It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA: Japan Quake shortend the length of days on Earth

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

NASA: Japan Quake shortend the length of days on Earth

www.indianexpress.com

The massive earthquake that struck Japan last Friday was so powerful that it accelerated the Earth's rotation speed, shortening the length of the day by 1.8 microseconds, a new analysis by NASA has claimed.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I find this very disturbing, nothing more to say really

According to scientists at the US space agency, the 8.9-magnitude quake shifted the way the Earth's mass is distributed, which made the planet spin a little faster, cutting the 24-hour day by an estimated 1.8 microseconds. That is less than two millionths of one second.

The initial data suggested that the quake moved Japan's main island about eight feet and shifted the Earth's figure axis, around which the Earth's mass is balanced, by about 17 centimetres, said Richard Gross, a geophysicist at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California.

Earlier, scientists have estimated that the quake has shortened the day by 1.6 microseconds

www.indianexpress.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

news.cnet.com...
edit on 15/3/11 by TedHodgson because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

This is not uncommon for earthquakes, almost all large earthquakes change our day length.
Nothing to see here, move along folks

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
No one will miss those microseconds, Ted. Hell no one will even notice. Just calm down.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Considering 1.8 microsecond less in every day how much day time will we loose in an entire year?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockdisjoint

Your right, its not much, However ive never really looked into the effect that seismic activity had on planet rotation, This isnt that concerning itself but im sure even the slightest change could upset the fragile balance of things

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by thruthseek3r

That's easy, 0.657 seconds.

It will take 91 years and almost 4 months for a one minute difference, so I'm not worried about it.

PS: I may be wrong in my calculations.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

It certainly feels like this. When I finished work this morning, it was still dark outside. However, I recall it being bright 2-3 days ago at the same time!

Perhaps the end of Daylight Savings Time is tricking my mind?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by KevinB

Really, explain to me how common it actually is...

How many have changed the earths tilt, and the speed of time, plus moved the country 8-16 feet? I'd like to hear this one.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
This is the first time I've ever heard of an earthquake doing this. If it is common could someone provide the corresponding information, I would like to have a read through it.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Dendro

Something similar happened with the Chilean earthquake, but, this IS NOT a common phenomenon. It has ONLY happened recently, and IF it has happened in the past, it was few and far between.

There are going to be people coming in here trying to convince you of a reality (theirs) which doesn't exist in the real world. You could tell them that a blind, shaven monkey jumped in the air, did a triple somersault, landed in the splits and snorted a line of coc aine while singing Crazy Train from Black Sabbath, and some idgit will come in and say that its "nothing unusual" and a common occurrence in Saudi Arabia.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I know. Haiti, now Japan? I actually feel that there is a conspiracy from the government to take microseconds away from my sleeping schedule. What Next? Charlie Sheen leaving Two and a half Men?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
considering over 4 years there is enough shift in calendar terms to present an entire full day extra in the leap year

then these events - if they become more regular - can really make a change

although the title - of this topic is totally fox news sensationalism

1.8 milliseconds at best so far data gathered

- for geology and physics - that is still an astonishing shift to witness and see

to the layman - "shortened the length of days on earth" is utter fox news - tosh!

the most sensationalist thing here is that thousands are dead - thousands at risk of dying - and in the end perhaps tens of thousands will suffer - claims such as " length of days" i feel should relaly be hammered by ATS - in view of the facts we can gather - assume or even debate on

what we can debate on is milliseconds

not days!

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Karma2600

It has shortend the length of a day, That is quite an Apt discription of what has happend, and talking above others doesnt make that any less of a fact.

Are you suggesting that the ONLY thing people are allowed to talk about is death?! Death is merely a transition, it should not exalted to be anything more, and the more people like you label it the more it becomes Feard.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I doubt a mere earthquake of even that magnitude could cause THAT many changes in this planet. If you notice, a lot of Earthquakes and volcanic eruptions happened on the same day as the Japanese one. To be honest, I think you guys predicted the pole shift a little late; it already happened. I could be wrong, of course, but that is what I think.

The Japanese catastrophe was just one of the many effects, and to be honest, would they even tell us if a noticeable pole-shift actually happened?

Just something to think about.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

edit on 15-3-2011 by leemachino because: i am an idiot

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Please, ATS members, don't feed the scare-mongerer.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Qcuailon
reply to post by Dendro

Something similar happened with the Chilean earthquake, but, this IS NOT a common phenomenon. It has ONLY happened recently, and IF it has happened in the past, it was few and far between.

There are going to be people coming in here trying to convince you of a reality (theirs) which doesn't exist in the real world. You could tell them that a blind, shaven monkey jumped in the air, did a triple somersault, landed in the splits and snorted a line of coc aine while singing Crazy Train from Black Sabbath, and some idgit will come in and say that its "nothing unusual" and a common occurrence in Saudi Arabia.

Right on!
I was going to mention the same thing, as I was already pondering this before I came across this thread.

The 8.8 Chilean earthquake (February 27, 2010) shortened our days by about 1.26 microseconds, and shifted the earth's axis by 2.7 milliarcseconds (about 8 centimeters, or 3 inches).

What I find interesting is that Islam prophesied that during the last days the length of days would shorten.

I'm not saying to subscribe to Islam, I'm just attentive that the shortening of time is correlated with the "last days."

I don't mean to fear-monger. If one clears their conscious, and opens their heart to global love, forgiveness, and understanding then there is nothing to fear.

Peace.

Chilean Earthquake shortens day and shifts earth's axis.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Davian
Please, ATS members, don't feed the scare-mongerer.

Ok, really? Is this the new trend here on ATS. Is fear-mongering the new fashion? Everyone reporting news or such is a fear-mongerer now? It's starting to get annoying. Where is it in this article, I simply don't see it.

Dude, you must be paranoid!

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I want to be smacked in the face with a legitimate, "there's nothing to worry about."
Two earthquakes a year apart that both shortened time and moved the earth's axis, combined with a moving/shifting magnetic field... is there honestly and sincerely nothing to worry about?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join