It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Group to release video showing chickens at KFC supplier being kicked, stomped and thrown

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 10:16 PM
link   
This is appalling!!! I will not purchase anything from this company or KFC. The least we can do is treat our food sources with some type of humanity! I went for ever without eating Tuna...I can do it with chicken if need be!

Animal rights group to release video showing chickens at KFC supplier being kicked, stomped and thrown

NEW YORK (AP) -- An investigator for an animal rights group captured video showing chickens being kicked, stomped and thrown against a wall by workers at a supplier for Kentucky Fried Chicken, which has been under pressure since last year over the treatment of animals.

Officials from Louisville, Ky.-based Yum! Brands Inc., which owns the fast-food chain, saw the video Monday. Kentucky Fried Chicken "will require that the employee or employees responsible will be terminated," KFC spokeswoman Bonnie Warchauer told The New York Times for a story in Tuesday editions.

Further violations at the plant will "result in termination of our relationship," Warchauer said.

The footage was secretly taken at the Pilgrim's Pride plant in Moorefield, W.Va., by an investigator for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals who worked there from October to May.

A Pilgrim's Pride spokesman said that in light of the video, the company would reopen an investigation into earlier claims of cruelty at the plant.

In a July 22-dated letter to the plant, copied to Yum! Brands and forwarded to The Associated Press, PETA says its investigator also obtained eyewitness testimony about employees "ripping birds' beaks off, spray painting their faces, twisting their heads off, spitting tobacco into their mouths and eyes, and breaking them in half - all while the birds are still alive."

PETA said it planned to ask West Virginia authorities to prosecute plant employees and managers under state animal-cruelty laws. The PETA investigator, who did not reveal his identity because he still does undercover work for the group, said he would testify if prosecution went forward.

PETA has been pressuring KFC since last year, when it sued the company and called for a boycott, demanding that KFC require suppliers to treat animals more humanely. The group has recently won similar concessions from other major fast-food chains, including McDonald's and Burger King.

hosted.ap.org...

[edit on 7/20/2004 by LadyV]

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 11:09 PM
link   
If people only did those kind of things to chickens i would be greatly relieved. The fact is that we are just one more nasty species. Aliens probably do similar things to people they abduct. Cats play with their prey. Saddam and many others have and do terrible things. We did horrible things at Abu Grabe. Im glad people, such as yourself, still care about other species, my concern though is more that we not destroy the environment so we and other species can survive. If we don't do that it is quite possibly suicidal.

Sometimes the only way to deal with other cruel humans and other species is to retain some of the capacity to be cruel ourselves. Civilized values require that we be able to control it.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 11:20 PM
link   
its super gross and sad what some people will do to animals. i mean i realize God placed us over them, but is it necessary to abuse them?

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 11:35 PM
link   
These punks need to do some HARD TIME. I have watched the video and it is sickening the way these idiots behave.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I just saw the video on the news and it is very disturbing!! These guys are acting like sadistic psychopaths!! I can't help but wonder how these men treat their wives and/or children, since it is known that people who torture animals often become people who abuse other humans.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I would like to trow them against a wall and kick
them in the head... Basterds...

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 05:20 AM
link   
BOO FREAKEN HOO, it is sad, I love animals , and I hate when the are abused, but why is this front page News, its a freaking slaughter house, dam how stupid is PETA, then without evidence they say the are certain it must be going on at all Chciken Plants, get real, these were some losers that need to be fired, but this is definately not front page news, another reason wht I hate PETA, they are good in theory , but they have washed away all their credibility by pulling stupid stunts like this,

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Read the book "Fast Food Nation"
It's a history of Fast food resturants,
and the rise of the Super Slaughterhouses that came with them.
I stopped eating fast food about half way through this book.
Apparently, most of the information has not been refuted.

It's not about killing animals for food, I think thats ok in my opinion.

It's about treating animals with respect, they are alive and aware, they
experience pain. The factory style slaughter houses, treat them as if they were any other kind of inanimate raw material.

It is a slaughter house, animals are killed for food, this isn't unnatural, but it has become too much of an assembly line.

They should all be inspected More often for violations,

Interestingly the bigger the processor, the lower number of inspections required.

I still eat beef , chicken etc.. I like it, but I always do my best to find out how it was raised, where it was slaughtered etc...

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 07:01 AM
link   
To be honest i think it shold be front page news infovacume,

This sort of thing needs to be stopped and the only way to do this is have the public know about it, the public will stop going to KFC due to this and KFC will feel the effect, so in turn will make sure something is done about it,
I think it it sickening and i sure would go out there and make this known,

I really find it hard that people can be so cruel, TO be honest im shocked at the way these poor animals were treated,

I found it very hard to watch, and i for one will not be going to KFC,

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I don't agree with the treatment on these animals, I think that a more humane way of killing should be used, but then I remember my father way of killing food as chickens was to grab the neck twisted a couple times and then ax the neck clean and that is the way it was done. Nothing more delicious and tasty that a farm natural grown chicken soup.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I would put more stock in this story if it was coming from someone other than Peta. That group has taken some crazy positions on issues lately. Peta was the group that lamented the fact that the PLO used a donkey in a suicide bombing. They would much rather that the PLO used men and women or even children rather than harm a helpless donkey. I in no way condone the abuse of chickens but Peta has been in an open war with KFC for over a year now and has vowed to bring them down since they did not bow completely to PETA's demands. KFC did originally cooperate with PETA to improve chicken handling proceedures but as they satified one demand PETA would just go and make more and more until KFC finally just snubbed them. Animal abuses take place every day in this country and it is a crime that is and will be punished. PETA however does more harm than good for their cause by being so looney in their stances.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I frigging dislike PETA with a passion, because I think anyone who would value animal life over human life needs to get their damn head checked out (and I also have a bad history with a couple vegans at my high school which gave me quite a bad outlook on that kind of culture, sorry, that's just the way it is). I think they're a bunch of fools. Sorry if you disagree, but whatever that's my opinion. Sure it's bad that animals get treated like #, but I'm not gonna stop eating at KFC, it's pretty tasty.

I've always wanted to start my own chapter of PETA and call it "People for the Eating of Tasty Animals" but we'll see where that goes.

And for the record I think this treatment is bad, but like I said it's not gonna make me stop eating the food that these chickens turn into. And I personally don't think that makes me a bad person. Sorry chickens, but you're in my stomach now.

[edit on 21-7-2004 by Faisca]

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 08:05 AM
link   
hey!!!!!!!Faisca I am half and half have meat eater have vegetarian,

nothing better than a nice stake or broil chicken with a nice salad. Right?

[edit on 21-7-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I couldnt watch the whole video- but i saw enough to get what was happening- that churns my stomach.

How can people do this- and yes the scary reality is that people do do it to other animals.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
hey!!!!!!!Faisca I am half and half have meet eater have vegetarian,

nothing better than a nice stake or broil chicken with a nice salad. Right?

Marg I'm with you there. And don't get me wrong, I think that's horrible what those people were doing to the chickens, but I don't think its any reason for me to stop eating at KFC. A couple of our military guys "abused" prisoners, and criminals get truly abused in our prisons every day, does that make me want to leave the country? No. I just have a beef with vegans and PETA members who try to force their crap down my throat, and I guess I'm kind of biased, but I loooove a good steak and potato with a salad on the side.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I am NOT a PETA supporter, thought they have done more to bring animal abuse to the fore front than any one else, but it really doesn't matter "who" is bringing the to the attention of the public, as long as it IS getting to the general public! Our food source animals need to be treated humanly. The way they are treated is appalling, sickening and despicable. I have to also worry about "anyone" who is so cold hearted and cruel that they have no compassion for something as innocent as an animal.....hell, I won't even trust or associate myself with those that don't like animals, I think there is something deeply missing within the character make up of a human that doesn't find anything appealing in animals.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Yeah I think those people are horrible jackasses, and I'd beat the everliving crap out of them if I saw them in the act. But the fact of the matter is that I'm gonna eat those chickens whether they're treated humanely or treated cruely. It just sucks for them if they're treated cruely.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 09:17 AM
link   
LadyV,

Sorry to say but animals are part of the food chain and me not been a vegetarian and neither any of my family members all I see is food, I grow up in a farm my grandfather had one and most of our meat came from it.

I am not new to see slaughter of animals for consumption, and even when animals were well fed nerveless they were for food, I remember my grandfather not letting us get to close or get to involved with the ones that were to be kill obviously because attachment or because we will refused to eat them if we thought they were pets.

But one thing is obvious is not the same as a mass production for food than a family own animals for food the treatment is definitely.
iferent.

d1k

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I would pay a fair amount of money to get the identity of those half witt red necks and throw them a beating two times worse then they did to those defenceless animals.

In fact, a beating is not enough, for anyone that has the IQ of a soap dish doing extremely cruel things to any living life should be brought out back and shot. Sick, uneducated idiots are the cause of most of the worlds problems, lets just get rid of them.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Faisca
Yeah I think those people are horrible jackasses, and I'd beat the everliving crap out of them if I saw them in the act. But the fact of the matter is that I'm gonna eat those chickens whether they're treated humanely or treated cruely. It just sucks for them if they're treated cruely.

True - lol - it's like the same as saying "I got friends who have worked at Taco Bell but it doesn't stop me from going" - lol

But one thing you have to stop and think about Faisca is that if they abuse the little chick-a-dees, do you think they really care if they're healthy, if they're consumable, if they're contaminated....

I had a veggan friend sit me down one day...a I have few veggan friends and my sister is one too, but this friend of mine made a point to sit me down and hand me a book...S laughterhouse: The Shocking Story of Greed, Neglect, and Inhumane Treatment Inside the U.S. Meat Industry

I still eat meat today....but this book slapped me in the face - it's got more "raw" stories in it that happened right here in my state of Florida...the scariest thing is how the gov't ignores these issues....whistle-blowers have no place in this "meat-market" and human safety as at stake....not only the safety of the consumers, but the safety of the butcherer...

What happens at KFC doesn't surprise me in one bit after reading that book - in fact I havn't eaten at KFC in a long time just b/c I never really liked the quality of their meat in the first place...but I'm a cook, so I guess that makes sense, lol....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join