It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU recognition of Palestinian state a 'possibility': France

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

EU recognition of Palestinian state a 'possibility': France

news.yahoo.com

European Union recognition of a Palestinian state is a "possibility that should be kept in mind," French Foreign Minister Alain Juppe said Tuesday amid growing disquiet over stalled peace talks.

"There's no point recognising the Palestinian state on our own. It must be done together," Juppe told the parliamentary foreign affairs committee of an eventual recognition by EU countries.

"Personally we're not there yet, I think that it's a possibility that should be kept in mind," he said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
That would be quite a considerable move in international geopolitics, the entirety of the European Union recognizing an independent Palestinian state, joining the ranks of almost all Latin American nations and others throughout the world.

Israel better figure a way to salvage their international reputation before they are no longer an ally and more like a neutral force to Europe.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Until the U.S. makes a stand and recognizes Palestine then I don't think any of this really matter on the basis of how influential Israel is in the U.S. as opposed to Europe. For the U.S. to break away from that influence and stand up for fairness and justice would be monumental and would definitely piss Israel off probably so much so that Israel would do something little such as criticize the U.S. for siding with "terrorists" or do something horrendous as a bombing or such.

The U.S.'s recognition of Palestine is the one I await for.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Till the time USA & Israel do not want to come off their 69 position, peace in the middle east is only a dream.
Why middle east, humanity for one will benefit for sure

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
It's possible the statement is to appease the growing Muslim population in France, currently 10%. Jews make up less than 1%, Christians over 50%.

Only a few months ago the government in France banned wearing the Burqa, which upset a lot of people and pleased others. So it's not clear which 'side' if any they are on.

Perhaps recent events in ME have shifted their position.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
The US will recognize Palestine as an independent state when our leaders are held accountable to this constituency instead of foreign bribes.

I recognize an independent Palestinian state.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigyin
It's possible the statement is to appease the growing Muslim population in France, currently 10%. Jews make up less than 1%, Christians over 50%.

Only a few months ago the government in France banned wearing the Burqa, which upset a lot of people and pleased others. So it's not clear which 'side' if any they are on.

This seems to be the most logical and possible answer. Certainly, it's not for justice or any moral reason after 40 plus years of negligence.

Star for you.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Jordan IS THE PALESTINIAN STATE people. I get really tired of people talking from their hind quarters. Read your history.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ............ zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ................... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzz

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
Jordan IS THE PALESTINIAN STATE people. I get really tired of people talking from their hind quarters. Read your history.

History is only so relevant when defining new borders.

After all, Israel was carved out of lands that had historically been in Arab hands for a very long time. That being one of the more relevant examples.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

I am sorry, but you are wrong. The Jews were the majority in their area prior to the Balfour Declaration.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Dear Misoir,
Thank you for linking this story, I would just like to add that Juppe is not well thought of in French politics so this may actually just be a spin for popularity.

That being said, I fully agree this can only be a good thing, however to your quote:

Originally posted by Misoir
Israel better figure a way to salvage their international reputation before they are no longer an ally and more like a neutral force to Europe.

I don't think that is possible, at least for the educated amongst us who can see beyond the veil. I have nothing but contempt for what Israel has done, let alone for the US governments backing of those actions.

Regards,
T

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigyin

Dear Bigyin,
I don't think the French government or people have any desire to appease the growing, offending and outright non intergrational Muslim population in France. I am french before anyone asks where my comments come from. I've been there, i've lived it and the word on the street is nigh on right wing extremism. Anyway that being said, there is a vast difference between banning the Burqa, symbol of the oppression of women, and wishing to recognise a Palestinian state.

It is very very clear which side France is on. Their own.

Regards,
T

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
reply to post by bsbray11

I am sorry, but you are wrong. The Jews were the majority in their area prior to the Balfour Declaration.

Here is what I get from Wikipedia... could you please post your source, as I am very aware that Wikipedia can be, sometimes rightfully so, questioned.

As I believe the whole "mechanics" of the creation of Israel to be part of the problem, I am very interested in this aspect of history.

In 1922, the League of Nations granted the United Kingdom a mandate over Palestine under terms similar to the Balfour Declaration.[70] The population of the area at that time was predominantly Arab and Muslim, with Jews accounting for about 11% of the population.[71]
The Third (1919–1923) and Fourth Aliyahs (1924–1929) brought an additional 100,000 Jews to Palestine.[62] Finally, the rise of Nazism in the 1930s led to the Fifth Aliyah, with an influx of a quarter of a million Jews. This caused the Arab revolt of 1936–1939 and led the British to cap immigration with the White Paper of 1939. With countries around the world turning away Jewish refugees fleeing the Holocaust, a clandestine movement known as Aliyah Bet was organized to bring Jews to Palestine.[62] By the end of World War II, the Jewish population of Palestine had increased to 33% of the total population.[72]

Wikpedia link

The important parts being that in 1922 Jews accounted for 11% of the population of Palestine, and after WWII this increased to 33%, which is still not a majority.

the Billmeister

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
EU recognition of Palestinian state a 'possibility'

What?????? A posibility??? From what little remains of palestine, these filthy zionists still want to make sure that they hog it all after genociding the palestinians?

The headline itself is indirectly telling us that a palestinian state is very very unlikely to happen.

I think the EU headline should have been:

EU WILL recognize a zionist state from Nile to Eupharates and fully supports the palestinian holocaust

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
It doesn't really matter how many other countries recognise a Palestinian State. Palestine's future will ultimately be decided by Israel, no-one else. It's not like Israel give a rats ass about world public opinion

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
An interesting factor no one still discusses during the recognition stories is the fact the recognitions are only for the PA in the West Bank and not the Hamas government in Gaza.

This is setting up a situation where the UN/NATO sees Hamas as an illegal government that will have to be removed.

new topics

top topics

join