It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama wants felony charge for downloading copyrighted material on internet

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Gee what a surprise when Obama is a puppet of those scumbags at the RIAA.

Obama Taps 5th RIAA Lawyer to Justice Dept.

Obama, like his handlers, hate freedom on the internet, it's a threat to their objectives of total control of information.

White House Wants New Copyright Law Crackdown

The White House today proposed sweeping revisions to U.S. copyright law, including making "illegal streaming" of audio or video a federal felony and allowing FBI agents to wiretap suspected infringers.

In a 20-page white paper (PDF), the Obama administration called on the U.S. Congress to fix "deficiencies that could hinder enforcement" of intellectual property laws.

• The White House is concerned that "illegal streaming of content" may not be covered by criminal law, saying "questions have arisen about whether streaming constitutes the distribution of copyrighted works." To resolve that ambiguity, it wants a new law to "clarify that infringement by streaming, or by means of other similar new technology, is a felony in appropriate circumstances."

Felony for this is ridiculous.

And more Patriot Act use/wiretapping extension....

• Under federal law, wiretaps may only be conducted in investigations of serious crimes, a list that was expanded by the 2001 Patriot Act to include offenses such as material support of terrorism and use of weapons of mass destruction. The administration is proposing to add copyright and trademark infringement, arguing that move "would assist U.S. law enforcement agencies to effectively investigate those offenses."

And the implication of more of those Homeland Security goons in the process :

• Under the 1998 Digital Millennium Copyright Act, it's generally illegal to distribute hardware or software--such as the DVD-decoding software Handbrake available from a server in France--that can "circumvent" copy protection technology. The administration is proposing that if Homeland Security seizes circumvention devices, it be permitted to "inform rightholders," "provide samples of such devices," and assist "them in bringing civil actions."

Yay, Obama going AGAIN against the freedom and liberties of the average Americans, siding with those scumbags at the RIAA, who are themselves working for the big editor industry, which themselves are screwing the artists, hiding the real talents in their shadow while producing whole sale crap like Transformers movies and the like... (sorry but I hate that twit Michael Bay)....

Time for Anonymous to start attacking those bastards at the RIAA...
edit on 15-3-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I seen this coming. I think they have a long list of suspects already.

I would suggest downloading TrueCrypt and securing those hard drives.

But to be completely honest, there isn't much worth downloading nowadays anyway. Media has taken a turn for the worse since big business ruined most of it. Ill just play my guitar and bang on some drums.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Ahhh.... It's enough to make you weep.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I guess they will have the "Old Sparky" ready for me
I would prefer a firing squad though.
2nd.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
The New Boss isn't so different from the Old Boss after all. From what's going on you'd hardly know the difference if GW or Barry O is in the office. Its probably because no matter who sits in the office they all report to the same Big Bo$$ - the corporations.

The hidden "gotcha" in this is the huge expanse in wiretap powers it gives the FBI. If this goes through all they have to do is claim they suspect you might have downloaded a Bon Jovi song in '95 to wiretap you. Not even any proof you did - they can just "suspect" and get wiretap.

edit on 15-3-2011 by Frogs because: me no spull 2 gud

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

THERE IS NOT ONE FREE COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
edit on 15-3-2011 by RRokkyy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Wait...all things aside. If I create something and wish to use the internet to disseminate it to the widest audience; should I not be subject to receive some type of royalties on it?

I am all for a free and open internet. Where communication flows freely and ideas are contested and debated. I am against theft of original works of art or science in which I have toiled day in and day out to accomplish. Only to be stolen and used by someone as their own or disseminated amongst the masses as free and open ideas.

There is a difference here. If I have an idea; I want it protected not only for the money that could come with such an idea, but also for the rest of everyone else. Investors, buyers...etc are interested in what is new and orignial. Well...its not original if it is being stolen and distributed without my consent.

It sounds greedy and selfish, but it really isn't. Protected ideas lead to greater innovation and allows a wider base for people to participate.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

I agree with you, thieves should be held accountable.

But a felony? Come on. That's grand theft auto for stealing a skateboard.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I'm still not sure how you can copyright a song. If I play my CD in the open, are others who hear it stealing the music? if I copy the CD onto a cassette because my car only has a tape deck, is that theft? If I loan my CD to a friend who rips the songs onto his computer, am I an accessory to theft? What if he plays them for the public via an MP3 player? What about cover bands? I've heard some dudes who sound exactly like the Eagles, you could swear that they were just playing an Eagles live album and faking the motions. And then there are certain politicians who use certain musician's songs against the wishes of the musicians, even when ordered to cease and desist. Is that theft? 'Cause neither Ronnie Reagan or Sarah Palin wound up in jail. Oh! What about sampling? Is P. Diddy in trouble for lifting beats from Led Zeppelin? 'Cause those guys are really stingy with their use permission.

If you put hte KISS logo on a shirt and sell it, that's copyright infringement. But if you dress up like KISS, and sell KISS songs as perfect reproductions as a cover band, that's not. So why is it theft if I were to accept a KISS song from a friend over MSN?

Makes no sense.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   

I want felony charges brought on those who fail to warn the public of an incoming radioactive plume over the Pacific........No warning is criminal

Back on Topic

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Something tells me that when one of his snot nosed little kids accidentally (purposely) download
a copywritten song/book/movie/article off of the internet,
they are somehow not going to be charged with a felony!

They have a word for governments that have a separate set of rules for themselves than the people.
anyone???
Bueller?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
There are a lot of kids on the internet under the age of 16 who download and stream stuff.
Are they going to open a kiddy jail to hold all the minors?

Honest to God the world is getting more ridiculous by the day.
There is not one movie or stupid song that is worth being fined for let alone going to jail for.
The only ones who are going to suffer are the new artists who have shifted their marketing online because people will be switching off.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
We can all place some of the blame on Lars Urlich for making such a public fuss about this a few years back.

I always knew there was a reaon I never liked Metallica.

Now, bring on Slayer!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
This is just a cover up.
They dont care about the copy right laws.
Its all about the wire taps.
Its always about the wire taps
Im streaming right now, good movie by the way.

EDIT: I forgot to give you a star and flag, this is important news I feel.

edit on 16-3-2011 by Dr Cosma because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Just more laws to keep the prisons full. I think its about time that politicians, that promise something then do the opposite thing once they are elected. They should be put in prison for fraud.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I dont think they are actually worried about copyrights.

Considering that a lot(if not the vast majority) of internet users download music and movies, that law would allow the FBI to wiretap almost every US citizen.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Ridiculous.. At the rate they're making everything a "crime" there in amerika .. Next they"ll fence the border and erect gaurd towers as everyone will be "guilty" of something.. How sad...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Hey Obama,.... S*** THESE NUTS!
Your friendly neighborhood felon.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I thought it WAS already a felony and a $250,000 fine if you downloaded, copied, public viewing for profit, and the selling of pirated copies? Did Stalin's brother from another mother forget that? Ignorance is bliss i guess.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
If this is the case then Obama should be in jail for plagarism, because nothing he reads off the telepromters is of his own information

Does the insanity ever stop

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join