It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Family Member in the Navy has Radiation Poisoning and is being Quarantined on the USS Roosevelt

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

first line from extext in my post, that i just posted.

With more aid for victims on the way, the U.S. Navy said it was redirecting three ships to work in the Sea of Japan on the country's west coast rather than risk the hazards of radiation and the debris field in the waters off the east coast. Sensitive air monitoring equipment on the aircraft

did you notice it says redirecting, which implies, to move

and didn't you also notice this line in the text,

The Navy said Monday that radiation was detected by another carrier, the USS Ronald Reagan, and that 17 helicopter crew members had to be decontaminated after returning from search and rescue duty. The Navy said more crews were exposed to very low levels of radiation Tuesday and had to be decontaminated.

the op might have some facts wrong i don't know for sure, but i do believe that his cousin could have been exposed, and that the navy is not giving complete info out on radiation.

and i guess me and the op are the only ones who might have problems with communications between extended family memebers,

edit on 16-3-2011 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   

As long as the radioactive dust is cleaned off of him he can't give radiation poisoning to another. It's not contagious.

True.

I'm a bit leery of the OP's post, but hey, it's in the Grey Area, so have to take it for what it is.
The experts are stating this as a level 6 (Chernobyl was a level 7).

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
im taking this thread at face value BUT the story as laid out, anyone of us could say the same thing..get offended at peoples skepticism and then just keep repeating the story and putting links up to 'verify' said story.

Monkey..the problem is you have not done a very good job showing others that this is true. im sure you have info that could help with your story ie..is he stationed on the G. W. or another ship? is he one of those 17 pilots that we keep hearing about? is he a piolot? just some basic military info could have helped out from the begining..or when you said "extended family" you meant that you didnt even know he was in the military?

ATS may be an "open forum" as you called it but, that doesnt mean that everything can and will be taken as the truth. there are lots of us hear that spend hooooooours digging and reading info and we could possiby help you get this info out with some facts to help

here is a basic wiki linken.wikipedia.org... abiut the amount of radiation and the damage it can do..i dont post this to be morbid, but the symptoms that you desribed dont sound good at all.

is there anyway you can get back in touch with your "uncle bob" to re-hear his original story?

we are trying to understand your story but right now all we have is a text conversation by an unknown person about unknown people in an unknown and secretive situation with unknown facts.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
So far, I am operating under the assumption that the OP might have had limited or faulty information as it filtered from a sick relative, through the military, through extended family, to our OP, and then had to be re-typed for ATS.

The story has a lot of holes, but that doesn't make it an intentional Hoax. Perhaps it was exaggerated before it got to our OP, or perhaps it is true and covered up for now? It is possible we will only get a few personal accounts of it and never get an official source.

I see no reason to attack the OP, but it is certainly prudent to question the story and try to track down corroborating information.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Guys, I have to say that this story shouldn't be getting this kind of attention.

First off, the Navy has decon and health support on their ships. My father was Navy, my uncle was Navy. During my stint in the army, my team was once the guests of a US Navy carrier for about a week. All ships are able to give a lot of medical attention to their crew, or link up with another carrier group that can. On that ship after we boarded, I was getting stitched up as a seaman in the next exam curtain was being prepped for surgery. They have the facilities to do this stuff at sea.

Second, if a military unit wants to cover something up, they can and will. In Iraq, FOBs went on blackout when a soldier died or was wounded until the family could be notified. By blackout, I mean that we'd be talking at a phone bank and all of our phones would cut out at once. All internet went down, and only the headquarters could stay active to communicate with other units.

This story just doesn't add up.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

USS GW has a nuke team on board, and they were doing drills with SK at the time. With the reactors that Japan is using it is very plausable that our guys did get rad poisoning. Esp if they were actively assisting in the containment efforts.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by 43mike

A carrier like the USS George Washington basically has the full capabilities of a hospital on board, so yes, no doubt if the story is true, the person is being professionally treated.

The symptoms though, seem a bit exaggerated... Even the guys who went in right after the A-Bomb tests on Bikini, for example, (and later died) didn't even report symptoms as drastic.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Im hearing you sir! A possible case of chinese wispers

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Only way this can get insanely serious is if the radiation is fully 100% exposed and never covered up and cooled down.Seems the news is scaring people in the U.S. mainly.Hopefully that does not happen.Some people have been exposed to lower radiation levels who are wokring at the plant.I think it all depends on the amount that has escaped through cracked walls or through possible explosions and fires and steam that has escaped.However I gues if you lived in northern Japan it would be another story.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Reading over the comments in this story from Stars and Stripes, it seems that several people who have relatives on the USS George Washington have heard from their relatives that the people on the carrier and the people in Yokosuka are OK.

My son is currently stationed on the USS George Washington. He was on the ship the day of the earthquake. He said they'd been tossed around a little, but everyone was fine. His wife was in base housing when the quake occurred & said that aside from the even just being scary for the personnel living in the quarters, everyone there was fine too.

In fact, I can't find anything that states that the USS GW was anywhere near the nuclear plant. It's docked some 3 hours south.

Maybe I missed some info in the thread, but I'm still keeping an open mind.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
i.dailymail.co.uk...

Photo of Fukashima taken this mornin i think.

Hey guys whats yout thoughts on this picture, there seems to be a lot of similarly shaped cylindrical objects in the photo ie like the smaller object on the flat roof in the foreground.Does anybody reckon these are spent fuel rods?
as we know that rods were being stored in the tops of the reactor towers.166,000 of them i have heard in one estimate.

fukk article here:

www.dailymail.co.uk...
edit on 16-3-2011 by auraelium because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I smell BS.

First of all, how could the radiation have already been there? This is how the meltdown was started:

The tsunami cut off electricity. This led to the cooling systems failing. Over a period of a few days, the nuclear fuel started heating up, leading to a potential meltdown. They eventually started to run the cooling systems on batteries. The coolant was pretty much straight away at max temperature and became much less effective, so it is cooling the fuel down very slowly. A few days into the whole thing, they vented some radioactive gases to release pressure.

A FEW DAYS IN. That is pretty much the first time any radiation was actually let out of the powerplant.

The tsunami had no direct effect on the nuclear powerplant, it didn't come into contact with any radioactive material, and other than when material was vented, I don't think any radioactivity has been let out.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
If those sailors were sending emails reveailing military secrets and writing about sensitive military stuffs, these same emails could be used against them in a military court, if we assume this is true.
I think its zero posibility.
edit on 16-3-2011 by zilebeliveunknown because: not allowed

link   
reply to post by Techy

Of course its BS! The radiation levels at the plant are only just reaching the levels in which the Workers can no longer continue, The George Washington is reporting a slightly bumpy ride but otherwise smooth operation, Radioative material that could cause such severe sickness has not yet been released from the plant, Besides the Washington hasnt even got involved as much as the other ships, Such a sickness would cause america to immediately withdraw from the area, but this simply just isnt the case. The troll has asked to be fed and everyones fed him.....

link   
I have been following this one for a while now, trying to figure out what the deal is...and it's a toughy.

OP is still posting, confusion is the word of the week and hey, why the hell would anyone make something like this up? At the very worst im thinking miss information/confusion/crossed wires

OP I really hope your not talking s**t, it would be really really sad if you were, but I have a feeling your not - I think you are just receiving jumbled info from scared relatives, so I for one will give you the benefit of the doubt for now, please keep us informed...oh and if I did smell bs then I wouldn't post, I'd just go away, so give him a break and stop getting personal please, for all you know it could be real and he could lose a member of his family soon
edit on 16-3-2011 by doubledutch because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Monkeywrench30,
I am very sorry to hear about your family member.

I am not surprised at the vultures here at ATS some of which I like a lot but when something like this happens to a family member you might not get the info correct the first time around your mind is in shock and you want to share with facts that might be incorrect at the moment.

I believe this member, show compassion please.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
There were some helicopters delivering relief supplies from the USS George Washington that were exposed to radioacive debris from the reactors. The helos had to be decontaminated. Their crews and the people who did the decontamination were kept in Sick Bay for observation
This is standard proceedure. The info about the helos has been on the news, you will have to take my word for the rest. I'm not getting my source in trouble.

edit on 16-3-2011 by JIMC5499 because: corrected spelling

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Reading over the comments in this story from Stars and Stripes, it seems that several people who have relatives on the USS George Washington have heard from their relatives that the people on the carrier and the people in Yokosuka are OK.

My son is currently stationed on the USS George Washington. He was on the ship the day of the earthquake. He said they'd been tossed around a little, but everyone was fine. His wife was in base housing when the quake occurred & said that aside from the even just being scary for the personnel living in the quarters, everyone there was fine too.

In fact, I can't find anything that states that the USS GW was anywhere near the nuclear plant. It's docked some 3 hours south.

Maybe I missed some info in the thread, but I'm still keeping an open mind.

And with this information, I will be waiting for the OP to come back and say "Wait, wrong information again...not the George Washington...the Ronald Reagan".

After seeing so many hoaxers with this MO, like our friend Bernard Schnitzel, I just have a hard time believing stories that are changed SO much. And not the little details being changed...the MAIN details are being changed and only after others point out how incorrect they are. To me, that is a classic hoaxer technique.

I'm not one to believe until it is proven false...I am more skeptical until it is proven true.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
There were some helicopters delivering relief supplies from the USS George Washington that were exposed to radioacive debris from the reactors. The helos had to be decontaminated. Their crews and the people who did the decontamination were kept in Sick Bay for observation
This is standard proceedure. The info about the helos has been on the news, you will have to take my word for the rest. I'm not getting my source in trouble.

edit on 16-3-2011 by JIMC5499 because: corrected spelling

From all sources I've seen, those helicopters were from the USS Ronald Reagan.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by MonkeyWrench30

USS George Washington (CVN 73) is an American nuclear-powered supercarrier just to let everyone know

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join