posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 08:10 PM
Just in case this may help someone who reads this I am posting a follow up message. I spent several hours trying to fix this problem. After some
free online help which didn't work and even a call to a overseas (Pakistani?) Dell tech support technician who didn't help either, I found a fix
myself. I'm really disappointed with Dell tech support. I know Dos commands and this not so smart Dell tech kept telling me to type in the same old
dir command line again and again when I kept telling him that directory did not exist. After an hour, he ended the call by saying, "try again in two
days", yeah right, that was alot of help.
Anyway to the solution I found. I read on someone's web site about using windows diagnostic tools. I lost the website when my pc started to fix
itself. Anyway one tool for WinMe was to type in at the Run box (after you click on Start) was msinfo32 and then press enter.
Anyway, after looking around, I clicked on Tools, then on a line called Registry checker. Voila, it stated an error was found and immediately
proceeded to restore a backup copy of my registry and then rebooted my pc. All my previous windows restore points are still inaccessible but I can
use windows restore now. Actually my pc got restored back to the way it was before all my problems started to occur. I feel I
I believe I will manually save all the important windows files using dos just in case I have this sort of problem again.
[Edited on 25-7-2004 by orionthehunter]