It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Red flickering thing would I be looking at from 49° 53' 0" N / 97° 10' 0" W ??? A planet?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what I might be looking at. I am on the 23rd floor of my apartment building and facing west. I am in Winnipeg, Manitoba and I have been watching a flickering, what appears to be, red star?

Winnipeg's latitude/longitude is 49° 53' 0" N / 97° 10' 0" W (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, North/West Hemisphere, Earth...).

I am guessing that this red flicker is probably/or might be a planet? Does anyone know what planet I would be looking at from my position, at this hour? The moon of course is slowly moving it's way across the sky(let me say SLOWLY) again, however this object seems to be moving across the sky a lot quicker. I can't physically see it moving, but in the last hour it has moved about, let's say 10" from the point I first saw it threw my window to where it is now.

Any ideas?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Most Likiely Comet Elenin/Nibiru/ Planet x is all the names for it. Are you useing a telescope? If so what magnification? or even binoculars? Or can you just see it with the naked eye? As for me im gonna go outside right now and check if i see anything.. Im also probably about 3000 miles south of you in florida though But ill post again if i see anything.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by loagun

does it look like this? Carneyart on youtube has been recording it for some time. I believe he's in Michigan's upper peninsula.
Elenin again?
edit on 16-3-2011 by chefc14 because: just trying to connect the video properly.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by loagun

Hi there.
Just for interest sake i actually went and put your co-ordinates into Google sky to see if there is a star or anything else in that area witch could explain what you where seeing. What i did find was kind of freaky. Picture It looks like a flare (coming from where?) or even the reflection of a telescope (The part in front). Just thought it will be interesting to hear your thoughts on this.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Me and some friends in near-by towns watched this in north eastern PA one night. We would explain it's movements to each other over the phone and could all tell it was def. moving. It slowly got higher in the sky, but also made minor maneuvers while staying in the general spot in the sky. Pretty cool.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by maarts69za
reply to post by loagun

Hi there.
Just for interest sake i actually went and put your co-ordinates into Google sky to see if there is a star or anything else in that area witch could explain what you where seeing. What i did find was kind of freaky. Picture It looks like a flare (coming from where?) or even the reflection of a telescope (The part in front). Just thought it will be interesting to hear your thoughts on this.

It looks like solar arrays and antennas, however blacked out, weird. Good find, but idk what it is. You called it a flare, how? It's not bright.
edit on 3/16/2011 by SixX1874 because: added

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
I've been seeing this also and so has my boyfriend and it definately moves.
Was going to start a thread about it when I finally had my 20 posts so pleased you posted this for me to keep an eye on.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
don't quote me on it, cos i'm going out on a limb here...

But I will say that my hypothetical best guess would be... Arcturus

Its part of the Boötes constellation... the brightest star of that constellation which is Arcturus has often looked red to me and it flickers and makes a fuss... i smoke and I smoke outside...and being a night owl... me and Boötes and Arcturus have long been friends...

Arcturus (α Boo, α Boötis, Alpha Boötis) is the brightest star in the constellation Boötes. To the naked eye, orangey-yellow Arcturus has a visual magnitude of −0.04, making it the brightest star in the northern hemisphere and the fourth brightest star in the night sky

The wikipedia entry from which I obtained that off-site quote(you can find the link below), says its orangey-yellow... I'm noticed it being red before...

Here is a Wikipedia article about Boötes

Here is one for Arcturus

Hope that's the right star... if not you just learned something about Boötes... if you already knew about Boötes, then at the least you had a refresher...

Happy Hunting

-Evol Eric

edit on 3/16/11 by EvolEric because: spelling

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by SixX1874

It is a tad brighter than the area around it, but a lens flare? I don`t know what it is either, just taking a stab in the dark and have not seen anything in the sky, (probably because I am from South Africa?) It might be a bit out of sight. But I`ll keep my eye on this thread and in the sky. We should try and get hold of an astrologist, maybe he or she can shed some light on this phenomenon.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

yea i feel you. idk why it looked like it was moving tho, it only did that night, and i dont know if it's that or not, but it hasn't been in that part of the sky since, and not in the sky every clear night even.

The image from Google that was posted in a link up top, that could be a space craft that's reflecting or emitting light at times.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by SixX1874

I've noticed it getting dim...getting brighter.... pulsate.... swaying back and forth and acting like anything but a star...

but according to this THREAD... Apparently stars can move... check it out... pretty interesting discovery...

would/might explain the movement...

edit on 3/16/11 by EvolEric because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
It might be Mars...

I know you can see it around here in Niagara at certian times of the year...

It can move pretty fast across the sky too, sometimes you can see it move..
edit on 16-3-2011 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Mars has been staying with the sun for the last lil while...
Saturn is the only planet you can see currently at night...

That's according to my fancy star chart I have on my phone...
all the planets are hidden by the sun's light... with the exception of Saturn...
its been that way for at least a week...

So If I can't see Mars because its day time and its staying with the sun... then no one else can...

but in the past i've seen mars... I remember in 2003 or maybe 2004 it was super close to the earth... what a view!!!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

Wait this is in the day time?

Can you get a picture?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I have seen Mars in the evening sky before and I can promise you it does not look anything like what we are looking at on google sky or the youtube video. It is more like a space craft effect??

Will have a propper look at it again after work and try to place it so I can have a look tonight with my telescope. :-D

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

sorry for the confusion... it is very late for me, lol so it might be harder for me to make sense...

Its occurring at night, whatever is being seen... is happening at night....

all I was trying to say was... it cant be mars cos its current location is only during the day time hours... not night...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
It's Betelguese.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by pazcat
It's Betelguese.

en.wikipedia.org...

* Betelgeuse, known alternatively by its Bayer designation Alpha Orionis, is a massive M-type red supergiant star nearing the end of its life. When it explodes it will even be visible during the day. It is the second brightest star in Orion, and is a semiregular variable star.[6] It serves as the "right shoulder" of the hunter it represents (assuming that he is facing the observer), and is the eighth brightest star in the night sky.[7]

Can you see Orion's Belt? That part of the constellation is the most visible.
If so, yes, it would be Betelgeuse, upwards, towards your left.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Can the OP get a picture of this red flashing thing in the sky....?

Its likely one of the closer planets you're looking at but again i don't know....

Picture please!1...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Oh wow look at all the replies! last night(or early Wednesday AM) after i posted my thread I ended up watching Alex Jones youtube thread which i stumbled upon after trying to lookup some Japan Earthquake videos(nuclear situation, and HAARP for fun) after I waited about 15 mins with no replies. Looks like i left too soon! Well not really... the board was strangely really dead last night after 1 AM hence why i went a you'tubing.

To answer one question I was looking at the red star/planet with the naked eye, not using a telescope. As i had mentioned it was red in colour, and seemed to pulse/flicker, and over the course of that first hour i had taken notice to it, it had moved fairly quickly as compared to the other stars and Moon in the sky. I had an eye on it for about another 30-45 mins after i posted, and then lost track of it when i got to involved in whatever video(s) i was watching at the time. When i did remember to look out my window and try to located it i had no idea where it ended up. there was a tiny bit of forecast off in the distance towards the west so it is possible that it was hidden behind it, however what forecast there was, was very transparent and i could see the other stars threw it, so i don't know...

@chefc14 thnx for the video post. hmmm..it's a but hard to tell with that video because it is so zoomed in on whatever it's watching i can only make out a blurry red light. however it is possible that it resembles whatever i saw.

@maarts69za nice pic! what is that rolling line going up and down across the sky when u zoom out? did someone say it was camera flare? cool outcome either way. my sky wasn't that exciting looking! haha. just a nice clear night with all the usual suspects(stars, big dipper, the Moon and it;s ever changing shadow) with the edition of this new object.

@SixX1874 nice story. i went out onto my balcony at one point to stare at it once i noticed how quickly it seemed to be moving compared to everything else in the sky. i am sure it a planet/star/dwarf?, some kind of heavenly body anyways, but there were a couple times i thought i actually could see it slowly creeping across the sky. it was strange.

@EvolEric cool thanks for the info. that might be it!? i have no idea lol. i have never heard of that star before, and actually only know how to spot the big dipper(little ones tricky) and the North Star. So Arcturus would be visible to me then in the west at my location at 1 AM?

@snowspirit i don't know where Orion's Belt is! lol. however thanks for explaining what that word means finally! Betelguese(and thanks for bringing it up pazcat). i have seen this word a few times recently here on ATS and had no idea what it meant, and was wondering what it was referring to. i have no idea why i never actually googled it because it did grab my attention. i thought of Beetlejuice right away of course lol.

@Akragon no it was early Wednesday morning after midnight i first noticed this object, and then i posted this thread around 1:30 AM. i attempted to get a pic on my cell phone camera, but the Moon's light washed it out in the pictures(i only have a camera in my cell so it's not the best for night time pictures of the sky though anyways).

and Yay! i just noticed the sky cleared up from the clouds we had all day today(it rained and was +4! spring is here lol). i am going to try and located the object again tonight which hopefully shouldn't be too hard since it was directly in front of me and under the Moon last night when I saw it. I will keep you guys posted!!

PS. What would cause a 'heavenly body"(whatever it is) to move across the sky faster then other stars/the Moon? i guess that would mean it is closer then the objects it appears to be moving faster then??

top topics

<<   2 >>

join