It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Current animated Jet Stream..NUCLEAR FALLOUT

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I was wondering where and when the nuclear fallout was going so I started researching the jet stream. From what I can tell there is no rhyme or reason to it's consistency. But at least we can tell where it is. It looks like the winds from the time of the first explosion will be hitting the west coast of the US tomorrow (wednesday the 16th)
Some good news.....Looks like there is an area of no wind behind the first explosion and over the second and third. Meaning that the radiation may not reach the US as quickly. May be bad news depending on how you look at it as it may mean the radiation will drop into the ocean and contaminate the world instead of blanketing the US.

Get your kelp everybody!

If you punch in 3 or 4 days at 6 hour intervals you can get a pretty good picture of where the winds will take the fallout

squall.sfsu.edu...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
The jet stream is at altitudes of about 30,000 feet and higher. At this stage of the crisis there is no reason to expect radioactive material to be reaching that height. It would take a very large explosion cause that to happen. That sort of even has not occurred.

Material from the Japanese reactors will be influenced mostly by lower level winds.
edit on 3/15/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I don't really understand what people mean when they say this, I know its probably very simple to grasp but I'm kind of confused. So, why exactly does it have to reach that altitude in order to be carried over here?

and just so i understand this whole wind pattern thing (not a science person, i'm an art person so science and maths and things jsut make me go blank) what exactly is the efffect of low level winds carrying the radiation over here? If it does I mean. I'm cautious but I'm not panicking like a lot of people are
edit on 15-3-2011 by onyx718 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by onyx718

The jet stream is a high altitude, high speed wind which crosses the Pacific. Lower level winds (the ones that would carry the radioactive material) are more chaotic and much slower. This give the material more time to disperse and become more diluted (like stirring a drink). While it can be carried across the ocean by lower level winds, by the time it reaches populated areas its concentration will be greatly reduced, to harmless levels.

Here is an image of what those lower level winds typically look like across the Pacific. I know it's a little confusing to look at, the "arrows" are pointing in the direction of the wind flow. Notice that right now there is a low pressure area to the east of Japan creating a circular wind pattern. The material being emitted now will be trapped by that and slowly carried to the northeast, dispersing as it does so.
Surface Analysis

edit on 3/16/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by onyx718

i'm no meteorologist either, but I'm not taking any chances. I know Cali's FEMA guy said don't worry and some other talking head said "There's no reason to get iodine" and the post above says the explosions weren't high enough, but this situation is sick. That amount of radiation is gonna effect the planet. In every disaster of this magnitude, initially the media and powers that be understate the emergency level (initially and thereafter (katrina haiti, Hiroshima.)
You are in my prayers people of Japan.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by onyx718

The jet stream is a high altitude, high speed wind which crosses the Pacific. Lower level winds (the ones that would carry the radioactive material) are more chaotic and much slower. This give the material more time to disperse and become more diluted (like stirring a drink). While it can be carried across the ocean by lower level winds, by the time it reaches populated areas its concentration will be greatly reduced, to harmless levels.

Here is an image of what those lower level winds typically look like across the Pacific. I know it's a little confusing to look at, the "arrows" are pointing in the direction of the wind flow. Notice that right now there is a low pressure area to the east of Japan creating a circular wind pattern. The material being emitted now will be trapped by that and slowly carried to the northeast, dispersing as it does so.
Surface Analysis

Harmless levels Phage?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by dangerish

You understand that potassium iodide only offers some protection from a single radioactive isotope don't you?

If you don't you should learn more about what you plan on putting in your body, why, and if there may be unpleasant side effects.

This is not anywhere near a global disaster.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Well it depends on the amount of material released. But perhaps you should consider this, the Pacific Proving Grounds. The same winds carrying more of worse stuff.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Perhaps. Hey could you also put some posts up on here about the tradewinds, the ocean currents and the speedy recovery rate of thyroid cancer. Anything from that fountain of naysaying knowledge of yours will do. As long as the people who want to know where the nuclear fallout is going can see it at the top of recent post, I'm content. Like I said, I don't pretend to be an expert in anything (I'm a jack of all trades) but I do think the situation is MUCH more detrimental than you make it out to be. But thanks for picking my post to pick at today.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   

I know a lot about the tradewinds but I don't really see what ocean currents have to do with it. There's a lot of Pacific Ocean water for a bit of fallout to spread out in.
But hey, you ain't special. I've been discussing things in much more depth with Yummy Freelunch.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thank you Phage, for bringing clarity and understanding to a situation which could easily be misunderstood.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Ok, so I have a few questions (probably stupid questions to you guys but I'm going to ask it anyways because I'd like to know).
Say the radioactive particles get into the jetstream/wind above the pacific. Even if they don't reach the USA would they dissipate/dissolve/degrade in the water? Would it harm the birds in the air & fish in the sea and would it spread in the water? I don't eat seafood because I'm just not into the taste of it but would it contaminate Pacific seafood? Could any of the animals that might die from it was up on shore and have other animals eat them and then get a little contaminated?
Feel free to rip me apart for being new and not knowing but I would like to know the answers if anyone might have any.
Thank you for your time,
~feeling clueless

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Yes Phage, please continue to ease our fears of the impending disaster....we look to you for numbness in numbers and external links. Show us the way of google enlightenment in these dark times. I don't want to believe in conspiracies anymore, and I don't want to see things for what theyre worth. No, I want to pour over information when I am faced with something unbelievable and lose myself in website reason.

No phage, you're smart, and I appreciate the knowledge you bring to the table, but there's no way this isn't bigger than you make it out to be. At leasssst we have not been given enough/accurate information about the amount of radiation being spilled. This is a major problem that continues to worsten. Now is not the time for quieting important info.
edit on 16-3-2011 by dangerish because: to add the iodine bit.

I said kelp not potassium iodate. Have some in your soup, It's very beneficial
Everyone, if you get sick to your stomach after eating kelp or taking potassium iodate, you probably have to much salt in your diet.

edit on 16-3-2011 by dangerish because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Wouldnt China get a huge dose of radiation before us, isn't it closer? I asked two different doctors in my area (well, three really) about this, had they been contacted by any agencies regarding possible radiation illness in our area (middle America) and they looked at me like I were crazy. I get that a lot, but really, I just do not see how what's happening in Japan is going to reach the midwest and cause any problems. I am skeptical it will reach/cause problems in West Coast.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by kittendaydreamer

Asking questions is good. Jumping to conclusions before asking questions, not so much. Your questions cannot be definitively answered but based on history (Three Mile Island, Chernobyl, nuclear weapons testing) some very educated guesses can be made.

If the radioactive material somehow gets to the jet stream it is 6 miles above the ocean. Some of it would gradually settle out to lower levels where it would be caught by lower level winds and swirled around and diluted with the air at those lower levels. Some of those diluted amounts would fall into the ocean where they would be further diluted by the vast amounts of seawater.

In the event that a meltdown occurs in one or more of the reactors, dangerous levels of radiation will (ok, will probably) be restricted to an area of less than 1,000 miles around the location of the reactors. Due to ocean currents, the fallout in the ocean would disperse fairly rapidly. Fallout on land would be a problem for a longer period of time and would affect human an animal life for years.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I found my old fall out detector. I wonder if this thing actually works and at what point the balls fall.

Here is a link to one, on someone elses web page. I have been carrying this thing around for almost 40 years.
Maybe I will need to actually use it!

Nu-Klear fallout detector

SMR

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Does it really work ? Looks like one of those gizmos you used to see on the back page of comic books along side the X-ray glasses

Seems like a lot of "observation" to see if and when with that thing.
edit on 3/16/2011 by SMR because: cant tell you

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Ok, thank you for the information.
Sorry I tried to make it sound like a question I should have put if in between Say & the so it seemed less like I came to a conclusion. I'll do better next time I post...although I hope to read more than post, I generally mess up what I'm trying to say

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by SMR

It works. Works by static. The balls in this thing have been suspended as long as I have had it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join