It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surgeon General: Buying Iodide a "Precaution"

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I read on one of the ATS theads (sorry can't remember which one) that Tinture of iodide can
be applied to the forearm once a day for precaution. Has anyone else heard of this?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
Bad form, you changed the title. Should be:

Surgeon General: Buying Iodide a "Precaution"

Little difference, but less impact?

Besides, in the world we live in, it is just plain common sense.

I pulled the title right from Drudge.

Moreover, I quoted the relevant part and even included the actual video of the Surgeon General's comments.
edit on 15-3-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

My apologies, you only passed on a sensationalized headline from Drudge.

I stand corrected.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

My apologies, you only passed on a sensationalized headline from Drudge.

I stand corrected.

Nonetheless, adjusted accordingly.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

Don't you just love it when officials go off message?

There seems to be no shortage of conflicting instruction on this point. Frankly, it may be an overreaction, but if they are easily available, why wouldn't you want them?

Incidentally, for those who cant find a source through the pharmacy. Go to an Asian market and get kelp. Some varieties are an excellent source of iodine.

Here's the video that spawned the controversy,

www.nbcbayarea.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 15-3-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

The chick in that pic looks ugly. And no, I didn't watch the video. Cool story bro.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

The cat in your avatar is the best.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   
There are some sick bstards out there

Potassium Iodine

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I'm in the UK. I have ordered iodide after finding source after source sold out. Also stocked up on other things including kelp. Many of us may be far from the problem but this at the least is going to hike radioactive levels circulating globally. Plus there is always the dirty bomb scenario etc. Most people have insurance in case their home burns down. Yes?
If I am too old to take iodide in an emergency, I'll give it to my younger friends.

Edit - having taken out our insurance imo we should be looking at what we as individuals can do to help those in Japan. I put out a thread on this on another forum and no one responded. So much for 'the earth is one' and 'love and light' crowd.
edit on 16-3-2011 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Anyone have any idea / information with regards to how much a "fresh" can of Iodized salt will help?
I mean, once it's opened, the iodine will evaporate but say a new can taken home last week....

edit on 3/16/2011 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I'm leaving for the California coast in the morning, I don't have any iodide, nor any plans to get any, nor desire to.

The reality is, that even if there is a worst case release, from all damaged reactors, it would likely take days to reach lethal levels on the west coast USA.

And IF that happens, no amount of iodide is going to save ANYONE in the danger zones... What good is your thyroid if the rest of you is doomed from exposure?... This is a horrible lie, people are being given a false sense of protection with these pills, which in fact will NOT save you from serious illness and death from exposure.

Wake up people, and smell the iodide lie for what it really is.

edit on 16-3-2011 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigyin
There are some sick bstards out there

Potassium Iodine

Auction prices and only $150 shipping! And it isn't even the good stuff, it is just Kelp.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

but if idoide and iodine are different how come they're saying topical iodine will work as well...just curious, I'm quite frankly a little confused

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by onyx718

I am a little confused too.

The danger comes from radioactive Iodine. Radioactive Iodine actually has some health benefits, and is used in some thyroid treatments, but it can also cause cancer and/or kill the thyroid gland. Potassium Iodide dissociates in the body to leave free Iodide molecules that will bond to the thyroid receptors and act as a prophylactic and keep out the radioactive Iodine. It lasts for about 24 hours, so it has to be readministered every day.

I have researched the internet, and it seems everyone, even doctors use the terms interchangeably. I think this is a big mistake, because as chemist, I know the two terms are significantly different, but I am not a doctor, so I can't be certain?

Maybe Iodine works also, but I just don't know, and I can't seem to find an answer.

One thing is for sure, Potassium Iodide is the preferred dosage, so that is what I would go with. If all else fails, maybe Iodine is the next best thing?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
They are not to be used before hand, nor much after exposure....are generally indicated when there is a fast moving and positive serious threat. They dont work by building them up, and they dont last over time.

They are indicated at the time prior, during and immediately after extreme exposure.
Stocking up or taking them now serves no purpose and can cause life threatening buildup in the blood.

Of course, purchasing and stocking them ahead of time is a smart idea.
edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: and....

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Wake up people, and smell the iodide lie for what it really is.

What are your qualifications to assert this or on what basis do you make this claim?

Some 'bad form' of your own, eh?

This is what the science says...

Does Potassium Iodide Protect People from Radiation Leaks?

As a precautionary measure against radiation exposure, the Japanese have also distributed 230,000 units of potassium iodide tablets, comprising a stable form of iodine, to evacuation centers in the area around the Fukushima Daiichi and Fukushima Daini nuclear power complexes, according to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA). Potassium iodide, which is available in the U.S. in 130- and 65-milligram doses (smaller doses are given to children), has been shown to protect the thyroid gland from the radioactive form of iodine released by nuclear accidents or emergencies that could lead to thyroid cancer.

Thyroid cancer ended up being the biggest negative health impact caused by the Chernobyl nuclear reactor disaster, according to a report issued last month by the United Nations Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation. The report (pdf) specifies that more than 6,000 Russian, Ukrainian and Belarusian residents who were children at the time of the disaster had been diagnosed with thyroid cancer as of 2006, the disaster's 20th anniversary. Fifteen of these people had died as of 2005. The incidence of thyroid cancer in contaminated areas of the Ukraine and Belarus was triple that of normal thyroid cancer incidence in the area, although the study's authors acknowledge that more attention was paid to medical examinations and improved record-keeping in those areas affected by the Chernobyl event.

The thyroid is like a sponge for iodine. It's been known from the 1970s that if you administer normal iodine the thyroid will absorb it and then block the uptake of subsequent exposures to radioactive iodine. Therefore, if you take potassium iodide and then are exposed to radioactive iodine, there won't be any place for it to go because your thyroid is all filled and the radioactive material will be excreted from the body.

One pill is good for 24 hours, but then you have to take another pill. You don't take two pills at once, because having too much potassium iodide isn't good for you either. Like anything else, it's not 100 percent effective, but it appears to be quite a benign thing to take, and it does block the uptake of radioactive iodine.

As someone who lived in a portion of Western Europe with the highest level of fall-out from Chernobyl, I am grateful to have been associated with a scientist who insisted then I take these supplements. My experience is only anecdotal, but I have had no apparent problems from the radioactive exposure, while I personally know of a few who have-- or at least we all think so.

edit on 16-3-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

edit on 16-3-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

The same sources as yours ie: a 24 hr time frame during and around time of exposure.
I am trained, am medically certified and have the pills in my possession with instructions for 1st Responders (not the general public) and supplied by Homeland Security/FEMA.

Your article is correct. So am I. Re-familiarize when, how soon prior, during, and after, shelf life, and the length 1 dose loses potency.

My point was to "gobble" them up indiscriminately can be hazardous to your health.

Mysterioustranger- AMA CERTIFIED LIFE SUPPORT/1ST RESPONDER

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Okay so it protects you from radioactive iodine, at least your thyroid... What about gamma radiation, cesium, and numerous other radioactive elements which you also WILL be exposed to?

It offers protection only from radioactive iodine/iodide elements by flooding your thyroid with the stable element. It does NOTHING to protect you from exposure to other deadly radioactive elements.

If we only had to worry about radioactive iodide/iodine then yes. this would help... But, I suppose it is more like faith and religion, it is up to the individual as to what they want to believe.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

I haven't disagreed with any of your points.

You are quite right on all accounts. The article I posted and others like it say as much.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Gamma rays are the worst. They penetrate every and any-thing. And really? No amount of pills or taping yourself in your home hiding from them....will help.

Got Gamma? Get gone.........

My CERTIFICATIONS:

*DEARBORN C.E.R.T./COMMUNITY EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
*EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT INSTITUTE, Washington, D.C.
*FIRE ADMINISTRATION, Washington, D.C.
*FEMA / HOMELAND SECURITY, Washington, D.C.
*BIO-DEFENSE NETWORK, REGION 2 SOUTH, Michigan,
*AMA AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
*AMERICAN RED CROSS
*CITIZENS CORP, Washington, D.C.

*AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION:
Certified:
B.D.L.S. Basic Disaster Life Support
Michigan Bio-Defense Network, Region 2 South

*AMERICAN RED CROSS
Certified:
1st Aid
CPR, adult
CPR, child
CPR, infant
AED

*FEMA-HOMELAND SECURITY
Certified:
Emergency Management 1st Responder
Emergency Management Training Institute,
Washington D.C

Certified:
Weapons of Mass Destruction 1st Responder
Nuclear, Biological, Chemical, Radiological
Washington D.C.

FIRE ADMINISTRATION
Certified:
Fire Administration Training
Emergency Management Training Institute,
Washington, D.C.

edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: just one more thing!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join