It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twitter Ordered To Hand Over Data To US Government

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Twitter Ordered To Hand Over Data To US Government

www.eweekeurope.co.uk

Twitter has been forced to hand over details of user accounts to the US authorities in a case related to the US federal government’s ongoing investigation of Wikileaks.

Twitter is being asked to provide account information such as mailing addresses and session logs to the government.

The judge in the case, Theresa Buchanan, rejected arguments that the disclosure invades privacy, saying that the users had already made their user information public via Twitter.

“Our privacy in our Interne
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Ok so, so far it's just 4 people...... for now
but it sets a precedence nonetheless.

A very dangerous precedence

Everything starts with one stepping stone does it not?
They mostly win through incrementalism do they not?

It's pretty scary, not surprising but scary

The last time there was a similar precedence, following requests didn't even go through court but were just requests on sticky notes

Yes... sticky notes!!!

www.eweekeurope.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
OH SHEE*%$&*T!!

Gotta be very weary of those social networks...cause they OWN every keystroke!

Now so many average Joes could now have tabs on them by posts they made in jest.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
This is just sad.
Second line.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
What a sorry affair, and a sad state the world is getting into..
but I for one expect this from the Govs that want to know your inside leg measurements..

If Twitter (as it appears to me) is one of those companies that drags it heels in giving over information when requested, I wonder how many more simply give over the information when asked, I'd almost be willing to wager the percentage would be very very high.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
and this is the reason i dont Twitter, Facebook, Myspace or anything like that anymore

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Every social media site keeps everything you put on it, deleted or not. And when pressured most seem to readily give in. The same with search engines and sometimes ISPs. It's becoming dangerous to read?? Ridiculous.

Electromagnetic emissions//// It is possible to capture the electromagnetic emissions of a wired keyboard from up to 20 metres (66 ft) away, without being physically wired to it.[6] In 2009, Swiss researchers tested 11 different USB, PS/2 and laptop keyboards in a semi-Anechoic chamber and found them all vulnerable, primarily because of the prohibitive cost of adding shielding during manufacture.[7] The researchers used a wide-band receiver to tune into the specific frequency of the emissions radiated from the keyboards.

edit on 15-3-2011 by donatellanator because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I don't think any precedent is being set by this. A year ago it was said that all tweets, repeat ALL tweets, would be entered into the Library of Congress.

I am all about privacy, etc, but we as people sometimes have to take responsibility for it was well. If you're worried about the government data mining, don't use a social networking site. Seems easy.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Maybe somebody needs to create a new social network not controlled by USA.

Then we can all move to that.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
It is indeed a sorry and sad state of affairs, thats the truth....and on both sides of the story. Information provided to social networks should not be the business of any government and I see it as an invasion of privacy if that government comes looking for my personal information on a social network. How much more disclosure do they really need? Through my drivers license they know my address. Through purchases they can track my spending as well as my current whereabouts, especially if I use an ATM card/ credit card. They have access to my medical records and through my IP address they can track which websites I have visited. If I pose such a threat to society they can obtain my email records as well and use my own words against me.

However with that said, the public really needs to be more vigilant in protecting their private information too. I have to say that if a person is willing to put their private information out there on the internet, then they deserve what they get in terms of government crossing the boundries of decency and grabbing what info is put out there for everyone to see. We are quickly becoming a society in which we are making it increasingly easy for our government to intrude on every aspect of our lives as well as people out there with less than honorable intentions. If you give over your address on a social network site, then update your information with the fact you are out shopping please don't ask me to feel sorry for you that when you get home you've been robbed.... just as an example. I will however feel sorry for you that you did not have the foresight to protect your information better in the first place.

I know that sounds a bit harsh and for that I am sorry if I have offended anyone with that statement. But in all honesty what is happening here is that we are leaving the hypothetical door unlocked and inviting strangers in for a nice cup of hot tea and some scones and then wondering and wringing our hands in worry over where all of our rights went.

I belong to none of the social networks for the issue of privacy concerns me and I plan on never belonging to one either. Friends, family and business associates know my email address and and phone numbers so they can inform me of functions, send me pics via email and correspond with me in a timely fashion. This is why the fascination with social networks like Twitter, Facebook and LinkdIn just confounds me. Maybe its because I am older and realize that no one is really all that interested in knowing my whereabouts every minute of every day, or maybe its just that I enjoy my small amount of private time and prefer to live my life rather than tweet about it...which to me means I would not living it at all.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Well here is total proof our govenment is lying through thier teeth, and have teh worse intentions for us all. hide it all from our view, pulling a potato sack over our heads. the public has a right know..you dont hear that anymore do ya. seems up till the early 90's the media was thier, saying things like that. now, thier all about ratings and bad news..int he game for themselves.
seems the media was an extension of our righs and freedoms, keeping us informed of any wrong doings. the publics backbone. now thier in it too win for themselves.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by donatellanator

I have read somewhere a while ago ( cant remember exactly where ) that the FCC can record every keystroke off a keyboard, That is why The FCC logo is on the back of EVERY keyboard, ( Federal Communications Commission - btw ). I have no idea how true this actually is...

Even if this is totally untrue why is there a FCC logo on my keyboard when i dont even live in the USA,

The about page on the FCC site reads - The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is an independent United States government agency. The FCC was established by the Communications Act of 1934 and is charged with regulating interstate and international communications by radio, television, wire, satellite and cable. The FCC's jurisdiction covers the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and U.S. possessions.

Also i might add that on the bottom of every keyboard should read - This Device complies with part 15 of the FCC rules. Object is subject to the following two conditions

1. This device may not cause harmful interference,and

2. this device "MUST" accept any interference received , including interference that may cause undesirable operation.

I find that Strange. What interference is my keyboard going to receive that causes undesirable operation.

Sorry if this is slightly off topic but it corresponds with some comments i read on this thread. Please do not delete

Peace

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

BS and this is why, if is good for the state then it should be for the people

HB 477, which was passed quickly by the legislature last week, would severely curtail Utah's Open Records Law and deny access to Utah public records.
and this www.deseretnews.com... i think it is time we the people summit our own bills to be come law call them PB peoples bill, what say ye?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
TPTB are cracking down. They know we're getting closer to making their existence public.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
The federal govt. takeover of the internet is looming closer with the passing of each day. The current administration has granted sweeping authority to the FCC on the heels of net neutrality etc... Now we have Al Franken who wants to make any violation of Net Neutrality a criminal offense.

Franken said in a speech at the South by Southwest conference on Monday that he is planning legislation that would amend antitrust laws to "call violations of net neutrality out for what they are: anti-competitive actions by powerful media conglomerates that represent violations of our anti-trust laws."

Franken, one of the most vocal net neutrality supporters in the Congress, is taking an approach endorsed by some Republicans who say an antitrust approach to Internet openness might be appropriate.

House Judiciary intellectual property subcommittee Chairman Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.) has said he may also introduce a bill to amend antitrust laws to address net neutrality.

In his speech, Franken framed net neutrality as a fight against profit-driven corporations and encouraged the audience to speak up about the issue.

They are looking to open every possible door that may lead to total control.

thehill.com...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Its only going to get worse....with all the Bull shizat from the Patriot Act, and the ongoing molestation of our rights...its going to get bad..really bad!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

There is still hope. The first vote on the Patriot Act in the House failed early in february so a second vote was called and the extension passed a week later. However, the support for this PA is waning in the GOP and with the Dems. 27 republicans voted against it and 65 Dems voted for it.

The new Freshman on the floor know what's up with the Patriot Act and hopefully more will follow Ron Paul's lead the next time it comes up for a vote. The Patriot Act will eventually be put to rest only to be replaced by something else that is not so broad in its scope of power.

www.politico.com...

new topics

top topics

join