe someone will get it who didn't before. Let go.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
May it be my purely objective, noninflammatory observation that the suppression of emotion has been advocated since TV began and has only gotten worse and worse over the decades to the point where we now stand.

Emotions are a part of you, and if you can not face them, or let others face them around you without getting a uncomfortable, perhaps maybe JUST maybe, this is a byproduct of the false-society we all have been brought into.

The human mind can not and will not operate on a *truly* sane level until all of its components can operate as one whole without being attacked or condemned (secularized)

Emotion is half of you, so if you are uncomfortable with it being around, perhaps that is because you sense somewhere something is wrong.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
For a guy I feel an unusually high amount of empathy in situations like this, but particularly when it's closer to my world personally. I don't deal with funerals of relatives very easily. I cry quite a bit for a guy in his lower 20's, when I think about something like this disaster but also the state of the world in general. I feel helpless and that only makes it worse.

It helps me to just open up to my mother sometimes when I'm overwhelmed. I've got a very short fuse so maybe I just experience emotion stronger than most guys or don't hide it as well (I think the latter).

I notice that there are a lot of seemingly emotionless zombies out there that just get off on being apathetic and making light of things that are deadly serious. Maybe that's a defense mechanism for people who seem to have stunted development for whatever reason (I've got my own ideas on that) but it pisses me off.

I know there are a lot of psychopathic personalities out there (especially towards the upper strata). I think the hyperconsumerist culture makes the majority of people who aren't mentally disturbed obsessed with themselves and trivial things.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
reply to post by LoveSoldier

I have always been a compasionate person and somewhat sensitive to other peoples.....inner self. Less than six months ago though I become 're-connected' with my spirit/soul/energy/love/god....whatever name you choose to put to it. It has been an incredible experience. I have been able to forgive pain and hurt that i never thought capable of letting go. But it was so easy once I realized it was a burden I put on myself. We are in complete control of our own happiness. We like to blame others when we are unhappy or look to other to make us happy, but that is false. We can only truely be happy if we love ourselves and in turn each other. Everyone. We are all part of the same fabric. We need to handle each other with care and extend to each other the same love we wish for oursleves.

I may be rambling now, but maybe someone will get it who didn't before. Let go.

I have had the same reconnection within the same time frame you describe, actually.

Words of wisdom indeed.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join