It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Electrical Substation Fire in Arizona Leaves 50,000 Customers Without Power.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 02:49 AM
link   
A fire started at 2:30 AM in a substatoin located at 35th Avenue and Yorkshire Drive, the cause of the fire is still unknown. This latest fire has hightened "APS' energy watch indicator" to red alert early this morning, indicating to customers their need to cut on power use. 50,000 customers lost power only for a few hours, but up to 13,000 were without power until 8:45AM.

No rolling blackouts today but power companies still urge conservation
A July 4 substation fire cut the Valley's capacity to import electricity by 20 percent and a June 14 power line short near 115th Avenue and Union Hills Drive caused 65,000 homes to experience rolling blackouts that day. APS also shut down the Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station for a week.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Homeland Security had been notified but terrorism is not suspected at this time. After the July 4th fire in another substation, power had to be reconfigured to allow more electricity into the area.

Is it just me or do we keep seeing more and more of these fires around oil refineries and electrical stations? I have also noticed how the latest of these fires start early in the morning, when everyone is still sleeping.

Fires threaten electrical lines
But temperatures above 100 could be a major problem today in Phoenix. Two high-voltage transmission lines that bring power into the Phoenix area are in fire areas in Northern and Central Arizona. And Phoenix's Valley of the Sun is still suffering from an unrelated weekend fire that destroyed transformers at a major switching substation.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Not all the fires occur in the early hours, quite a few are unrelated to the wildfires that are still raging in Arizona.

Related News

Fire Breaks Out At APS Substation

Fire causes Sun City substation shutdown

[edit on 21-7-2004 by Muaddib]

[edit on 7-21-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I live in Phoenix and it seems weird to me. News reports are purposely vague.
The level of distress that lack of electricity , in Phoenix, would cause when the temps are hovering around 110 is pretty sobering.
I'm remaining a bit "on guard".
joey

new topics

join