It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese Emergency: Global Financial Implications and What We Should Be Talking About(Please read)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I would hope it never went that far but seeing as were are in uncharted waters I had to ask.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

Uncharted waters indeed.

Things are gonna be weird for a while. Geithner and Benny the douche are convinced nothing bad can happen on their watch..Even though both of these men are responsible for economic destruction of their own.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dance4Life

I am not worried, just an opinion.

Good luck

An opinion I hope is reflected in reality instead of what I believe is going to happen. Seriously man, as I said, I like being comfortable...I'm in no hurry to give that up.
edit on 16-3-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

I agree Japan would slit their bellies side to side than to crawl or swim over to China.. on a different Note...
edit on 16-3-2011 by mikeybiznaz because: deleating irrelevent material

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
One problem beyond the Japanese debt situation is that the very "Japan Inc." model of economic prosperity is no longer viable, and hasn't been for years. The model of a mercantailist industrial nation selling hard goods made with cheap energy and labor inputs to a creditworthy, wealthy west is deader than dead.

I'll take a "contrarian" point of view and look on the bright side. Consider the possible -- without the quake, the Japanese economy would have continued to rot. With the economy, the edifice gets torn down that much quicker and its easier to rebuild. Japanese history is full of catestrphes followed by "resets" and vigorous recoveries. Look what the country managed in the second half of the 20th century, after being bombed to a near moonscape in the 1940s.

I'm in Tokyo right now because I believe in Japan, and I believe that once they burp up the deadwood they will roar back, posing incredible business and investment opportunities. And there is no better time to get in on the ground floor then when everyone else is leaving in a panic.

"The time to buy is when there's blood in the streets."
- Baron Rothschild, 18th century
edit on 3/16/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by mikeybiznaz

Not much of a Clancy reader..Care to expand?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by Amaterasu

I can guarantee the reset will cause starvation, riots, and misery as well. The difference is I don't think I can control the world and how it works with theories. Nor do I think I can prevent the natural consequences of human actions.

*I* surely don't think anyone can control the world with theories. Implementation, on the other hand, is another story. *I* don't think I can prevent the natural consequences of human actions, either. But I DO think that the ideas empower Humans to take control above and beyond the System they are presently entangled in - through action. And through this action we can avoid starvation, riots, death and misery. The difference is that I'm willing to take action, by spreading my ideas, to avoid these.

John Maynard Keynes worked on his theories for decades, and we're seeing the breakdown of Keynes economic theory today. Einstein worked on his theories from the late 19th to the mid 20th century and not but 60 years later many of his theories are being turned on their heads.

So? Because others have had issues is irrelevant to my ideas. And yes, Einstein's work is going the way of Newton's. For this reason, the negentropic aspect of plenum energy is being accepted more and more.

Have you read The Ethical Planetarian Party Platform...?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

I agree with you entirely. But Japan is going to suffer greatly. And the world is on shaky economic ground right now. Japan selling bonds would benefit Japan quite a bit, at least for a short while unless they can figure out what to do next, and they will.

The problem I have, and I don't want to sound selfish, is how this will affect the US and the prosperity here which will spider out to any nation tied directly to our economic prosperity..

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I am gonna throw my two sense in here..I didn't by into the OP original post until I read what Tim Geihtner said
liar
(I may spelled it wrong) then I turned a 180. (If anyone needs clarification on what I mean ...read between the lines)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
The Nikkei has opened on the up

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Japan and USA at war been 20 years since I read it, cant remember why the conflict, ....seems Authors have an uncannied Insight.
_________________________________________________________________________________________
This scenario doesnt apply my apologies
edit on 16-3-2011 by mikeybiznaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ADUB77

Of course it did the BOJ just pumped in nearly 200 billion in cold hard moolah.

Edit:

I don't worry about day to day movements of equities indexes. They are easily and often manipulated by governments to make people feel better. That is, of course, until the money runs out.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   

I ran a google search for it..

It's just more of that Zeitgeist Movement star trek economy tripe.

Sorry, not interested. Come back in 200 years and maybe you'll have a shot at it.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
i was curious as to why gold was down on Tuesday as much as it was. The reason I thought that it might have fallen was due to perhaps the market anticipating the Japanese needing having to to sell off some in order to finance reconstruction and thus increasing the overall amount available to the market.

Bernake is evil. Hedge funds are evil.

We need some true leadership in this country, who have the best interests of regular old working people at heart and not people who are only concerned with looking like they give a darn when it benefits THEM.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I think I edited my Clancy post out my apologies as it doesnt apply
thanks for your consideration

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Japanese Financial Crisis Puts World on Edge

Fears over the escalating nuclear crisis in Japan overtook financial markets around the globe Tuesday, pushing stocks and other investments lower. The Japanese stock market lost 10 percent of its value, and Wall Street dropped steeply before bouncing back.

The Japanese Nikkei average fell to its lowest level in nearly two years after the country's prime minister said four crippled reactors at a nuclear power plant on the country's devastated coast were leaking dangerous amounts of radiation.

In the U.S., the Dow Jones industrial average fell almost 300 points at the opening bell. The futures market, which can indicate how stocks will perform, looked so ugly before trading began that the New York Stock Exchange invoked a special rule to smooth volatility.

Japan May Sell U.S. Treasuries After Earthquake, Brown Brothers’ Thin Says

Japan may sell some of its foreign holdings, including U.S. debt, to finance increased spending after the country’s strongest earthquake left millions without electricity or water, according to Brown Brothers Harriman & Co.

“The scope for, again, massive fiscal spending, seems to be there,” Win Thin, the firm’s head of emerging-markets strategy at Brown Brothers in New York, said in a Bloomberg radio interview on “Bloomberg Surveillance” with Ken Prewitt. “If they have to raise these funds domestically, they may have to sell some of their holdings elsewhere.”

uh oh.

NCSU economist: Japan may sell some U.S. debt

(RALEIGH) -- It is still too early to measure the entire effect of Japan's earthquake on the U-S economy. But NC State University economics professor Mike Walden said there will definitely be some effect.

"They are an enormous economy. They, of course, were the big focus of our competition about two decades ago. They've kind of been supplanted by China, but there are all kinds of economic relationships between the U.S. and Japan, not just things we buy from them but we have producers here that sell to Japan," said Walden.

Forget Nuclear Meltdowns —Think Bond Market Meltdowns

While the mainstream media have jumped at the opportunity to report on possible nuclear meltdowns in Japan, alerting Americans on the west coast to beware potential radiation (and are also likely to use the opportunity to push an anti-nuclear energy agenda), they have wholly ignored the more critical impending meltdown: that of the Japanese bond market, which would have a severe impact on the American market.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
The only idiots out there that doesn't think this is even a possibility is Ben Bernanke and Timothy the Tax Cheat Geithner.

They've been WRONG about everything, EVERYTHING, since they were given the the keys to the US economy. Who in their right minds besides government stooge robots would believe anything these morons say?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
There are NO US bond sales until next week...And a lot could happen between then and now. If Japan gets ahead of the US Treasury and sells them off they will have cut the US government off from financing their own debt directly auction. This would not be good as the buyers who would otherwise buy from the US would instead buy from Japanese insurance companies and the the Bank of Japan.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

I ran a google search for it..

It's just more of that Zeitgeist Movement star trek economy tripe.

Sorry, not interested. Come back in 200 years and maybe you'll have a shot at it.

[smile] That we can do it now is of no interest to you? That's an open mind, indeed. Though a fair amount of what is in my ideas was inspired by the Zeitgeist Movement, there are radical departures too.

Well, you take that brain so tightly held that not a drop is in any way at risk, and go your merry way, then. Thank you for the discourse.

EDIT to add: Any of you who are interested in contemplating my ideas, please read The End of Entropy (first) and The Ethical Planetarian Party Platform. They are linked in my sig. If you think they will work, pass them on. If we do this we can do this.

edit on 3/16/2011 by Amaterasu because: add

Tired eyes
edit on 3/16/2011 by Amaterasu because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   

I've studied very closely what the Zeitgeist people propose.

While it is a wonderful and idealistic prospect it is not rooted in reality. It is wishful thinking.
I wish you luck in your endeavor to convince people of the merits of this idea, but please understand
that so long as you have humans involved, there will be a breakdowns, there will be entropy.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join