It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mag 4 Earthquake shakes North QLD coast line (Australia) with more expected

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
SOURCE

There are numerous other Australian sources reporting these tremors, but none can be found on the net for some reason? Correct me if I'm exaggerating, but shouldn't this be big news considering Queensland never has quakes, let alone off our eastern coast? Possible correlation with Japan?
I hope this is as bad as it gets.

Central Queensland Seismology Research Group leader Mike Turnbull:
www.brisbanetimes.com.au...
edit on 15-3-2011 by Griffo515 because: added link

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure it's usually only areas on the edge of tectonic plates get earthquakes that are of such a huge size, like the ones in Japan. A couple of years ago in Melbourne we had a 4.5 earthquake. Not sure about Queensland, but most places get small earthquakes occasionally.

Not sure if it could be connected.
edit on 15/3/11 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Nothing Here.

Nothing shown here?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Griffo515

There have been some in Greece, Turkey and Italy too that usgs is not reporting.

hisz.rsoe.hu...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Please post more info if you get it. This could be very important.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Some one on ATS posted this yesterday and I went on to check the ROSE website and it was not showing the tremor on the graph at all.

ps. haha love your avatar! (hope no animals were harmed whilst filming)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I began searching for any records of this last night with no luck at all.

I just did a search for Australian Earthquake Register & found this. www.ga.gov.au...

Thing is I spent 15 minutes + on their site last night & couldnt find a thing.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I found a lot of info on it. Here's one site: www.abc.net.au...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Qld quake 'seismically quiet
Evan Schwarten
March 16, 2011 - 12:44PM
news.smh.com.au...

A small earthquake off Cairns on Tuesday was nothing out of the ordinary and similar events could occur anywhere in Australia, experts say.

The 4.0-magnitude quake was recorded about 30 kilometres offshore from Innisfail, south of Cairns, shortly after 4pm (AEST).

Locals at Russell Heads reported seeing fish jumping out of the water at the time of the quake while residents felt tremors from Cairns to Innisfail, although there were no reports of damage.

James Cook University disaster expert Jon Nott said small quakes occurred across the Australian mainland relatively often but the country was unlikely to experience an event on the scale of the 9.0-magnitude tremor which hit Japan last week.

"The biggest earthquakes tend to occur on plate boundaries but within plates, such as the whole of Australia, we do find that we get plenty of earthquakes," Professor Nott told AAP.

He said quakes could occur anywhere in Australia but were rarely strong enough to cause damage.

edit on 3/15/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Seriously, google Queensland earthquake 2011.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
The floods could have activated and lubricated old fault plains. It happens.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   

HI,

I live here in innisfail, and I felt it also around 4pm. I did not really think anything of till after it happened. My eldest boy was stomping down the steps at the same time, my computer desk started to wobble, I just thought it was from him, lol. Then thought after that I had never noticed anything like that before, when any one else walks down the step's. So I passed it off as my imagination, lol. Then saw later on that night that we had a 4.0 30km off shore right next to us. At 0 depth? I also posted this on quake watch 2011 last night as I was up late.

Hi all, Now its 12:53am here in innisfail, queensland, as you are aware we had a 4.0 magnitude earthquake today, And as I was sitting at my computer watching the series deadwood, I notice a very strange color in the sky, almost like an orange type color glowing through the clouds, as it has been raining again tonight, I just thought it was weird as I have never seen anything like, almost as if the sun was coming up, but from the S/E I tried to get a picture of it, but stupid crappy mobile phone did take a very good shot. Something is not right guys and girls, Very unusual to see the sky lit up like that. I hope the rest of the world stays safe, and wish you all well. Take care all of you please. MP

Then This.

It is now 1:02, and has just faded away? Hope thats a good sign MP

Then I got a reply from puterman

I am not sure that a 4.0 quake would be sufficiently powerful to create the electro-magnetic effects for that BUTm last night I commented to my other half that the moon had an orange tinge to it. It was also very bright so maybe......??

Then I replied.

Ye it would'nt have bothered me, only thing is the moon is on the N/W side of us, and I can not see it, cause heavy cloud cover. EDIT: oh, And i hope your right about the electro storm

Diffidently interesting time's, that's for sure. I did post another comment to someone, who wanted to know what people thoughts on what was going to happen, but that thread has been removed now. I stated in there that nothing will happen, as the date added up to 13, but in numerology there is no 2 digit no.s so it then became 4. Now I have noticed a lot going on for quite a while, , and been watching dates, And the numbers I look out for are, 2's, 5's and 9's. So if anything is to happen, it will happen today 16/3 or 20/3. But what was weird, yesterday it was a 4, and the size of the earthquake was a 4.0 and the time was just after 4pm lol. I now know the asians believe 4 is unlucky. But myself have never really seen to many unlucky catastrophes with the number 4. Thought I might share this with you all. Also I hope nothing happens on these date's, we need a little break I think. Take care

MP

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I have been watching sky news all day and still have not heard anything about this. Maybe the Japanese crisis is more improtant or something.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Because I have'nt been all that happy with USGS of late....

I found this site and does'nt miss a trick:

www.emsc-csem.org...

join