It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outside Right Now

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I think in middle school they told us it is indicitive of rain? Its just an aura around the moon formed by particles in earths atmosphere

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I saw that the other night while taking the trash out - it was very cool!

I didn't know it was a global thing, but just thought it had to do with the cloud cover around my parts.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by misfitofscience
WOW! what kind of natural phenomena are we seeing? They are not clouds as the ring has not moved one single bit yet.

It's moonlight passing through high altitude ice crystals that are of similar size and shape. More here.

Keep an eye out for moon-dogs. They are a bit more rare than moon halos, but seeing a halo makes it a lot more likely that you will see them as part of the display.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Australiana

Some old guy once told me that a ring around the moon means it will rain in 3 days. Watch if it rains in 3 days.

I'm in Southern Cali and I can't see the moon right now because it's raining.
Sorry, can't prove your claim :/
edit on 19-3-2011 by Lionhearte because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by C.H.U.D.

Originally posted by misfitofscience
WOW! what kind of natural phenomena are we seeing? They are not clouds as the ring has not moved one single bit yet.

It's moonlight passing through high altitude ice crystals that are of similar size and shape. More here.

Keep an eye out for moon-dogs. They are a bit more rare than moon halos, but seeing a halo makes it a lot more likely that you will see them as part of the display.

finally, someone who knows a thing or two.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Binky21

ya i saw the ring around the sun yesterday and hjave only remembered seeing this one other time around the sun and have never seen this ring before 6 months ago and i am 41. Same with the moon, i have never seen this in my previous40 years but have seen moon ring lately as well.A few people said oh yeah I saw that before, and I say when then, cant remember then I call bullsh t. Prove to me with a photo and a date on it that this happened along time ago or i call BS again. This is something new

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by canadiancatfoodforcrocadi
reply to post by Binky21

ya i saw the ring around the sun yesterday and hjave only remembered seeing this one other time around the sun and have never seen this ring before 6 months ago and i am 41. Same with the moon, i have never seen this in my previous40 years but have seen moon ring lately as well.A few people said oh yeah I saw that before, and I say when then, cant remember then I call bullsh t. Prove to me with a photo and a date on it that this happened along time ago or i call BS again. This is something new

Uh, okay,

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

Took me ten seconds.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by NyxOne

you want a browni badge jolly good mate I was just sayin never seen it along time ago and would like to see some old footage but many of you have to resort to ridicule or make fun of someone on the fact that they you know something we dont and somehow that makes you superior , let me guess American right? if not might as well be one

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by canadiancatfoodforcrocadi

Actually there is plenty of evidence that moon halos existed before you saw them.

Here's a photograph from 2003 and another from 2000.

There are even earlier reports of moon halos too.

The Dutch weather amateurs journal Onweders, Optische verschijnselen, that was published

between 1880-1961 contains plenty of observations of atmospheric optical phenomena.

submoon.wordpress.com

It also includes observations of moon halos (or "Wreaths").

Nogmaals wordt er op gewezen, dat de krans om de zon, zoowel als die om de maan, uit min of meer gekleurde cirkels bestaat. Is de cirkelvorm niet te herkennen, dan is het verschijnsel green krans.Omtrent kransen om de maan zijn van 51 stations 363 berichten ontvangen, -- welke in table X zijn samengevoegd, -- over 112 dagen verdeeld.

Google translation:
Again it is pointed out that the halo around the sun, the moon as well as those from more or less colored circles. The circle shape is not recognized, then the phenomenon of green garland.Wreaths on the moon 51 stations of 363 messages - which are combined in table X, - spread over 112 days.

click here and scroll down to p56

Terwijl te Nijmegen de maan van 9.15-9.22 n.m. door Ci. Cu. bedekt was, werd behalve de kring ook een boogje met de bolle zijde naar de maan gekeerd gezien. Sporen van de vertikale kolom door de maan werden te Terbregge van 7-7.10 n.m.en te 's Gravenhage van 7.4-7.10 n.m. waargenomen.

Google translation:
While in Nijmegen's moon 9.15-9.22 nm Ci. Cu. was covered, but the circle was also an arch with the convex side facing the moon seen. Traces of the vertical column by the moon were to Terbregge nmen 7-7.10 of the Hague of 7.4-7.10 nm was observed.

click here and scroll down to p53

Sun and moon halos are both caused by the same atmospheric conditions (ice crystals in the atmosphere), so they are closely related, and share very similar characteristics. Basically you need thin clouds for halos to form. I don't think there is any doubt that thin clouds, and therefore halos have been around since long before human history began.

Personally I see halos all the time. There was a partial halo around the moon earlier which could just be seen through a small gap in the clouds, and the last time there was a day that wasn't thick cloud from horizon to horizon (the day before yesterday) there was a weak halo/sundog display.

The more you look, the more you see...

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Perfectly natural and beautiful.It`s caused by ice crystals in the atmosphere.Same happens sometimes to the sun.If the conditions are just right, and you keep your eyes peeled you will notice lots of wonderful natural things around you each day

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by testradio

This happens all the time during winter here in Norway.

edit on 1-5-2011 by juleol because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by misfitofscience

that happens several times in winter in southern australia,looks good too

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I shot this 2 years ago in Columbus OH around Thanksgiving, (makes sense, it was getting colder out), then I went to Pittsburgh and saw one at least 10 times more prominent, and it showed through the clouds too. but this is all I have. Moon Halos are very common in Pittsburgh skies, I see them almost every time I go there except in the summer.

The green is lens flair. Exposures were about 2 seconds or more each shot as you can see it's focus isn't great.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

Technically, what you have there is not a halo but a lunar corona.

Unlike halos and arcs, which are caused by light passing through ice crystals, coronas are caused by particulates in the air, which includes ice crystals, but also other things like pollen.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join