It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looting...Or Lack There Of.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan
reply to post by James1982

Someone with priorities other than self interest rations the food. I don't care if it is the community, the police, the church, the military. Point being that scarce resources need to be allocated, not taken by force. What do you suppose folks do when they break into a store to grab some food? Think, well there are other folks who are going to be hungry as well, so I'm only going to take what I need for a couple of days, or are they going to take as much as they can get their hands on? Better to have everyone a bit hungry and a bit thursty than have some folks with a full belly and others starving and the only way to accomplish that is by rationing.

I don't disagree that rationing scarce supplies is a good idea.

But, like I said in my previous post, what if you have a gaping wound and are bleeding to death. Nobody has setup any sort of rationing station. Your only option is to break into a store and get the supplies you need. What are you supposed to do? Sit down outside the store and hope that the police will be along shortly to give you the medical supplies that you need?

While in theory your idea works, but in a real life situation you don't know when, or if, any sort of authority is going to come along and start rationing things. Look at Katrina. Hours after it hit was there stations set up everywhere dispensing food, medical supplies, and water? No. And people died because of it.

But I guess it's OK to die of dehydration or injuries just to make sure you aren't looting!

new topics

<< 1   >>

join