It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prisoner saves $11,000 -- but state wants it to cover jail stay

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Demetre

I'm with you on them working for free and i love that AZ prison.
Work or stay in your cell,Work or only get bread and water.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by syncelebrity
reply to post by StigShen

actually on about half of what you have said is wrong. Food is high quality,,,they have a contract with whole foods here for fish, produce, and grains. TV is absolutely living good. Yes the phone calls should be given but only once in a while like hmm once a week not three times a day. In my state they dont pay for the commisary. They have tokens they are given for not getting in trouble. Is your opinion biased due to the fact that youve been to prison or have a close one incarcerated

edit on 15-3-2011 by syncelebrity because: (no reason given)

I was a CO for a while. Did some time in County too before I was acquitted at trial. NY state.

As far as the food goes, I dont care who their contract is with, it's still institutional government grade food. SO what do you suggest, the bread and water diet?

TV is not a luxury it is a necessity in prison. Like I said, it keeps the prisoners from going insane and keeps the CO's safer.

You phone calls bit is semantics. Either they should get calls, or they shouldn't. It's not up to you to determine what specific policies a warden has in running his prison. Phone privileges are not automatic, and certainly are not three times a day every day by default.

Okay, so in your state they dont pay cash for commissary. Instead it is an incentive to behave. What's wrong with that?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by GunzCoty

why can't the tax payer bill the state the same?

Not sure I understand this, please explain?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Its probably good to state that each state county facilities very in what they offer greatly, I know that here (ca) for a time they had contracts for fast food overages, they would get things like big macs and etc for awhile.

My drunken disorderly friend was greatly distressed when he went back and they had switched to a healthier food supplier and he had to eat health while there, we all started joking calling prison his fat camp, because when he'd go in he would drop like 15 pounds.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Prisons are already big business in the US, too much so. The last thing we need is ANOTHER profit incentive for corruption.

Judges Plead Guilty in Scheme to Jail Youths for Profit
edit on 3/15/11 by StigShen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by StigShen
Prisons are already big business in the US, too much so. The last thing we need is ANOTHER profit incentive for corruption.

Judges Plead Guilty in Scheme to Jail Youths for Profit
edit on 3/15/11 by StigShen because: (no reason given)

I saw that previously, it was/is truly outrageous.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Well (unless the state is not paying for the prison) Why cant the tax payer bill the state/prison for the money they get from prisoners (if they win the case).

The prison wants the inmate money but its the taxpayer that is paying for the prisoner not the state/prison.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

It is true that polices vary from state to state and from prison to prison. Personally, I think a higher food quality should be required of the prisons. Not from a comfort standpoint, but from a health standpoint. The prisons have no right to endanger the health of inmates by feeding them fast-food.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by StigShen
reply to post by benrl

It is true that polices vary from state to state and from prison to prison. Personally, I think a higher food quality should be required of the prisons. Not from a comfort standpoint, but from a health standpoint. The prisons have no right to endanger the health of inmates by feeding them fast-food.

Also, a better/properly nutritious diet would lower health care costs.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
if he went to prison and was not expected to be rehabilitated with his own devices upon exiting then why send him to prison any way; why not an instant execution? if the question as to what he does while in prison or where he send any of his own funds as a "free man" arise; why is he given the choice of what to do and where to and how to allocate his own needs for survival: why not make these choices, instead of making him pay doubly for having made a choice pertaining his own well being?

the title of this thread is misleading; and all persons american or not should take note that prison is not jail; and bars a person could be behind while similar in the two are entirely different. if the county or city he was arraigned in wants his 11k for the fees attributed to his stay prior to entering prison...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by GunzCoty

OIC

Yes your right, Privatization of the prisons was supposed to be a cost saving measure for the government, so I would assume these people are making a profit otherwise why run a prison.

But I believe it is unclear where this money is going, Is it the company that runs that prison keep compensation or is it the State taking the money to cover the cost of giving money to the business running the prison? at which point the state could reinvest the money to other areas.

I however doubt citizens (baring a civil case against the inmate) would see any money.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

As well as food does make people more agreeable, depending on diet, they don't feed them red meat in federal for this reason( ive heard, unsure the truth of that last part)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
The United States keeps more of its people in prison than any other nation on the planet, including Communist China. So who is the real police state? China has over a billion people but a half million fewer prisoners. Per capita, they don't even make the top 20 list. The US has less than five percent of the worlds human population, but 25% of the world's total prison population.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ausar
if he went to prison and was not expected to be rehabilitated with his own devices upon exiting then why send him to prison any way; why not an instant execution? if the question as to what he does while in prison or where he send any of his own funds as a "free man" arise; why is he given the choice of what to do and where to and how to allocate his own needs for survival: why not make these choices, instead of making him pay doubly for having made a choice pertaining his own well being?

the title of this thread is misleading; and all persons american or not should take note that prison is not jail; and bars a person could be behind while similar in the two are entirely different. if the county or city he was arraigned in wants his 11k for the fees attributed to his stay prior to entering prison...

I'm a little confused by your post, but that may be my medicine head v. the posting

I agree, with your first point, that if a person is not expected to be rehabilitated then why not an instant execution. When he was convicted, IL had the death penalty and he did not receive it, he received a 60 year sentence.

After that is where I get confused. So, just to make sure we are on the same page. He did not earn this money while free, he earned while incarcerated by participating a prison work program, he did not have it prior to entering jail, he saved it over the past 20 years by making furniture that the prison would sell for a profit.

P.s. to anyone out there, where is that money? The money the state made off of the sale of the furniture. Hmmmm.......

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

"They're trying to build a prison,
They're trying to build a prison,

Following the rights movements
You clamped down with your iron fists,
Drugs became conveniently
Available for all the kids,
Following the rights movements
You clamped down with your iron fists,
Drugs became conveniently
Available for all the kids,

I buy my crack, my smack, my bitch,
Right here in Hollywood,

Nearly 2 million Americans are incarcerated
In the prison system, prison system
Prison system of the U.S.

They're trying to build a prison

They're trying to build a prison, (for you and me to live in)
Another prison system,
Another prison system,
Another prison system.

Minor drug offenders fill your prisons
You don't even flinch
All our taxes paying for your wars
Against the new non-rich,
Minor drug offenders fill your prisons
You don't even flinch
All our taxes paying for your wars
Against the new non-rich,

Right here in Hollywood,

The percentage of Americans in the prison system, has doubled since 1985

Another prison system,
Another prison system,
Another prison system.
For you and me, you and me.

For you and me,
Oh baby, you and me.

All research and successful drug policy shows
That treatment should be increased,
And law enforcement decreased,
While abolishing mandatory minimum sentences,
All research and successful drug policy shows
That treatment should be increased,
And law enforcement decreased,
While abolishing mandatory minimum sentences.

Utilizing drugs to pay for secret wars around the world,
Drugs are now your global policy,
Now you police the globe,

Right here in Hollywood,

Drug money is used to rig elections,
And train brutal corporate sponsored
Dictators around the world.

They're trying to build a prison, (for you and me to live in)
Another prison system,
Another prison system,
Another prison system. (for you and me)
For you and I, for you and I , for you and I.
For you and me,
Oh baby, you and me.

They really are...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Oh i know this one I saw shawshank, the wardens pocket?
that might be my medicine kicking in...
edit on 15-3-2011 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

System of a Down. Dont really care for their sound, but man, you gotta love their message.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
If this is allowed to occur, I wonder how many more people will be sent to jail as opposed to probation or other methods?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

I do believe the corruption in the system in general is absurd and the war on drugs a huge waste.

That being said we are a country of laws, this comes down to a legal matter for the courts, and has huge implications to the future of how we handle prisoners and prisoners. Lets not focus to much on this one murder and his "rights" as that is what they want so people (like me) will say "HEY he killed people he get no money"

People need to look on the larger picture, are we okay with this being applied say to the kid whose in there for selling a joint to his buddy?

OR the stock broker in there for insider trading.

See if this stands it applies to all inmates, the discussion should not be about this one dude but the larger issue.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

You already have to pay for your probation too...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join