It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Foods that Suppress Iodine Uptake - Goitrogens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I thought I would make a short thread to inform people that some foods/elements/drugs can interfere with iodine absorption. Even if you don't plan on taking iodine supplements or eating sea foliage for when the radioactive particles may come, these are some foods you may not want to eat excessive amounts of until this blows ov... er, I mean away. Of course, this generally applies for when these foods are consumed raw, as cooking will inactivate the Goitrogens.

Did you know that there are certain foods which can affect your thyroid in a negative way?? They are commonly known as Goitrogenic foods, which means they contain substances which prevent your thyroid from getting its necessary amount of iodine. If eaten in excess, they interfere with the healthy function of your thyroid gland, tilting you in the direction of being even more hypothyroid, or making you susceptible to having a goiter, or enlargement of your thyroid. If you look closely at the word itself, you can see the root word is goiter (goitro-gen). Foods which you have to be careful with most revolve around soy-related products and ingredients, as well as certain cruciferous veggies, nuts and some fruits

www.stopthethyroidmadness.com...

Goitrogenic drugs and chemicals

Chemicals that have been shown to have goitrogenic effects include:

* Sulfadimethoxine, propylthiouracil, potassium perchlorate, and iopanoic acid.[1]
* Some oxazolidines such as goitrin.[2]
* Thiocyanate overload in Central Africa, especially if also in conjunction with selenium deficiency.[3] Reliance on cassava as a carbohydrate provides a source of thiocyanate in some areas.[4]
* Ions such as thiocyanate and perchlorate decrease iodide uptake by competitive inhibition and, as a consequence of reduced thyroxine and triiodothyronine secretion by the gland, cause an increased release of thyrotropin (by reduced negative feedback), which then stimulates the gland.
* Amiodarone inhibits peripheral conversion of thyroxine to triiodothyronine; also interferes with thyroid hormone action.
* Lithium inhibits thyroid hormone release.
* Phenobarbitone, phenytoin, carbamazepine, rifampin induce metabolic degradation of T3 and T4.

Goitrogenic foods

Certain raw foods (cooking inactivates the goitrogens) have been identified as lightly goitrogenic. These foods include:

* cassava
* Soybeans (and soybean products such as tofu, soybean oil, soy flour, soy lecithin)
* Pine nuts
* Peanuts
* Millet
* Strawberries
* Pears
* Peaches
* Spinach
* Bamboo shoots
* Sweet Potatoes
* Vegetables in the genus Brassica [5]
o Bok choy
o Broccoli
o Broccolini (Asparations)
o Brussels sprouts
o Cabbage
o Canola
o Cauliflower
o Chinese cabbage
o Choy sum
o Collard greens
o Horseradish
o Kai-lan (Chinese broccoli)
o Kale
o Kohlrabi
o Mizuna
o Mustard greens
o Radishes
o Rapeseed (yu choy)
o Rapini
o Rutabagas
o Tatsoi
o Turnips

Thyroid hyperplasia has been demonstrated in mice:[6]

Despite being generally a stimulant, caffeine (examples: coffee, tea, cola, chocolate) acts on thyroid function as a suppressant.[7] Indeed some studies on rats suggest that excess caffeine in conjunction with a lack of iodine may promote the formation of thyroid cancers.[8]

en.wikipedia.org...

Also, if you are still eating white bread made with bleached flour... stop doing it! The bromine used in the bleaching process can be taken up into the thyroid and cause dysfunction. Not to mention your body will absorb all that tasty radioactive iodine to replace the bromine you acquired from that bread you thought was good for you.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
S+F

now this is the kinda thread that contributes to humanity, not that fearmongering bs everyone else is pushing

THANK YOU! And keep up the Great Work!

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Wait a minute... Wasn't kale being touted as having much iodine? Now it's a bad choice?

What a seesaw! Can't win for losing, I tell you what!

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
10 minutes ago I got an email from CVS telling me they cancelled my order of Iosat Potassium Iodide Tablets, made last sunday.

They said next batch available will be by the end of april.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
You failed to mention flouride antagonism.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by troubleshooter

Good of you to notice, I completely forgot.

You want to avoid fluoride anyway, but chalk that up as another reason to avoid it and another element on our list.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman
10 minutes ago I got an email from CVS telling me they cancelled my order of Iosat Potassium Iodide Tablets, made last sunday.

They said next batch available will be by the end of april.

I put in an order through Amazon on Friday. Received an email Saturday that my order had been shipped and expected arrival date of 3/15/11. Received another email today that my order was cancelled. Cancelled after it shipped. Very nice. I will wait until next month. I only ordered it because I live near a nuclear plant. The news on Friday was they were having trouble keeping reactors cooled got me thinking "what if Fermi could have problems?" The plant near me is over 30yrs old. Then the mad rush on Saturday after things went south quickly at the Japan plants. I guess maybe the government is planning ahead.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Very impressive and informative thread! If I could star more than once I would

It may be worthwhile to add foods that are good to eat, mainly for those you without access to iodine, such as sea vegetables. Dulse and kelp are high in Iodine and both are available in pill and powder forms quite often.

mmmm radioactive vomit

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by OrganicAnagram33

how about over the counter, prescribed meds, that may cause problems

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
that's kind of interesting but more for dietary reasons rather than fear of nuclear fallout, wasn't iodine used for bread until the late 1960s? makes you wonder, doesn't it?

www.cspinet.org...

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by bone13

Do you have any medications in mind?

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Long Lance

Thanks for linking to that article concerning the addition of bromate to flour Long Lance. Pretty nuts that iodine was removed from bread and bromate began to be added.

Bromide and related chemicals mimic iodine and block normal iodine reception in the thyroid gland. Bromide has also been linked to cancer and psychiatric issues. Read more at Suite101: Bromide Exposure Linked to Thyroid Disease: Common Additive in Bread Mimics Iodine www.suite101.com...

Bromate is definitely goitrogenic, and a carcinogen as well. Thanks industrial food system!

From the brief skimming of the internet I did, it appears that the discontinuation of the addition of iodine to bread occurred because it was interfering with the uptake of radioactive iodine used in medical diagnostic of the thyroid.

curezone.com...

Bromide is an insidious, additive used in many common products, and as a pesticide. Because of the sheer amount of bromide-supplemented products, exposure to this man-made additive has caused a depletion of iodine in human populations. Studies in lab animals provide alarming evidence that even small amounts of bromide exposure can be toxic.

Thyroid Elevated bromide levels have been implicated in every thyroid disease, from simple hypothyroidism to auto-immune diseases to thyroid cancer. Malenchenko found bromide levels 50 times higher in thyroid cancer than normal thyroid tissue. (7) Rats fed even the minimal amount of bromine expected to be encountered in the environment underwent goiter-like changes (8), an arguable case of bromide dominance. In the FIRE project, exposing rats to the brominated flame retardant compound, bromocyclodecane, showed consistent effects on the thyroid hormone axis, including decreased T4. Thyroid gland cells have increased size and larger nuclei, indicating increased synthetic activity. (9) With enhanced intake of bromide, fully one-third of the iodine content in the thyroids of rats was replaced by bromide. (10) Skin Skin biopsied from a woman who had been on bromide-containing sedatives for nearly four years found increased bromide in normal skin and three times that in an affected skin lesion. (11) An infant administered a syrup containing sodium bromide developed vegetative lesions on the face and scalp. (12) Technicians exposed to brominated compounds for prolonged periods developed multiple cherry angiomas on the trunk and extremities. (12) Mental The psychiatry literature abounds with cases of elevated bromide levels being implicated in mental conditions from depression to schizophrenia. (14)(15)(16) As Guy Abraham, MD, asks, "How many people with misdiagnosed bromism are currently treated with psychiatric drugs?"(17) Bromide was used to suppress women's sex drive in the 1950s. Hearing Potassium bromate, a bread additive, is known to cause renal damage and permanent deafness in animals and man. (18) In the FIRE project, the most relevant effect on exposing rats to 28 days to the brominated flame retardant compound, tetrabromobisphenol-A, was hearing. Specifically, the lower frequency range was affected . (19) Kidneys The ability of bromate to cause cancer, especially kidney cancer, is a significant health concern. (20) The gene expression in kidneys in rats given a high dose 100-week potassium bromate in their drinking water showed marked gene expression difference from the lower non-cancer dose. The high dose kidney gene expression resembled an adenoma-like expression pattern. (21)

Source

The effects of bromate extend well beyond the thyroid.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by OrganicAnagram33

this is a very good list of things that im intreasted in.. being that im a underactive throide diagnosed. but in recent years i have stopped taking the thyroxine. and feel better for it. my gp didnt listen to me so its rely become a problem trying to get pepole to understand why.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Don't forget that most of those foods are not goitrogenic after they are cooked so they are still healthy.

Also, the crucifers are anti-estrogenic so they will help with reducing estrogen in men and women who need it. Yes men produce estrogen. The one nucleus lipid storing fat cells actually produce estrogen. Crucifers can help you lose weight by helping balance hormones when estrogen is high. Some women can benefit from reducing estrogen if they are having excessive symptoms while menstruating.
Also, members of the onion family actually encourage the production of testosterone in men.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

It says "Certain raw foods (cooking inactivates the goitrogens) have been identified as lightly goitrogenic." directly under the heading "Goitrogenic Foods" in my post. Thank you for adding the information on cruciferous foods though.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I found this info today about GMO soybean oil being not much better than regular soy oil. Soybean oil does possess goitrogenic properties even when heated. Most vegetable oils aren't really that good for us from what I have read in official reports. The companies keep twisting the evidence to try to deceive us into thinking these things are healthy, when in fact they are just a slight bit less unhealthy than what they are comparing them to. There are way healthier alternatives in oils.

www.sciencedaily.com...
edit on 5-3-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 01:20 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouseGo back to basics. LARD, COCONUT OIL, and OLIVE OIL. That's all folks.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: badgerprints

LOL cooking kills your food only a few chemicals are enhanced one being lycopene in tomatoes, cook meat above a certain temperature and it produces hydrogen sulphide above 100f it starts to denature
They are also bombarding us with chemicals that mimic womens oestrogen, Mercury, BPA, Sodium Lauryl Sulphate, Dairy products, Soy and some other legume plants.

The Halogen elements which are Fluorine 9 (atomic number) Chlorine 17 and Bromine 35 will all replace the larger element Iodine 53 they fit into the receptor and prevent Iodine being absorbed.

Notice it is not fluoride (which is derived from uranium production) which is a completely different poison, all of the lower halogen elements are toxic to us where as Iodine is not unless you overdose or have a genetic problem.

The water companies are now mixing ammonia with chlorine as chlorine evaporates out of the water its called chloramine.

I'm currently trying to get Sydney council to take Bromine out of the swimming pool water system as I have shown them it is toxic to ingest in humans.

They use Fluoride in your medicines this is one of the reasons they have to put the poison symbol on most medicines

Its pointless me putting links up as about 20% of my posts get blocked by this site and its all out there for you to research yourself.

edit on 8-3-2015 by jinni73 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join