It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please stop the fear mongering about radiation fallout!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
America On Radiation Alert: Japan Faces World's Worst Nuclear Accident Since Chernobyl As Experts Warn Fallout May Reach U.S.
By DAVID DERBYSHIRE, RICHARD SHEARS and DAILY MAIL REPORTER
Last updated at 10:20 AM on 15th March 2011
www.dailymail.co.uk...

The Nuclear Regulatory Commission has admitted it is 'quite possible' the fallout could reach America.
www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
That's not fear mongering. It's fact, and people should prepare.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Japan potentially has 3 Chernobyls plus a MOX. Chernobyl released 400 times more than Hiroshima, but 100 to 1000 times less than all Nuclear testing combined. So, if Japan follows suit with 4 reactors, it will likely still be less than all Nuclear testing combined. However, all that nuclear testing was over decades, not days or weeks.

The effects of the MOX radiation, and the fact that we have 4 reactors in fairly close proximity, and we have a tsunami ravaged country and ongoing earthquakes kind of complicates the situation. I don't think it is possible to exaggerate the potential for harm here. This is one time where fear-mongering is probably to close to accurate.

Four hundred times more radioactive material was released than had been by the atomic bombing of Hiroshima. However, compared to the total amount released by nuclear weapons testing during the 1950s and 1960s, the Chernobyl disaster released 100 to 1000 times less radioactivity.[49] The fallout was detected over all of Europe except for the Iberian Peninsula.[50][51][52]

Wiki

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Yeah it is real bad.

The number 4 reactor building has a pool in the top of it with 800 spent MOX fuel rods and thousands of "regular" rods. They are saying the containment pool is on fire.

Very, Very, Very, bad.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Guess what fellows, if we die, we're dead, and if we survive, we aren't dead, so.. Don't worry just be, it's about all you can do ever.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

I put in order in on Friday for potassium iodide pills. Before the big Saturday rush. With our close proximity to Fermi II it seemed like a good idea to be prepared for any event. Saturday I got an email saying my order had shipped. Today I got an email saying my order was cancelled. Cancelled after it shipped? I would say the government is preparing for possible fallout.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

would also like to point out that used fuel is kept in cooling ponds near and above these reactors. they could be putting out very harmful levels of radiation for months or even years. does a bomb do that?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
Now come on people, Radiation will not fall on California or any of the united states. But for Hawaii, well heck it won’t fall there ether.

The U.S. Surgeon General says different, and it's best to not play the fool in regards to nuclear fallout.

Surgeon General: Buying Iodide a "Precaution"

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by letscit

no i would say a bomb would would do it all at once but what do i know. i really dont think there is anything to worry about here in california

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I realize that a lot of people do not believe that radiation in Japan would have an effect here in the United States, however I would rather be safe than sorry. Others may do as they wish, but keeping an 'ear to the ground' so to speak will do more good than doing absolutely nothing and not being ready just in case. I would rather look silly later than be sick.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by letscit
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

would also like to point out that used fuel is kept in cooling ponds near and above these reactors. they could be putting out very harmful levels of radiation for months or even years. does a bomb do that?

Actually it is according to what type of bomb you are talking about. There are some nukes that have a short radiation span (like weeks or months) others have radiation that pours into the atmosphere for 25,000 years. No radiation is good, and the kind coming from the nuclear plant in Japan can leak for a long, long time (hopefully not as long as 25,000 years) until it lessens enough for someone to seal it up with concrete or something. There are way too many people over there that can be harmed or killed with a leak such as this one. I'm not sure what kind of radiation it is, but it can't be good. I'm pulling for the people.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

Lol!

The radiation is officially already over the US.
Are they not telling you that, over there? They are in the UK - hell, they are even stating we'll get some too.

And as for ther being no radiation from the plethora of nuclear tests...lol, yeah...you just continue to believe that and not bother reading the multitude of evidence from those with degrees and years of experience in the field that prove otherwise.

I'm not even going to bother to add any links as you clearly need to do some serious research for yourself in order to get up to speed on the facts regarding radiation.

Good grief, are there really people that believe nuclear bomb tests don't spread radiation???

*Facepalm*...

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
are people over reacting? yes.
but those weren't nukes we dropped on Hiroshima.Those were atomic bombs.

First off, before people freak, they need to understand radiation.there are many forms of it, some dangerous, some not. Some have a half life of a few days, others thousands of years.

Radiation has now been found in Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Massachusettes, and yes it is from Japan. (and yes, they can tell what source it is from, each plant has its own chemical makeup)

There is radiation in our everyday lives that no one worries about.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Ok just in case this hasn't been explained in layman's terms....

A nuclear bomb burns up its nuclear fuel to create the explosion

A nuclear reactor just emits radiation as there is nothing to burn up the radiative fuel.

Make your own conclusions

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
To the OP: Might want to eat your words because radiation HAS been found in Massachusetts and where I live (New Hampshire) we are expecting 12 inches of snow on Friday, which will most likely be radiated as well.Not too thrilled about that.....

edit on 30-3-2011 by Skippy1138 because: because the radiation made me

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss

Please stop scaring people!

Scared of what? Radiation? Come on... Be scared of what you do, thats the only that counts in the end.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I just noticed something a few moments ago; why would there be two explosions in the desert northwest of Tonopah, Nevada causing a 2.6 and a 2.7 quake at the same time. Strange I just looked back to the stats and now they are separated by 30 mins and one was at .8 km vice on the surface.

I think that summons the question could someone be at the controls playing spin doctor with global stats?

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

Tis true, I'm from the UK and was closer to Chernobyl than the USA is to the Fukashima plant...i don't set off geiger counters and never did. We did have to avoid local lamb for a few weeks, but that was only equivalent to being under a flouroescent 2ft light bulb for 8 hours per lamb dinner. So, please, if you are from the USA, don't panic...diesel fumes are worse. tc all.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Californians will get more radiation from tanning beds, microwave ovens, and cell phones, than they ever will from Japan....

top topics

<< 1   >>

join