It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese Leaders Leave People in the Dark

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Having watched a lot of the cable television coverage since the 9.0 Earthquake and the Nuclear aftermath, I must say I wonder how accurate the news.

Are we being told the truth? How much is being withheld? And why?
Are the radiation levels falling?
In Japan, is there good information getting out, or are the people being shielded from the truth?

Despite the new openness, the Japanese people are still waiting in vain for reliable information about the possibility of a meltdown and useful instructions on what they can do to protect themselves. What, for example, are the 30 million people living in the Tokyo metropolitan area supposed to do if Edano in the near future announces even higher radiation rates?

The cabinet secretary is visibly making an effort to avoid panic. Instead he prefers to rely on truisms like this: "The further away you move the lower the radiation levels will become."

Fear is mounting amongst the Japanese and their trust in Tokyo's announcements is dissipating quickly. The numerous panels of experts being interviewed on Japanese television are also expressing their bewilderment at the paucity of information coming from the government and Tepco. "Why aren't they giving us clear information?" they ask. "This is really getting irritating." By now you can hear commentary like that on all the channels. What the world is currently experiencing is the typical Japanese habit of trying sweep accidents under the carpet -- out of shame and a false sense of group loyalty or corporate spirit.

spiegel.de

Related stories:

Germany "placating" voters?
EU debates nuclear future
EU debates nuclear future

edit on Tue Mar 15 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: fix links

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I fear its is running a tad deeper than only the news. I have a friend who is stationed at the Yokosuka Naval Hospital as a Hospital Corpsman. This morning, she posted on her facebook something along the lines of:

complaining about the latest quake centered near Fuji, and how it was a foreshock to the bigger one expected in the next 48 hours (:puz
. She also talked about the Commander Fleet Activities Yokosuka's advisories pertaining to the levels of radiation. She then said, it's time to pack her bags.

20 Minutes later, her entire post, and all its comments were removed.

Me thinks the military may be imposing some sort of info net. I've seen it before, where a superior see what you've posted and "advises" you to remove it.

Take that for what you will.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

You bring up some points that I have been wondering about. The old-school Japanese tradition is (in a lot of ways) to maintain a stone-faced stoicism up to a breaking point beyond which it's just pure unfettered catharsis. Not really a coping mechanism designed for shades of grey.

I think there is a real possibility of the People In Charge downplaying the crisis as they stoically face it, believing that they will triumph and will fix it and when the time comes for them to level with the people it is going to be a media equivalent of seppuku.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I get the sense there is alot of cover-up too.
While watching the BBC live feed, there was a portion of the video where the broadcasters were discussing the ramifications and they would NOT look into the camera - only down a few feet in front of them. It seemed they were guarding their tongues.
www.bbc.co.uk... Not sure if they still are playing it.

I'm not sure how much Tepco is telling the government though. They may be hiding information in fear that they will lose future government business or just out of pure shame.

If I had to tell my people that their country they love may be questionable to inhabit after some time - I might have a hard time breaking the news too. But for their safety and peace of mind - they need disclosure - without the people there is no country - they need to remember that.

Mini-rant: I think what bothers me most is that people are desensitized to how serious radioactivity is. They are saying they are getting about the dose of a CT scan per hour now. Well...that's per hour and when you are actually getting a CT scan, doctors don't exactly like to keep you in there with the radiation. (At least the ones I know.) It might seem fine or normal to some, but this is accumulated over time and at higher doses than nature likes. Our endocrine and reproductive systems are highly sensitive. No fear mongering here - just shedding light on how unnatural this is.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Very little we can trust. The fact that a site with geiger monitoring was taken offline and a rather bogus site offered in its place (with some unknown data being "simulated") leaves me with a certainty that something is WAY up. And we're not to know about it.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Nail hit on the head OP.

They are saving face trying not to cause panic..

Either way if they let people know early they can prepare..

This has been way downplayed.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
What really pisses me off just about more than anything is this....You click on a video, a important video, that may save peoples lives, and right then and there pops up a dam commercial trying to sell more of corporations $hit....That is all they care about.....Fiat N.W.O. Federal Reserve bills......These bastards don't give a dam about a human life..These scum, reptillian led bastards....I'll be so glad when it all comes to the END !!!!

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I found this about an hour or 2 ago.

edition.cnn.com...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
S+F

everyone needs to be aware of them hiding facts, the faster more ppl get to realize it, the more ppl take matters into their own hands and save themselves by leaving affected areas

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Perhaps they are leery of telling too much, afraid that the past problems with TEPCO would surface, I heard something on TV earlier about some scandal, and now this:

Many nuclear experts are leery of TEPCO, partly because of its history. A scandal shook public confidence in the company 10 years ago, when it was discovered that TEPCO managers had doctored reports on leak tests performed during safety inspections in their nuclear power plants.

As a result of the TEPCO scandal, Japanese citizens have become increasingly mistrustful of their government and the nuclear industry. Japan generates about a third of its electricity with nuclear power and is about as dependent on reactors as France.

www.spiegel.de...

I don't like the way I keep hearing the reports about the reactors.
I don't especially distrust nuclear power, but I do distrust governments who lie and corporations that cut corners and play with the safety of their customers.

This is a very serious situation and the people of Japan have the right to know exactly what is going on so they may have some control over their futures....or what is left of them

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

I found this short video to be illuminating, and it sent me on to find much more evidence that there
is a large scale cover-up underway.

A large scale cover-up of the extent and severity of Japan’s multiple nuclear meltdowns is now underway, according to Yoichi Shimatsu, the former editor of the Japan Times Weekly. Mr. Shimatsu appeared on CCTV, China’s state-run television network.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
This is an interesting video of a guy complaining that there is a total information shutdown in Japan. They are broadcasting comedy shows on all channels and no critical info reach the man in the street.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

video link not working

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Hope this one stays up long enough for someone to record!

reply to post by xavi1000

Originally posted by burntheships
Located this video that has dissapeared.

Right now I dont have the ability to record this - if someone does it would be a good idea to save it.

www.youtube.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join